The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

17 posts Page 2 of 2
Huh...I'm pretty new at this; yesterday was fast day #6. But I've found that on my non-fast days, I can go much longer without eating and not being hungry. For example, today I broke my fast at noon with an egg wrap--lotsa nice protein--and haven't eaten since (it's 6:30pm), nor do I feel the need to yet. So, despite a BMI of 31+, I appear to be "fat-adapted" (able to burn fat rather than just sugar). I was thinking this was due to being more in touch with TRUE physical hunger (having experienced it on fast days), but now it seems there may be more to it.

I'm pretty skeptical about this supposed deadly danger of IF for women; of course, I'm post menopausal so it doesn't really affect me. Some of the forums that promulgate this idea seem to be the extremists--those who have to keep adding layer after layer of deprivation and unusual eating patterns. Hey, I have no problem with eating healthy food and eschewing fast food; I do myself. And I know from personal experience that just "eating healthy food" doesn't always lead to weight loss. Also, many of these forums are NOT practicing 5:2/IF in the way promoted here; they are doing a daily thing while severely restricting what they are allowed to eat as well. Hormones are very tricky things and it doesn't take much to disrupt them. I will say, when I was "childbearing age," I had very regular periods and got pregnant frighteningly easily.

For me, the whole point is not having to restrict myself all the time; I just can't stick with it. And as a vegetarian (for ethical reasons), I already feel I've given up enough food groups. I tried gluten free last year; really hard and didn't lose much, nor did I get any of the great results...so I guess I'm not "sensitive" to gluten. But I am to b____t.
Hi,
I read that and similar articles when I started this and I had noticed my blood glucose was up after a non fast day - am not diabetic, I just monitor my sugars because my brother is so there was I thinking it was something to do with fasting not being good for women. In reality (now 4st lighter with normal blood sugars) I think it was basically because I was just verging into pre-diabetic blood sugar realms because of my size and nothing to do with fasting. Still fasting (and no ill effects). I have read though that people who suddenly switch from a low carb regime to a higher carb one will have a more exaggerated response in their glucose levels than normal - as carorees said. Hey ho.
17 posts Page 2 of 2