The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

17 posts Page 1 of 2
maintenance methods
21 Oct 2013, 02:39
Well inspired by a post by MaryAnn, I thought I'd start this thread to see what people have tried for maintenance. Personally I would like to find the most painless method I can that allows me to stay at goal weight. The health benefits issue is another thing, however for me this can be a personal goal of lower BP plus other blood tests appearing good whilst feeling energized. Feeling tired has been the bane of my life for 30 odd years. Combo of under active thyroid, insomnia and other unknown factors.

So far I have tried normal 5:2 I do get hungry on this, so not pain free; I have tried 2 days of 600 to 800 cals. I quite like this and seems to be OK however I think the lower end of the cals will ensure no weight gain. I have a problem at the moment with food ;>) being that I can't be bothered making food (anyone else living alone have this problem?). So the thought of a normal bfst, no lunch, normal dinner, no wine sounds OK to me. Oh yeah I tried doing 1 meal lunch a la Varady and had a big fail, started scoffing food at dinner.

I guess it depends on how u feel about dieting, as doing 2 days of 500 cals is a diet to me, but 3x1000 seems doable, just cut out the cakes/wine 3 days a week. This seems like part time sensible eating as opposed to part time dieting.
Re: maintenance methods
21 Oct 2013, 02:48
well, i hear you: it's not easy. But just saying, I wish I had that problem.
21 Oct 2013, 02:55
You will have soon enough Sallyo...assuming u meant maintenance not being off making food LOL
21 Oct 2013, 02:58
Absolutely no problems with making food!!!
21 Oct 2013, 03:02
You could send me a hamper lol
21 Oct 2013, 03:15
i could send you a hamper tomorrow when I'm not fasting!
21 Oct 2013, 07:53
Yes well I'm fasting too
21 Oct 2013, 08:40
@MaryAnnThought you might be interested in this post :cool:
21 Oct 2013, 08:56
Well, I have done 19/5 and it has worked well. I have not gained anything and eat to live not live to eat now. Total lost of appetite. So when I do eat, I try to make it as nutrious as possible as I know I wont be comsuming too much food. I have a rather low TDEE so one meal can easily cover that tea with milk.
21 Oct 2013, 08:57
I'm trying a 20/4 today and hopefully Thursday. I've made a slo-hotpot with green lentils and many veggies and decided to have a boiled egg if I get too desperately hungry before 6pm. If I hold out that will be 23 hours fasting woohoo!
I've got really bored with calorie counting so I'm trying to listen to my body and eat when I really feel hungry, and then only real food, and hope for the best weight-wise.
Time will tell. I've been 71kgs consistently for 4 days now, perhaps it's where my body wants to be, obviously my head wants me to be 67kgs!
21 Oct 2013, 09:22
You're right, GMH, I'm very interested in this topic! I seem to be in gain/stall mode (perhaps I jinxed myself by posting about maintenance too soon), but eventually, I will get to goal. I am really curious about what people have tried, though I guess I'll still have to do a bit of experimenting on myself...
21 Oct 2013, 12:10
I'm on maintenance.... but not doing very well.... I hit my target a fortnight ago and have lost another 3lbs since! Oops... I used to 5:2 and swapped to 6:1 (Monday), 16:8 on a Friday and continuing with calorie counting on my normal eating days. Today I have just failed my fast, for the first time ever... all this rain has made me so hungry I just caved and had my porridge breakfast. I also ran 10km yesterday, my furthest distance ever so I think my body is trying to replenish my stores too. Going to try to keep my calories low though so will now try not to eat until dinner time....
21 Oct 2013, 12:34
I'm mainly be doing 18/6 and have kept to my new lowest ever adult weight of 55kg (keeping between 55-56kgs) since the end of July. However, I do love running and for various reasons I've not done much running or other exercise since July and am hoping to get back on track with that this week. So I'll have to see what happens to my weight when exercise is factored in.
But at the moment it would seem very little alcohol (only 1 large glass of red a week if that - I'm not an alcohol lover) and lower carbing (less bread and potatoes, even though I've just had chips twice in two days) higher protein and nothing low fat, seems to be doing it for me.
21 Oct 2013, 14:12
I delay eating breakfasts Monday through Friday until 10 AM except on the 2 days that I do 8/16 (then it's noon). That seems to have worked well for me. I also tend to eat a later breakfast on the weekend, but usually about 9:00 AM. I think what has helped me also is the lower refined carbs. I'm snacking much less than pre-5:2 days and still don't mind the hunger. Just take a swig or 2 of tea or water and I'm good to go.
21 Oct 2013, 15:11
I made it to 3.20pm and ate that lovely organic 3 minute 33 seconds soft boiled egg. Did the trick, no more hunger for a mere 70 calories. Ace :0)
17 posts Page 1 of 2