The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

32 posts Page 2 of 3
i found my mini bar at 4pm help in the 3 hours leading to dinner ... but strangely wasnt even hungry for that.. so maybe i will bring it back to 3pm to eat the bar

Thanks @rawkarenfor the recipe.

it says Protein powder.. Aussie members... is there a better one to get?

so many choices of powder and they arent cheap
eg

http://www.nutritionwarehouse.com.au/pr ... -c-70.html

and

http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/sear ... &requery=1
GMH wrote: @Juliana.Rivers have you considered a late lunch instead of dinner? Rather than snacking. I'm sure Krista Varady didn't just happen upon lunch for her research. When I changed to lunch instead of dinner I was no longer hungry all day. ...Or at night.

It wouldnt work for me @GMH. I have to share in the night meal with the family which is why I decided against the 36 hour fast as i tried it and that failed. Opting out of a family meal would be so weird and unsocial for me. If i was living on my own it would be different and reckon i would do a 2pm meal
Anybody else made or thinking about making protein bars.

these look amazing and some dont use protein powder
http://bembu.com/homemade-protein-bars
protein bars are a really poor choice, in fact I'm sure a snickers is more nutritionally rich than a protein bar!

eat real protein by all means, but really, protein bars are barely better than the sugar filled "breakfast bars" that I presume you know to stay well away from.

Some simple/fast protein snacks: cottage cheese, tuna, greek yoghurt, eggs
mas54321 wrote: protein bars are a really poor choice, in fact I'm sure a snickers is more nutritionally rich than a protein bar!

eat real protein by all means, but really, protein bars are barely better than the sugar filled "breakfast bars" that I presume you know to stay well away from.

Is it just a heath industry (body sculpting) industry con then... not so much the protein bars which i thnk are overpriced but things like protein powder and something i just read about maca powder.
I dont think snickers have anywhere near the protein of the powders and wouldnt keep you full as claimed here

im the first to go with natural stuff but the 100 calories in a protein bar is reported to do wonders for the hunger. confused @mas54321... @gmh.. do you have any comment?

update at 5pm today .. i did the 1/4 mega protein bar at 12 midday and 2pm a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese (the light yummy Aldi brand one).. so im breaking my 21 hour fast early i guess but needed on my computer work days im afraid. keeps my mind from thinking about food cause my tummy aint rumbling and ive got the goodness of both protein and calcium.
but will definitely be trying some protein bars.. just gotta get me some protein powder or maca powder and some of the other goodies i see. even if to cut the cost of the bars.
Juliana.Rivers wrote:
mas54321 wrote: protein bars are a really poor choice, in fact I'm sure a snickers is more nutritionally rich than a protein bar!

Is it just a heath industry (body sculpting) industry con then... not so much the protein bars which i thnk are overpriced but things like protein powder and something i just read about maca powder.

I was reading an interesting page recently (bodybuilder/trainer) pointing out the irony of bodybuilders that wax lyrical about eating real (unprocessed) food, that abs are made in the kitchen (etc etc) - yet consume heavily processed protein supplements (whey shakes). Since they (whey protein) are designed to break down quickly, (think blood sugar spiking), about the best of all of them is casein.

Of course not all protein supplements/wheys are created equally- the level of sugar varies from a bit to a LOT, additions of GMO soy etc, but at the end of the day it is all heavily processed, and heavily processed food is at odds with health, nutrition...

"Products like protein bars and cereals often contain added protein in the form of textured vegetable protein (TVP), hydrolyzed vegetable protein, or hydrolyzed plant protein, all of which usually contain MSG. Additionally, most of these food ingredients are derived from genetically-modified (GM) soy"
I dont think snickers have anywhere near the protein of the powders and wouldnt keep you full as claimed here

Your musashi bar (per bar):
30.3g protein
12.9g fat
23g carbs (sugar)
And the single biggest ingredient: sugar (Ingredients
Milk Chocolate Coating (16%) [Sugar, ....)
Almost as much sugar as protein (and the protein is poor quality too)

Tuna:
30g protein,
6g fat
0g carbs
im the first to go with natural stuff but the 100 calories in a protein bar is reported to do wonders for the hunger. confused @mas54321... @gmh.. do you have any comment?

