The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Well in 6 weeks I have lost 14 lbs and only need to lose another 3 lbs before I reach my target weight..

SO..What do I do then.. Presumably if I continue with 2 fasts a week I could well drop below what I need to? If thats the case should I drop to 6:1 routine?

Not sure how fasting ties into to maintaining a weight?

Any thoughts?
I believe some people drop to 6:1 or continue to do 5:2 and increase their calories on non fast days. This way you still get the other potential benefits from fasting and still maintain your weight.

Well done on your loss!
Hi Twicky

I think there are several options:

a) keep on with 5:2 but increase calories on feed days (could be tricky if you are finding your appetite reduced)
b) if you are happy with only having one meal on a fast day then you could do a 24 hour fast (say 6pm to 6pm) and then have a bigger meal (so stop calorie counting)
c) cut down to one fast day a week
d) cut down to one fast day but perhaps skip lunch on a second day

For me, I would go for option b because it means you could stop calorie counting altogether plus you gain the health benefits that we believe come from a 24 hour fast. If I was still losing weight I would go for the 24 hour fast on one day and skipping lunch on another day.

Obviously you will have to see what suits you and your lifestyle. Maybe you will stop losing when you reach your target!
It'll be interesting trial and error I think, trying to maintain a balance of not putting too much on and not losing anymore!
I think Michael Mosely moved onto 6:1 after he reached his goal weight didn't he, and then goes back to 5:2 or 4:3 depending on how his weight is doing. The only thing that concerns me about this is that you might potentially lose the health benefits that go with doing two or more fasts a week. Has MM had any tests done since he dropped down to this, to see if it's effected any of his levels?
Hi Twicky

I have reached my target and have been trying to maintain my weight using suggestion a) in Carolines post. If you have a look at my progress tracker you will see it’s not been very successful for me. I just don’t have the appetite on non fast days.

I’ll be trying option d) from now on and hoping the health benfits are similar to those claimed for 5:2.

In the book Dr Ms bloods were done 3 months in to this diet, I’m not sure when he switched to 6:1.
Thanks for the suggestions..

I guess it's a case of trial and error ! Still got to get to the target weight mind!
I plan to monitor my weight week by week and adjust the type of fasting I do accordingly. I'd thought about doing 6:1 but Caroline's idea of fast days with a more calorific meal at the end is an interesting one, too...
I'm still doing 5:2 as my husband has more weight to lose, but after my 24 hour fast I'm eating nearer 500 calories than 400 (having used 100 during the day in tea)
I had to search for this question! I've got another 2lbs to go, then I'll hit my target weight too. Reading all the posts, I think I'll probably try to have an 18-24 hour fast once or twice a week, with a 'proper' meal at the end of it. Don't want to lose the health benefits, but I really don't like the idea of 'overeating'5days a week, seems a horrific waste of 3months of appetite training!
Hope you all managed to stick to your plans x
9 posts Page 1 of 1