The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
One coolish morning April 22 2013 in Sydney, I woke up to a Radio National promotion of an SBS documentary.

Wasn't looking for any diet.. dont even think ive used diet in my vocabulary for last 2 decades. Anyway... knowing i was gaining some weight and mildly worried about my voracious appetite and the smart comments from children about how i looked in my jeans.. I thought .. yeah I shall watch it.

Just so happened my sister was around and she watched it too. She needed to lose weight and immediately declared.. what.. fast .. im not doing that. well she did eventually and so did I. And so did my OH.

Immediately on the Tuesday the day after I took upon the challenge of fasting. Discovered this great forum and the rest is history.

Thank you SBS for airing it.

Thank you MM /BBC for producing it and writing the book

Very grateful for what has probably been a life changing turnaround for me. (and no more comments about me in Jeans!)
Only complimentary comments now I hope @Juliana.Rivers :grin: :like:
Some of us are very fortunate indeed to have found a way of eating that has been so life changing and so good for us.....let's hope we can spread the word and also set an example of our success.
Happy fastiversary Juliana!
Oh dear that means its almost one year since I started fasting, does it count that I wandered off for about 3 months not fasting over christmas and summer? Happy to be doing fasting and happy that its easier to do now, if I dont think about it too much and just get on with it. I was most delighted to watch that doco from Dr Mosley and I started fasting 1 or 2 days later. Its a sinch now, I have my grumbles about how I'm going but mostly its good.
I happened to see that airing in Melb. I was interested from the start so I've got a recording from 5 min in. I realised I needed no preparation to try a fast the very next day. I just had to choose to do it so I did. I didn't 5:2 for about 3 weeks of the year. Have lost 10 kg & only have a couple to go before I'll have to move onto 6:1 or some other maintenance option.
zamale wrote: Oh dear that means its almost one year since I started fasting, does it count that I wandered off for about 3 months not fasting over christmas and summer? Happy to be doing fasting and happy that its easier to do now, if I dont think about it too much and just get on with it. I was most delighted to watch that doco from Dr Mosley and I started fasting 1 or 2 days later. Its a sinch now, I have my grumbles about how I'm going but mostly its good.

Nup if you break i dont think it matters. I think actually with IF or 5:2 or variants, one should be able to build in a lengthy break. 3 months may be a bit "too long" in the sense that it might take another 3 months to get back to where you were but I reckon 1 or 2 weeks, even a month is fine as long as one doesnt indulge in all you can eat feasts on a nightly basis.

so.. happy Fastiversry to you @zamale
Stephen wrote: I happened to see that airing in Melb. I was interested from the start so I've got a recording from 5 min in. I realised I needed no preparation to try a fast the very next day. I just had to choose to do it so I did. I didn't 5:2 for about 3 weeks of the year. Have lost 10 kg & only have a couple to go before I'll have to move onto 6:1 or some other maintenance option.

Happy fastiversary @Stephen well done on your result and ill meet you in the maintenance tent very soon too
Well done JR! X
And well done to @Stephen too and @zamale x
Zee, i think the break counts,its still a part of your journey and yr experience and talking of it here is encouraging to others like me,who have fallen by the wayside a little..helps us know we may fall but we can get back up again..ponying up and back on track again now,clippety clop! :lol: xx
I had already started fasting when it was aired on SBS and I remember being really excited about it. I started because 2 women at work were doing it. I had scoffed at that, because women at work were always on fad diets of one sort or another. Then our friend, Bernard, came for a visit and he was raving about how great it was. He isn't overweight at all, and he's a foodie - writes books about the history of food in Tasmania - so I bought the book and talked to the women at work and got going. I was so looking forward to seeing it on SBS and my friends and relatives seeing it. I do meet quite a lot of people who tried it after that, but haven't stuck to it and I always say, join the forum, that's what's kept me on track.
Like Sallyo, I was already fasting when it aired here - but I had a flurry of messages from friends while it was on and in the days following saying "there's a doco on fasting, don't you fast?" and quite a few then jumped on the fasting bandwagon. Don't think many (any) are still doing it though. I"m just happy that it works so well for me.
KataMac wrote: Like Sallyo, I was already fasting when it aired here - but I had a flurry of messages from friends while it was on and in the days following saying "there's a doco on fasting, don't you fast?" and quite a few then jumped on the fasting bandwagon. Don't think many (any) are still doing it though. I"m just happy that it works so well for me.

Never can understand why people or many people dont stick to something like this. With all the evidence even if anecdotal that it works.. why not focus, endure the initial hardship with fasting and reap the many benefits
12 posts Page 1 of 1