How many (sustained fit and healthy) people swear by protein bars?
Sure they may be better than a snickers, a deep fried mars bar, a bag of chips (what people on a weight loss journey may have eaten instead prior, and in that scenario, yes they are the better option)... but they are far from healthy, and those calories can be far better spent on real food.
update at 5pm today .. i did the 1/4 mega protein bar at 12 midday and 2pm a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese (the light yummy Aldi brand one).. so im breaking my 21 hour fast early i guess but needed on my computer work days im afraid. keeps my mind from thinking about food cause my tummy aint rumbling and ive got the goodness of both protein and calcium.
but will definitely be trying some protein bars.. just gotta get me some protein powder or maca powder and some of the other goodies i see. even if to cut the cost of the bars.

what is the compelling reason for processed protein over natural protein? Isn't this part of the problem why we are or were in the situation that we were?
mas54321 wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote:

I was reading an interesting page recently (bodybuilder/trainer) pointing out the irony of bodybuilders that wax lyrical about eating real (unprocessed) food, that abs are made in the kitchen (etc etc) - yet consume heavily processed protein supplements (whey shakes). Since they (whey protein) are designed to break down quickly, (think blood sugar spiking), about the best of all of them is casein.

Of course not all protein supplements/wheys are created equally- the level of sugar varies from a bit to a LOT, additions of GMO soy etc, but at the end of the day it is all heavily processed, and heavily processed food is at odds with health, nutrition...

"Products like protein bars and cereals often contain added protein in the form of textured vegetable protein (TVP), hydrolyzed vegetable protein, or hydrolyzed plant protein, all of which usually contain MSG. Additionally, most of these food ingredients are derived from genetically-modified (GM) soy"

Your musashi bar (per bar):
30.3g protein
12.9g fat
23g carbs (sugar)
And the single biggest ingredient: sugar (Ingredients
Milk Chocolate Coating (16%) [Sugar, ....)
Almost as much sugar as protein (and the protein is poor quality too)

Tuna:
30g protein,
6g fat
0g carbs

How many (sustained fit and healthy) people swear by protein bars?
Sure they may be better than a snickers, a deep fried mars bar, a bag of chips (what people on a weight loss journey may have eaten instead prior, and in that scenario, yes they are the better option)... but they are far from healthy, and those calories can be far better spent on real food.

what is the compelling reason for processed protein over natural protein? Isn't this part of the problem why we are or were in the situation that we were?

Thank you for your detailed reply I do appreciate it and why i love this forum to help us all think about things in the most informed way. the protein bar came from something @gmhsaid as an antidote to hunger pains on a fast day. Im the first person here to poo poo anything processed and i lecture everyone around me. I thought a compromise is to make the diy protein bars and when i hunted down the recipes the only that worried me were those that had protein powder as it seemsed.. welll processed.

the sugar content in the marketed ones doesnt surprise me. if i make my own i can control that. even cakes i half sugar content of recipes particularly if derived from the States (Jame oliver said to do that)... anyhow i thought id see how the diy bars go. i still have a 1/2 processed bar here and must admit i did feel good eating the cottage cheese more.

ill tell you how i go with the diy bars though not this weekend as i have some house renovations to contend with

thanks again
making your own protein bar (even with protein powder) is much better than buying ready made - they really are (by and large) candy bars with high protein.

if you buy a better protein powder it's going to make a much better base too (e.g gold standard whey: 32g serving, 24g protein, 5g carbs-3g sugar). it's the protein that is giving people the positive result - in spite of the sugar, preservatives, colours etc, and with natural protein sources, you can eliminate those other nasties
mas54321 wrote: making your own protein bar (even with protein powder) is much better than buying ready made - they really are (by and large) candy bars with high protein.

if you buy a better protein powder it's going to make a much better base too (e.g gold standard whey: 32g serving, 24g protein, 5g carbs-3g sugar). it's the protein that is giving people the positive result - in spite of the sugar, preservatives, colours etc, and with natural protein sources, you can eliminate those other nasties

I went into the health store today @mas54321 told him what i wanted it for and he told me to get the Pea powder one. bought the Vital Protein brand. if it doesnt work will change it... we shall see.. i have all the ingredients for the protein ball recipe submitted by @rawkaren and will make it as soon as possible as the bought ones are so exxy

bought a quest Chocolate peanut quest bar too just to check out the flavour and see if i can do the same one day later
@Juliana.Rivers

I followed the link to the home made protein bars and decided to give a no-bake one a go - almond fudge pb.

