The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

37 posts Page 1 of 3
Maintaining June 2015
01 Jun 2015, 14:55
Let me open the June maintenance thread and welcome all maintainers to encourage each other for another month.
I am happily maintaining, although I have developed this annoying habit of having a blow out on a Sunday in the knowledge that I will be fasting on Monday with the result that my weight on a Monday morning is about a pound above my goal weight to return to a pound below my goal weight for most of the week.
Re: Maintaining June 2015
02 Jun 2015, 02:29
I'm starting out June a couple of kg over my upper limit, which is a drag. But what can I do? Carry on, I guess. I know exactly what the problem is - overeating on non-fast days - but have yet to figure out how to solve it. I think it's more an emotional eating problem rather than a famine reaction problem, though perhaps it's a mix of the two. Anyway… I'll just keep plugging away…

edit to add: of course I know how to solve it: eat less on non-fast days. It's putting it in practice. I think I need to start at lease keeping a diary again, if not counting calories. I mostly stopped because so much of what I eat is hard to find on MFP. It will involve a lot of estimating, but its better than what I'm doing now, which is sabotaging all my hard work.
02 Jun 2015, 03:44
Greetings! I am Mouse FX, I just Joined, I am maintain after 1 month of trying this, so far I have lost 11 LBS. I feel better, My work is just off of a great bike trail, so I do 45 min of biking a day at 15 min intervals (my breaks) so I do about 3 hours of biking a week, I work 4 10 hour shifts, my fat days are Monday and Thursday, they were Tuesday and Friday, no that won't work, I am sleeping better, little more energy at work so I don't solder my fingers at work!
Anyway wanted to Intro myself so there I am!
Cheers!
02 Jun 2015, 04:12
I was good today, a co-worker who brews beer offered me a drink after work I said no, because I know beer makes you FAT! and this is my light day, but he won't listen to that noise....
So I give myself cudos for not having a beer on light days, in fact I may cut out beer altogether for a long while! :smile:
02 Jun 2015, 04:39
MaryAnn wrote: I think it's more an emotional eating problem rather than a famine reaction problem, though perhaps it's a mix of the two. Anyway… I'll just keep plugging away...

Hi @MaryAnn, if it's emotional, than it should vary with your emotions. Do you have the idea that is the case? In my personal experience some things (like eating some stuff in the evening after dinner) soon become something of a habit that your body (and mind!) get used to very quickly. The good news is that you can 'unlearn' such a habit, but sadly it takes a bit longer to get rid of than to get used to it. If that takes too much willpower, try to live with it, as the whole idea of fasting is that you should be able to relax on non fast days.
02 Jun 2015, 06:21
I've always been a bad "I feel sorry for myself" eater. I'm in a sort of prolonged stressful work situation, so its a long running problem. Exercise helps a lot - with my sanity and to keep me away from the kitchen. Getting on with the things I need to do to remedy my situation helps, too. As soon as I sort myself out, I'm pretty sure most of my eating problems will disappear. I can fight it now, but it will get easier then...
02 Jun 2015, 10:25
MaryAnn wrote: I'm starting out June a couple of kg over my upper limit, which is a drag. But what can I do? Carry on, I guess. I know exactly what the problem is - overeating on non-fast days - but have yet to figure out how to solve it. I think it's more an emotional eating problem rather than a famine reaction problem, though perhaps it's a mix of the two. Anyway… I'll just keep plugging away…

edit to add: of course I know how to solve it: eat less on non-fast days. It's putting it in practice. I think I need to start at lease keeping a diary again, if not counting calories. I mostly stopped because so much of what I eat is hard to find on MFP. It will involve a lot of estimating, but its better than what I'm doing now, which is sabotaging all my hard work.

Have you noticed when you are over eating on non fast days? Is it during the day or in the evening? What goes through your mind when you reach for the food when already full?

I tend to not be hungry during the day and seem to eat most of my calories in the evening. I think my mind says: You have been very good all day, so now can relax and "treat yourself" Maybe I should eat (more) during the day so that I don't have an excuse in the evening? Will try this today (after my fast day yesterday).
02 Jun 2015, 11:12
I weighed in on Sunday, 31st May, at 151.1 pounds, 4.1 pounds over my target! :shock: I fasted on Sunday and, on the 1st June, I was rewarded with 148.2 pounds on the scales - just within my two-pound wiggle room! I didn't fast yesterday but ate sensibly and this morning the scales were reporting 147.7 pounds :angel: ! I am fasting today and will probably fast again on Friday because I would like to be below, rather than above, my target of 147 pounds but generally pleased to have nipped the increase before it became permanent. Constance vigilance is necessary for me! :frown:

Well done to all those who reported in on the May Maintaining thread. Don't forget to do the same in June! :smile:
05 Jun 2015, 14:54
Maintaining comfortably at 63 kg or even a bit less. Todays wonderful summer weather made me take the day off and have a fantastic cycling tour of 80 km (not racing, just using an ordinary city bike). Lots of water evaporated (saw 61 on the scale just before dinner), but that will be retained in the hours to come :smile:
05 Jun 2015, 18:09
I thought that I would be fasting today but weighed this morning at 145.9 pounds, meaning that I am now below my 147 pound target and have shifted 5.2 pounds since Sunday! I have eaten quite carefully and fasted twice in that time but that seems a lot in five days but I'm happy to take it! :smile:
05 Jun 2015, 19:43
I entered at 9st 1lb. 1lb over target and am bang on 9st today. In the meantime I have been up to 9st 2lb.
I hear you @MaryAnn I have to work at this all the time.
05 Jun 2015, 20:17
Well cycling makes thirsty and hungry. After drinks and dinner, back from 61 to 62,5...
06 Jun 2015, 21:34
Somehow I didn't post in the maintainingg thread after the first week in May. And I haven't fasted since then, either, because my weight has stayed right around the goal of 135 pounds, so I didn't need to. I have no idea what, if anything, I'm doing that's different. I usually fast once every two or three weeks to take that little bit of excess off. My weight usually goes up and down by 3 pounds or less, but I've been so steady now for a while.

And today I'm the lowest I've been in almost a year--133.5!! Whatever it is, I'm treating myself to brie and chutney on crackers with a little Irish whisky and water. Just took a rhubarb/strawberry pie out the oven, too.

Maybe that will put it back on! :razz:
06 Jun 2015, 22:26
I'm staying in the upper range of what I'd like to be (66.5-68.5kg) but hardly go over it. On days I do I skip breakfast and lunch and have no wine with my dinner, no evening snack and it seems to be gone the next day. I have to be mindful though on most days (less carbs, hardly any sugar) but this works for me.
07 Jun 2015, 15:47
Ieramul wrote:
MaryAnn wrote: I'm starting out June a couple of kg over my upper limit, which is a drag. But what can I do? Carry on, I guess. I know exactly what the problem is - overeating on non-fast days - but have yet to figure out how to solve it. I think it's more an emotional eating problem rather than a famine reaction problem, though perhaps it's a mix of the two. Anyway… I'll just keep plugging away…

Have you noticed when you are over eating on non fast days? Is it during the day or in the evening? What goes through your mind when you reach for the food when already full?

I tend to not be hungry during the day and seem to eat most of my calories in the evening. I think my mind says: You have been very good all day, so now can relax and "treat yourself" Maybe I should eat (more) during the day so that I don't have an excuse in the evening? Will try this today (after my fast day yesterday).

It's sort of all day. If I go back to my modified 16:8 I'll probably be fine. It's mostly sweets that are my downfall. So holding off until later in the day should help...
37 posts Page 1 of 3