The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

10 posts Page 1 of 1
This is me to a T!

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet ... 2tgs7.html

Ever wondered why that single square of chocolate after dinner is never enough? Why it’s impossible not to consume the whole damn slab, even to the point of nausea?

Scientists no longer blame the tendency to binge on high-fat, high-sugar foods on sheer greed or lack of self-control. Rather, the urge to finish off the Pringles is now thought to be due to hedonic hunger - a powerful physiological response over which we have little control.

‘‘People shouldn’t feel guilty for not being able to resist certain foods,’’ says Zoe Griffiths, a dietitian and head of public health at Weight Watchers UK.

‘‘It’s not a question of not being strong enough.’’

Experts believe there are two drivers behind what and how much we eat. The first, the homeostatic system, regulates appetite according to the body’s need for energy. Homeostasis is controlled by communication between the brain and the digestive system: hence when we are in an energy deficit we get signals such as shakiness (caused by low blood-sugar levels), stomach rumbles and hunger pangs.

But the second driver, hedonic hunger, can override the former. It is defined as a physiological response, involving the brain’s ‘‘reward centres’’ to smelling, seeing and thinking about certain foods. The result is that we eat not according to energy needs, but purely for pleasure.

Richard Lowe, professor of psychology at Drexel University in Philadelphia, says neuroimaging studies have shown that in the presence of high-fat, high-sugar or high salt food, areas of the brain related to pleasure ‘‘light up’’, in a similar way to the brain changes seen in drug or alcohol addicts. The release of dopamine, a chemical strongly associated with the brain’s reward system, is also involved.

Ghrelin is a hormone normally produced by the stomach when the body needs energy, to stimulate feelings of hunger; but scientists have found it is also released in the presence of high-fat, high-sugar foods - even when the body does not need calories.The latest studies, from Oregon Research Institute, indicate that with time, dopamine release in the presence of such foods gets stronger, but starts to decline when we actually consume them. In other words, we need more of these foods to get our ‘‘hit’’.

The hedonic system is thought to have evolved from the time when humans were hunters and foragers and did not always know where the next meal was coming from. Primitive man developed the need to override homeostasis and to eat more than the body required. But today, experts believe hedonic hunger has become a liability, responsible for mounting levels of obesity. In response, Weight Watchers UK has changed its strategy to put more emphasis on how we can control our ‘‘personal food environment’’. That means taking simple steps such as not keeping cakes and biscuits on the desk in the office; or, if you have a long commute, ensuring you have healthy snacks such as fresh fruit available.

‘‘Simply understanding about hedonic hunger seems to help people make better choices,’’ says Zoe Griffiths.

‘‘Obesity is a natural reaction to the food environment we live in. When people understand that, they feel empowered to make better food choices.’’

The Telegraph, London
That's why I don't buy Pringles or keep chocolate in the house :confused: Cookies are my crack cocaine for sure and can't be anywhere in reach :shock:
Yum yum! I actually don't buy anything along the lines of crisps, chocolate, biscuits or cake though because (luckily?) they don't really bother me - I don't crave them.
My vices unfortunately are 'savoury' carbs so think buckets of rice, tonnes of pasta and slices and slices of pizza!
However, I think I would struggle with them in the cupboards and I would end up eating for the sake of it. The only thing I keep in the fridge is chocolate soy milk (99%fat free :razz: )
Lil :heart:
Also, since every one loves a good conspiracy theory...many junk foods are specifically studied and developed to have the right mouth feel, combination of salty, sweet and fat, taste, and crunch to make them irresistibly addictive. At least according to this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magaz ... d=all&_r=0
Chook - love the Avatar !! On topic - yes, pringles were designed specifically to get you to eat lots of them ! However, having watched a diet programme where they set fire to a pringle and you see all the oil dripping out of it, I've managed to steer clear of them and refuse to buy what in essence a tube of flavoured fat?! :grin:
It is easier to say no to Pringles, in the supermarket than in the house
Very interesting and helpful to understand why I get this urge to get stuck into chocolate etc and not stop til it's gone! LOL! Thanks Chook.
SianS wrote: It is easier to say no to Pringles, in the supermarket than in the house

Absolutely. And both for me and for members of the family who have a tendency to binge so I don't have any snacky things in - just buy them for one session when people are coming round/special occasion
What's worse is that this hedonistic hunger is more intense for those who have lost weight as the body tries to trick us into putting it all back on again :-(
10 posts Page 1 of 1