The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

20 posts Page 1 of 2
More appropriate area of forum.
25 Jun 2013, 15:19
Since my posting on Sunday was blocked from any of your responses to me, ( I see 200 have read it, but 199 can't bring themselves to approve it), it has been suggested I look at 5:2 Lab, rather than leave the forum completely.There is good information here, more in line with my needs. Call me a sour-faced, straight-talking granny, but this diabesity business is serious stuff......there's a time and place for fun and games, but my understanding was that this forum was not it!
The forum is an excellent resource, but the wheat is being stifled by the chaff at the moment.
Come on folks, lets get to grips with the real issue here! There is a big psychological element in diet management, as well as a lot for us all to learn about the practical applications, so don't hide behind superficial trivia, and expect the problem to resolve itself!
We all need a good laugh, and our spirits raised, but reading between the lines, I sense there are a lot of worried bunnies out there who are desperate for support in managing and understanding the intricacies of dietetics. There are answers here, but only if members have the time to plough through the rubbish.
There I go again, pontificating, and no doubt exposing myself to criticism, unless, of course, I get blocked again! Hey, Ho!!
I must have missed the post you are referring to, so I don't understand the context here, but I am glad you are staying. I think this forum is better when there are a diversity of voices represented. That said, I am mainly here for fun and games personally. :wink:
whether I agree with any of points or not telling people what they should/should not be talking about is definitely not, in my opinion, what this forum is about.

If people wish to be supported by talking 'superficial trivia' then good for them everyone has a right to use the resources in any way they see fit.

Maybe like me the 199 didn't like your dictatory tone either....
You sound angry. I am sorry if anyone here has upset you. I think everyone has the right to have an opinion and although I have not read your post the other day I do agree that this is no fun and games. Diet and weight issues are very serious and can be extremely depressing. I myself have chosen not to go out on ocasion because of embarrassment about my appearence. It is very tough to have food issues, and I for one am certainly still in the midst of the madness even though I am still giving this woe a go.,

Having said all of the above just remember when we have strong opinions there will always be strong retractors, but we need not to let this fact get us down.

I am glad you are staying.
Glad to see you're not leaving completely :)

I'm sorry you didn't like my decision to lock your leaving thread, however as stated in my response before locking it, in my experience of administrating forums (and please bear in mind I've been running forums since the mid 90's) I've found that the vast majority of topics like that go rapidly downhill and do more harm than good - especially given the circumstances leading up to it on this occasion.

Anyway, this isn't the place to debate the whys and wherefores of the locking! Nice to see you back and I hope you find the lab topics more fitting to your needs.
I'm glad you're staying - I really value your posts. I appreciate the serious discussion of important health issues, but I also find the banter and humour really cheering and supportive as I address the challenge of losing my weight, giving up or reducing unhealthy food, and getting to grips with fasting.
Nieve Blanco wrote: whether I agree with any of points or not telling people what they should/should not be talking about is definitely not, in my opinion, what this forum is about.

If people wish to be supported by talking 'superficial trivia' then good for them everyone has a right to use the resources in any way they see fit.

Maybe like me the 199 didn't like your dictatory tone either....

Please be careful with your comments, that last bit could be taken quite badly :( Do remember that the topic in question was locked, therefore however many views it had no-one was able to reply - regardless of how they felt about the topic/tone/poster or anything.

I don't want this topic turning into an argument, so please let's try to keep things decent.
Hi 140 and welcome back I did read it + just done lengthy reply but its gone into cyberspace, so here's the shorter version. We've all different views but like emsy said it should be about our food problems because a lot of people including me obviously have an eating''disorder'' of some sort
I have just posted to manderlay about how I say loads of stuff on here that no one in my life hears or knows about, so this forum is important to us all
I'm so chuufffed with my weight loss and I know you must be with yours because I remember you changing your name, how I long to get closer to where you are now. So let's all play together nicely :clover: Sue
Wow, a fast-moving topic! My post here has been redrafted several times as new replies have appeared!

140lbs, I am pleased to hear from you again as I thought we had lost you!

I value the 'serious talk' here as well as the trivia and both have a place. We are all coming from different places in dietary as well as geographical terms and some clash of views is inevitable. The experts out there can't agree so how are we expected to?

Re those clashes, it's best not to go too much into old history. What's really important is that where there is disagreement we keep it polite and measured and focused on the issues, and we avoid being implicitly or explicitly derogatory. Name-calling is ugly in the school yard and just as ugly online. The character of this place has always been friendly and supportive and if that changes you can chuck it as far as I am concerned, however good the science!

I think our members achieve this more than 99% of the time. We mods are very reluctant to edit or delete posts and would much prefer people to sort out any differences amicably themselves, which usually happens. When it doesn't then some sort of intervention may be required. Please everyone try to minimise those instances, but do report cases where you feel people have stepped over the line!

140lbs wrote: There are answers here, but only if members have the time to plough through the rubbish.

It's the nature of an active forum that there are new layers going on top all the time, of all sorts. That gives it life, but it also means lots of good stuff is buried further back, I agree.
Hi 140lbs, glad you are still with us and, indeed are joining the nerdy faction!

I have some homework for you (though you may have already done it of course): Read Peter Attia's blog: http://eatingacademy.com/start-here and also watch his video about ketosis (posted by skippyscuffleton the other day): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqwvcrA7oe8

Just been browsing his site...all v good stuff!
Hopefully we can keep the lab to discussions of the subject matter. The internet is a big place so we don't have to have discussions of everything everywhere.

I do wonder if the "rolling news" approach of the latest topics on the front of the site is beneficial, or if it draws readers to places they would be better off ignoring. Don't know if specific areas can be excluded ?

Anyway, welcome back.
Apologies if the last line of my email was offensive. This post struck a very negative cord with me but in hindsight that was an opinion I should have kept to myself :neutral:
Happy to see you are going to keep posting - there's strength in diversity and different viewpoints. I think most of us are learning a lot from this forum, not least how to get along with so many people with very different views on diet, weight management and life!!
Glad you're still with us.

This forum has been really good for me. The serious stuff to help me lose weight and the banter to keep me going when I need a distract (and not just from fasting!). The bickering isn't for me though.
Hiya!
I didn't see your post on Sunday but I searched for it and read it carefully.
Since it was locked, I will reply to you here.
First of all the person whom you're referring to wasn't as innocent as you think she was.
Second, she is the one who began the bullying.
Third, I see that you are a member of this forum since February. Have you ever encountered anything similar happening in those 4 months you've been around here? I'm here for a shorter length of time but I always remember love, support, sharing and encouraging. If a person jumps in and seems ready and willing to destroy that, it is only natural for most members to go against them.
20 posts Page 1 of 2