The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Avoiding losing too much weight
08 Oct 2013, 17:19
Just wondered whether anyone could give me the benefit of their experience.

I started 5:2 back in June, with the intention of continuing doing it as a general way of eating for life, for the other health benefits rather than specifically losing weight. I only really had a few pounds to shift, and was quite pleased to see them disappearing.

Since the end of July, what with various things like going on holiday, and school holidays, and a number of other things that have got in the way of fasting 2 days a week, I have mostly only been doing 6:1 with the odd 5:2 week and odd week of no fasts. However, I still seem to have lost weight since the end of July. I have only weighed myself (last week) once since July, so I don't know at what point that weight came off, but I am now wondering how to continue.

I don't want to become underweight (obviously). But I do want to continue to benefit from the better blood chemistry etc that this WOE has to offer.

Any ideas? Anyone know whether eating more on the normal days works or if a 24 hour fast where you eat more at dinner is better?
As you have only weighed once, you don't know for sure that you have really lost weight...we can all vary by up to 4lb on any given day.

If I were you I would weigh daily for a couple of weeks at least and see whether the trend is up, down or stable.

If you find you are losing weight then I'd suggest you try one 24-hour fast a week where you have no calories and then eat your fill at dinner. You will get the benefit of fasting, you'll have a full tummy to go to bed with and you will have had more calories on that fast day than if you had 500 cal over 36 hours. The 24 hour full fast, according to Dr M's expert, Valter Longo, is better than spreading 500 cal over a fast day.

Let us know how you get on
:clover:
The length of fast is important for the health benefit, 24 hours being most effective. So if you fast 6pm to next 6pm then eat a normal dinner without worrying about the 500 calorie restriction and do this once a week all will be hunky dory!
I hope so anyway, best of luck :0)

Doh! Caroline beat me to it! :geek:
Fab, thanks so much. I hadn't thought of the weigh-in being a bit unreliable so will definitely check. I've been on an overall downwards trend since I started 5:2, and have overall lost 4.7kg, but will definitely check a few times over a few days to see what's happening.

That's good to know about the 24 hours. I generally go nearly 24hrs without eating anyway, but have then been having a 350-400cal meal, followed by a 100-150cal snack before bedtime. Quite like the idea of a total fast for 24 hours and then just eating normally.

Cheers!
4 posts Page 1 of 1