The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

5 posts Page 1 of 1
What blood tests to ask GP for?
08 May 2013, 13:03
I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow, to ask for a slip to get bloodwork done so that I can follow what kind of health changes IF is making to my body. I want to test EVERYTHING that I can possibly monitor (assuming that he will agree to send me for these tests -- I'll see how that appointment goes tomorrow!). Can anyone please share what type of tests I should ask him to complete? Thank you!
At the very least the basics: fasting blood sugar, LDL and HDL cholesterol, triglycerides
If you can, IGF-1.
I would ask for a complete Chemistry panel and complete Blood count.
Chemistry to include, Cholesterol/Lipid panel, Kidney function, Liver Function, Thyroid panel, along with Calcium/Phosphorus and Gluose or HgbA1C. Dont know whether Canada's health care coverage allows for these but that would be optimum. Yes, I work in the lab as a Med Tech!
Insulin level, vitamin D and magnesium would also be good.
Thank you all for your input. I brought this list to my doctor and he has advised that not all are an option here in Canada (at least not through our regular medical coverage). He has requested the following for me:
-- Hematology
- CBC
- ESR
-- Chemistry
- GLAC (Glucose)
- A1C (A1C)
- UN (Urea)
- Creatinine (includes eGFR)
- NA/K (Sodium and Potassium)
- CA (Calcium)
- MG (Magnesium)
- IP (Inorganic Phosphate)
- ALB (Albumin)
- LFT (AST, ALP, ALT, Bilirubin)
- LIPP (Trig, Chol, HDL/LDL)
-- Other
- TSH (Throid Stimulating Hormone)

If anyone knows what the acceptable 'levels' are for these blood test results, and what kind of changes would be considered good or bad, I would love to hear from you! I know I am getting pretty techy here, but I am finding all of this so interesting and really want to learn more, about it all in general, and about how it all affects me personally! :) Thank you! :geek:
5 posts Page 1 of 1