The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

24 posts Page 2 of 2
Cuddly, if your husband is around your age, which presumably he will be, and is carrying about 20 stone in weight then I can understand your concern. If he is drinking wine on a daily basis then he should seriously consider modifying his consumption. While a glass of wine can be relaxing the problem is that wines contain toxins and are high in sugar and can be addictive. If he also consumes any other soft drinks, even the fruit ones touted as being healthy, then he is building-up for a big let-down. He needs to look closely at the amount of carbohydrates in his daily diet and to consider ramping down on them; it is carbohydrates in the diet that is the principal cause of obesity. If he desires to ween off prescription medication given to control PB then a natural product that is beneficial is cinnamon. As a natural product the pharmaceutical companies cannot patent it so no profit and no interest. While cinnamon is sold in different ways such as sticks and capsules it is best bought from the herb shelves in the supermarkets and Tesco's own make is good value. Take up to a teaspoonful (depending on taste) in a small glass of water up to half-an-hour prior to meals to control the surge of insulin. With regular use it should be discovered that the BP readings should lower. It is certainly worth trying. There are no known adverse side effects.

Incidentally, glad to note that my weight had dropped by 2.5 lbs although BP readings have remained the same. A problem that I have encountered with fasting is the remarkable increase in energy which makes me more physically active but feeling energised I have difficulty at going to sleep so can lie awake for hours. Fortunately, whenever I do sleep it tends to be refreshing. I have to avoid having a meal too late in the evening as fasting appears to slow digestion which can disturb sleep through suffering indigestion. I am finding that the last meal should be at least four hours prior to retiring. Who else has had similar experiences?
Cinnamon is nice in coffee too...
Quick update:

My BP before starting the diet was 152/100, and I was on medication (hydrothiazide). That was measured at the doctor's office, but was consistent with what I was getting at home. I measure before breakfast and before taking the medication, which means I'm largely unmedicated at that point.

Monday was my third fast day. My BP has been gradually dropping. This morning (Wednesday) my BP was 138/85, before medication.

Although I've dropped some weight, it's still less than two weeks into the diet. I'd say this change in BP is more than can be explained by weight loss alone. Also, because I almost immediately started feeling woozy after the fast days, I cut my medication in half this week, watching to make sure my BP didn't go back up. So even though I measure BP before taking the medication, there's only half as much in my system to begin with.

Obviously, not everyone will have the same experience, but I thought this was dramatic enough to be worth sharing.
I share a similar experience to yourself Ubizmo; my BP after a few days on fasting dropped considerably but it was a daily fast rather than the recommended 5:2 ratio. I then opted to go over to the 5:2 only to discover that all that I gained had been lost within three days. On returning to daily fasting my BP lowered again but not by much, the systolic from 140 to 135. After a further week on daily dieting my weight dropped by 7 lbs and today's BP reading was 130/63 with a pulse of 65. My energy level remains high and other than nocturnal cramp which often awakens me I otherwise have slept better but only over the past few nights as previously I was feeling so energetic that I was tempted to scrub the kitchen floor in the wee sma' hours and it took considerable effort to curtail the temptation!
I started the fast diet on the 27th January 2013, my bp was 145/97, I'm 41 & weighed 15st 11. Today, I weigh 14st 10, my bp is 130/75!! I've lost 5 inches from my waist & don't feel like I'm on a diet. This dramatic change in 6 weeks inspired me to post for the first time in my life. When I started the diet I looked to see what information there was in relation to blood pressure & found this site. I'd like my experience to help anyone thinking of starting this diet to give it a go you will never look back. I feel indebted to Dr Mosley & his horizon program for opening my eyes to the diet originally, thank you.

I wonder whether recording bp on the progress tracker could be introduced? I would have found it very helpful to have had stats on it when I started.
Those are excellent results of the 5:2 fast 'adyb'. Others should find them encouraging and supportive in their own efforts. It is my intention to join the 5:2 brigade but only after I return from holiday in six week's time; meantime I too am not finding daily fasting difficult, indeed, with being able to have a meal each day it can hardly be termed fasting. The message appears to be that the stomach is healthier with regular fasts and when the stomach is happy so too are we. I encountered two antagonistic incidents today when 'out and about' but continued to feel composed and well within myself. Your progress report has re-confirmed to me the benefits of the 5:2 system. My BP this morning was down to 125/70, pulse 65. Surely our responses cannot be due to the placebo-effect, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYXq1Ox4sk
I have been treated for high BP for years. Although I have only been on the 5:2 diet for 3 weeks and have lost only 3kg of the 30kg I need to lose, I have started feeling wobbly from time to time and my blood pressure has dropped from typically 138/80 to 116/66.
I'll head off to my GP and see what he thinks about reducing my meds. I cannot see that the drop can be anything other than the 5:2 diet as my BP has been under control for years and nothing else has changed in my life.
Interesting link about salt. I have avoided the miso soup recommendation up until today as I know that salt sends up my b.p. This morning, I read two articles which claimed that the salt in miso soup does not affect b.p. In the way salt does elsewhere. I hope they are right. I had my first miso soup today -itsu brand- and it was very nice and helped stave off the hunger pangs, but 2 gr of salt!!!! I guess with so many healthy Japanese out there it makes sense that miso soup not bad for b.p......
24 posts Page 2 of 2