The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

44 posts Page 3 of 3
Wow what great positive plans you all have. Looks like i'll be joining a lot of you that big Maintenance tent i can see with happy people inside ... real soon now (March/April 2014)! They can enjoy year round cocktails.

@Otter, thanks for your comment ... i do it to my sister all the time.. motivating.. indeed i just got off teh phone to her, and during th conversation she said.. its 3 weeks to Christmas and i have so much to do .. i might just start fasting again till next year

I said no way.. what about you just do 1 fast day a week. 1 is better than none.

At first she said "it's my life" and then she came around and though maybe then just 1 day not 2 days a week.

Question for anyone reading this... do you think I'm too pushy or cruel to say she must not stop fasting before 2014.? Curious. I just know its for her benefit and reduces the risk of her just forgetting about all the fasting thing and going back to bad ways.
Hi Juliana ..its 3 a.m. here in the UK..i have insomnia...

No i don't think you were cruel to your sis at all..
Just pointed out to her she could keep it up just once a week rather than stop and perhaps get so outa the habit she may struggle to get back on track,or even give it up totally,like you said
She's an adult so can take or leave your advice
Sounds like she has chosen to take it! :like:
Which i think is good advice...there is a real danger to any of us to return to more unhealthy ways at this critical time of year...keeping up 5:2,doing one fast a week,doing a few days of16:8.. All excellent ways to balance out all the temptations coming our way in December
You did what a good friend would do to help..and sisters should be good friends
Hey at least you didnt threaten her with the wet fish! Now thats cruel! But cruel to be kind :0) x
Sometime in 2014 I will be in the maintenance club doing 6:1 and the odd 18:6 when the scales indicate the need. Only 2kg to go but seem to be taking a while to get there but WOL = ongoing!
My aim will be to find which version/s of this WOE will suit me best to ensure I do not put any weight back on.
And although my BMI is good, I still wouldn't mind losing a couple more kgs of fat!!!
Best wishes to all in achieving your goals :)
I have a two-fold plan:

1. Maintain successfully with a combination of 6:1 and the occasional 5:2 week if needed or the occasional 600 or 700 calorie fast day if needed (extremely hard to believe I would continue losing weight past where I want to be, but you never know...)

2. Exercise lots more, and move more in general. A side effect of this part of the plan will be to spend less time with all you lovely folk, because guess what - when I'm chatting with you I'm also sitting on my butt not moving. Not good!

I figure I'll check in on Tuesdays to say hi and to update the tracker after my weekly weighing, and try to stay off the forum on other days. And yes, I'm sticking with the weekly weighing, which I am quite confident is the right approach for a lot of us. On @Juliana.Rivers "why I weigh daily" thread, I promised to let everyone know how that is working out next November. Actually, let's set a date, mid-December which will be my one year mainten-versary.
wendyjane wrote: I have a two-fold plan:

1. Maintain successfully with a combination of 6:1 and the occasional 5:2 week if needed or the occasional 600 or 700 calorie fast day if needed (extremely hard to believe I would continue losing weight past where I want to be, but you never know...)

2. Exercise lots more, and move more in general. A side effect of this part of the plan will be to spend less time with all you lovely folk, because guess what - when I'm chatting with you I'm also sitting on my butt not moving. Not good!

I figure I'll check in on Tuesdays to say hi and to update the tracker after my weekly weighing, and try to stay off the forum on other days. And yes, I'm sticking with the weekly weighing, which I am quite confident is the right approach for a lot of us. On @Juliana.Rivers "why I weigh daily" thread, I promised to let everyone know how that is working out next November. Actually, let's set a date, mid-December which will be my one year mainten-versary.

re your point 2. very good point! screen time can be a problem. depending if its work or pleasure/surfing but even if work yes, you need to get up off your feet. i have an idea for another mini club on that point. just sorting out my thoughts but will do something Jan for this.
I'm aim im to reach target in May if next year, if not before. I feel really lucky that I found this WOL!
I think I'll reach target before the end of the year, so my plans are to maintain my weight in 2014. Like Debs this is the first year in a long time where my resolutions for January don't include dieting!! I would like to concerntrate on doing regular exercise though.
1st January 2013 I set a goal to lose 2 stone. At that time I had no idea how I was going to do this and thought it would be a hard target. A few days later M.M. was on BBC morning news talking about 5:2. That all made sence to me, so started on 7th Jan. Almost 3 stone lighter now. Once the weight started to come off I knew I could change my goal to 3 stone. I have 3lb to go to reach it. These last few weeks I have had trouble losing/gaining the same 4lb.

My goal for 2014 will be to get these last 3lb off and go on to maintenance....... and stay there! I will continue keeping in touch on here as I know the support is fantastic and I will need it.

Good luck to you all for your 2014 wishes.

Lesley. :heart:
@Juliana.Rivers, my OH is a bit like you, he pushes me and give me sometimes a kick in the butt. At the time, I whinge, tell him to mind his own business but it's only for a few minutes, until I realize he's right. It's him who gave me the right kick to try to do some sport, I always thought I couldn't because of my knees, I gave it a try and now I do at least 1h cycling a day......

If I can give on an advice, try to balance the kick in the butt with positive vibes, for example I feel the greatest when my OH tells me how great I look and how all the efforts I make pay off. :cool:
As I'm on maintenance, the major idea is to maintain weight, stay healthy and happy (yes 5:2 makes you feel better :grin: ). I dropped from 6:1 to 13:1 in order not to lose more weight. Flexibility is the key word here, so I am in no doubt that I will be able to maintain.

As maintaining seems to be the 'Achilles' heel' of most diets, I would really like to learn more on how all of us in the maintenance tent are doing in terms of strategies and results. I think we should organise a questionnaire on that in a couple of months (as more of us will be able to report on their experience). I think 5:2 is really promising in terms of its capability to motivate and enable people to be successful in maintenance. Let's see whether this is actually the case. I can volunteer to do the statistical analysis and will start a topic on developing an appropriate questionnair somewhere beginning next year.
My 2014 plans include reaching my goal and then heading off to the Dr to see how it has impacted on my health. Hopefully I will see improved results through the run of medical tests that I go through.
TheFrog wrote: My 2014 plans include reaching my goal and then heading off to the Dr to see how it has impacted on my health. Hopefully I will see improved results through the run of medical tests that I go through.

These are my plans also... a have a yearly check up in March because I am asthmatic, I get my bloods done then too and a little chat with the doctor! It will be SO interesting to see what happens because my asthma has disappeared, my blood pressure is down & who knows what else has changed for the better.
I hope to reach my goal, be in maintenance and buy some lovely new clothes for my holidays in 2014.
I am in for the long term.
I hope to maintain to within two pounds either side of my 10 stone 7 pound target for a whole year! This has not happened within living memory as maintenance has always been the problem for me. I've lost count of how many times, over forty years, I have reached this weight - only to climb back up to twelve stone, or thereabouts, within months! With some form of IF I am sure that I can do it in 2014!

I would also like to increase the amount of exercise I do, but I am not quite sure how that will go! At 64, the only exercise I have ever enjoyed is horse riding and I gave that up fifteen years ago, after a aeries of operations. I have never found anything else to enjoy, so that will be a 'work in progress' for 2014.

:clover: Good luck to all those with weight loss targets still to reach and those with maintenance on their minds for 2014! :clover:
44 posts Page 3 of 3