The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

36 posts Page 3 of 3
Oh bean, it's not THAT bad surely? Literary Horlicks?!
Debs wrote: Oh bean, it's not THAT bad surely? Literary Horlicks?!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
Yeah I've heard of that, nursebean, I'd like to give it a go, although it's supposed to be a bit of a doorstop isn't it? Might help! I was downstairs reading my new Trail magazine at 1 this morning, drooling over all the hillwalks I'd like to do.

I have a range of things I try when I am struggling with sleep. Not being overly hungry is one of them. Sometimes I don't have any issues getting to sleep at all, however hungry I am, but when I am going through one of those highly annoying insomniac phases I seem to be in at the moment, then I just need a big hammer to turn my brain off!

It will pass I'm sure, I'm well used to it and will be back to snoozeland soon! Well not before tonight, hopefully!
greenmonster wrote: If only it was as simple as just 'going to sleep' carieoates! I can ignore hunger pangs up to a point but sometimes sleep just isn't going to happen in case I've had something. And I'm not going to lie awake wondering why I can't sleep when I know getting up and having something small will help - whether its psychological or real, at 1.30am I don't really care!

So maybe the hunger isn't helping some other underlying problem.
Exercise, maybe, just to knock you out. Bath, lavender oil, back to warm drink.
Sorry can't be of more practical help on this one, I will shut up now. :wink:
My first few fasts I had no hunger when I slept but I woke up about an hour later from hunger pangs and a grumbling tummy - it's the first time that that's happened to me, I was stunned that it was so strong it woke me up, and I'm a heavy sleeper

I was worried that this would happen all the time and my sleep would be disturbed and I'm like a bear with a sore paw if I don't get a good 7 hours - surprisingly, it has gotten better

Like folks suggested, I kept 50-100 calories to have a handful of sunflower seeds or almonds before I sleep and that did the trick. And even if I don't do that, like yesterday, i didnt have any spare calroies since i was already quite a bit over the 500, I went to bed with that empty feeling in my stomach and was able to sleep quite soundly.

I'm amazed as to how the body adapts and what we consider normal after doing it for such a short time

So hang on in there, you'll be just fine
Hi @janeg,
Thanks for reminding me of the goodness of dairy for sleeping. That helped me a lot last night..and for telling me to hang in there that it will get easier.
Thanks @lizzieh, you reminded me to exercise on my fast day ….i will remember this next time.
@nursebean :) I feel smug that I got through last night, and surprised I could not get my cravings started like they were yesterday during my fast.
:) ty

Thanks @greenmonster, for reminding me of the need for the program to be sustainable. That beats perfectionism hands down!
Yes @carieoates, chuckles I went to bed. It worked for two hours...then wide awake for two. But I got through and the idea of the 150 cal hot choc saved me.
Thank you
Thanks so much @jeninboston, You helpp reassure me that I will get through with or without having a snack before bed, that my body will adapt.
:) ty

Jo
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :clover: :clover: :clover: :like:
36 posts Page 3 of 3