The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

36 posts Page 1 of 3
I must confess to staying up on my first fast day until midnight, and having a bowl of porridge. I don't want to repeat this as I don't think its beneficial to be staying up till midnight twice a week nor is it keeping with the fast idea.

The fast does not go from midnight to midnight (24 hours) right? It finishes the next morning? which is more like 32 hours.

So any tips on how to get to sleep hungry?

Thank you for any advice.
Jo :clover: :clover: :clover:
Save some calories for a low calorie hot chocolate.

Have all of your calories as an evening meal, it means you are usually having a proper sized meal.

Go to bed early so you are asleep before the hunger pangs hit.

Any and all of the above have helped others.
Julieathome wrote: Save some calories for a low calorie hot chocolate.

Have all of your calories as an evening meal, it means you are usually having a proper sized meal.

awesome thank you for these ideas...i will try them tonight.
thanks so much
jo :clover: :clover: :clover:
I wrote this just before Julieathome submitted hers but I'm posting it anyway!

I find that having a low calorie drinking chocolate just before bedtime is very comforting and fools my stomach into thinking that it is full. Many people on here find that saving all their daily allowance of calories to use in one glorious meal in the evening ensures that they don't go to bed hungry.. It certainly works for me!

You are correct that your fast lasts from after dinner on the day before your fast until breakfast the day after your fast so, depending on the timing of your meals, it can be 36 hours - or thereabouts!

Hope this helps, good luck on your next fast! :clover:
:heart: Hi @jo05 Yes all @Julieathome said
I don't go to bed hungry because I eat evening meal only and making this of 2 courses by way of a reward for waiting the 24hrs also I believe there are extra health benefits the longer we go without food. This works for me. :heart: :heart:
Julieathome wrote: Save some calories for a low calorie hot chocolate.

going to bed early and off to buy low cal hot choc....! thank you.....
Hi:

I know how this sounds, but here it is anyway, perhaps to bring up a new line of thinking for you.

What is wrong with or bad about being hungry?

It is hard to go on a real diet and not get hungry, at least sometimes. If your goal is to not be hungry, it may be hard to stay on a weight loss diet long enough to meet your weight loss goal. If you can accept occasional hunger, you may have a better chance of long term success.

Just a thought.
I was horrified by the ingredients in hot chocolate. I tend to make cocoa but OH was wanting a quick, hot drink. Absolutely could not believe my eyes.

I wouldn't go to bed hungry, the cortisol from the fast mildly stressing the body is enough to keep some people awake as it is. Cocoa, no sugar, some cream now I'm on 16:8 & sometimes an emergency banana or in the beginning, some nuts work.

Small things do not derail a fast, suffering will do. Just seeing post above, I was happy being hungry in the day, not having my sleep wrecked...
StowgateResident wrote: I wrote this just before Julieathome submitted hers but I'm posting it anyway!

I find that having a low calorie drinking chocolate just before bedtime is very comforting and fools my stomach into thinking that it is full. Many people on here find that saving all their daily allowance of calories to use in one glorious meal in the evening ensures that they don't go to bed hungry.. It certainly works for me!

You are correct that your fast lasts from after dinner on the day before your fast until breakfast the day after your fast so, depending on the timing of your meals, it can be 36 hours - or thereabouts!

Hope this helps, good luck on your next fast! :clover:

I'm glad you still posted this helpful post. And thanks for clarifying the length of the fast.
I need the comfort so I'm hoping the hot choc works and the meal at end of day.
cheers
Jo :clover: :clover:
Sue.Q wrote: :heart: Hi @jo05 Yes all @Julieathome said
I don't go to bed hungry because I eat evening meal only and making this of 2 courses by way of a reward for waiting the 24hrs also I believe there are extra health benefits the longer we go without food. This works for me. :heart: :heart:

Thanks Sue, That helps. I will wait :) :heart: :heart: :heart:
BBT053 wrote: I was horrified by the ingredients in hot chocolate. I tend to make cocoa but OH was wanting a quick, hot drink. Absolutely could not believe my eyes.

I wouldn't go to bed hungry, the cortisol from the fast mildly stressing the body is enough to keep some people awake as it is. Cocoa, no sugar, some cream now I'm on 16:8 & sometimes an emergency banana or in the beginning, some nuts work.

Small things do not derail a fast, suffering will do. Just seeing post above, I was happy being hungry in the day, not having my sleep wrecked...

Thanks so much @BBT053, yeah I want to find ways to make it possible.
It was intere3sting you pointing out the cortisol rise from fasting. I wonder if my elevated blood pressure (since the fast) is related to that. It's all new to me...I will keep monitoring things.
thanks for your advice
Jo :clover:
Hopefully your cortisol will reduce once your body is more used to fasting.

As for hot chocolate, I tend to think of cocoa as hot chocolate, I don't think I've had hot chocolate, as in a tub/jar of cocoa ready mixed with milk powder and sugar in the house for some 20 years. I find commercial hot chocolate to be too sweet anyway so have to make my hot 'chocolate ' drink from scratch with cocoa powder, milk and sugar.
Julieathome wrote: Hopefully your cortisol will reduce once your body is more used to fasting.

As for hot chocolate, I tend to think of cocoa as hot chocolate, I don't think I've had hot chocolate, as in a tub/jar of cocoa ready mixed with milk powder and sugar in the house for some 20 years. I find commercial hot chocolate to be too sweet anyway so have to make my hot 'chocolate ' drink from scratch with cocoa powder, milk and sugar.

Thanks Julie for your comment on the cortisol. And yeah can make it myself here. Look forward to it!!
Cheers Jo :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
@Jo05 - there is nothing worse than going to bed hungry on a fast day. It's the quickest way of derailing your fast, as you lie there unable to sleep. And end up tired as well as hungry (or getting the midnight munchies :shock: ) Endorse all the very practical suggestions made above - the important thing is to make yourself comfortable enough to get off to sleep - experiment and find what's right for you here ...

It's a lot easier to deal with hunger pangs in the day time ... Keep busy / drink a glass of water / distract yourself by doing something else / clean the house! /car! / exercise, whatever :wink: usually the hunger pangs last only 20- 30mins, and then you've forgotten them, or are on to the next thing. But hunger pangs at night are not so accommodating - 30mins lying in bed can seem an age ...

What's wrong with hunger? Nothing. But tell that to a growling stomach at 11pm at night. This WoE is about learning to work with and listen to your body - not ruling it, or dominating it into submission. The secret is - there are no secrets! And no absolutes or holy grails either. Don't be afraid to experiment or be pragmatic - be flexible, open-minded and accommodating, and don't beat yourself up about the odd 'blip' or mistake. You will be rewarded with growing self knowledge, confidence and the resources to deal practically with the everyday issues and small challenges that this WoE throws up. Wishing you luck and come back here if the call of the Midnight Munchies gets too strong ... :wink: :shock: :clover:

(PS loving your strapline by the way :like: :cool: :wink: )
In the beginning I would experience some hunger before bedtime, my solution, was 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese or a small bit of cheese (weighed so as to not get carried away, lol) or sometimes a cup of bouillon would tide me over til I slept.
36 posts Page 1 of 3