Got Horleys vanilla whey protein powder from Woolworths, on special so not too expensive at $15 for 340g. 18.6g protein in 24g.
No almond butter there, so used alternative of peanut butter, no added salt or sugar, but some oil.
Not sure what crispy rice cereal would be, but bought puffed rice.
Other ingredients oats, honey, vanilla which I already had.

Very easy to make, tho I heated the honey and mixed with the peanut paste, rather than trying to melt the pp. The recipe made 28@2cm squares - thinner than the ones suggested, but I wanted as small as sensible. Calculated the calories - around 85 for each square. Estimated cost per square was under 20c! So MUCH cheaper than commercial alternatives.

They taste ok, tho there is a slightly funny aftertaste. Could be the additives in the protein powder, especially the artificial sweetener (I seem to be very sensitized to these).

And one wasn't enough to stop hunger...

So I think I prefer some chocolate!! But still 26 squares to go. Have suggested to OH and sons they are welcome to have some, but no takers... :)
Sassy1 wrote: @Juliana.Rivers

I followed the link to the home made protein bars and decided to give a no-bake one a go - almond fudge pb.

Got Horleys vanilla whey protein powder from Woolworths, on special so not too expensive at $15 for 340g. 18.6g protein in 24g.
No almond butter there, so used alternative of peanut butter, no added salt or sugar, but some oil.
Not sure what crispy rice cereal would be, but bought puffed rice.
Other ingredients oats, honey, vanilla which I already had.

Very easy to make, tho I heated the honey and mixed with the peanut paste, rather than trying to melt the pp. The recipe made 28@2cm squares - thinner than the ones suggested, but I wanted as small as sensible. Calculated the calories - around 85 for each square. Estimated cost per square was under 20c! So MUCH cheaper than commercial alternatives.

They taste ok, tho there is a slightly funny aftertaste. Could be the additives in the protein powder, especially the artificial sweetener (I seem to be very sensitized to these).

And one wasn't enough to stop hunger...

So I think I prefer some chocolate!! But still 26 squares to go. Have suggested to OH and sons they are welcome to have some, but no takers... :)

thanks for sharing @Sassy1 - 20cents is magic!!! thats funny re the no takers. - wonder if the puffed rice makes it more calorific but you probably need it to bind and give bulk. Rawkarens recipe calls for cooked rolled oats only. I rmember my health food store says if putting in a recipe dont use flavoured ones and maybe the "vanilla" flavour contributed to the taste. the fun is changing up the recipe to get one that just works for you.. i might try a variation with raw cacao to give the needed chocolate taste if i dont like the first batch.
Hi @Juliana.rivers
The cals are mainly from the peanut butter (976) and oats (732). Rice was only 54 - these figures are for the whole batch of course.
Next time ??? more rice!!
I didn't notice any non-flavored protein - was lots of chocolate flavored! But I did let price dictate...
Will try some other recipes at some stage.
Cheers!
Sassy1 wrote: Hi @Juliana.rivers
The cals are mainly from the peanut butter (976) and oats (732). Rice was only 54 - these figures are for the whole batch of course.
Next time ??? more rice!!
I didn't notice any non-flavored protein - was lots of chocolate flavored! But I did let price dictate...
Will try some other recipes at some stage.
Cheers!

@sassy1.. that makes sense about the rice..
woolworths may also carry a smaller range.. i picked up my non flavoured one at a health store. mind you it was $35 for 500g

cant wait to make my own. the quest peanut one i just had is revolting lol i guess it stops you eating more than 1.. i had only 1/4 the bar and then had a small amount of cottage cheese. makes fasting days so easy.!!! and you get the protein which cant be bad for you and the calcium.

too easy
@sassy1. I'm wondering if you soak the oats before hand it will be ok? ie instead of those quick cook ones? Be careful with pea proteins if you suffer from allergies. They are from the same family as peanuts and can create reactions in people.
rawkaren wrote: @sassy1. I'm wondering if you soak the oats before hand it will be ok? ie instead of those quick cook ones? Be careful with pea proteins if you suffer from allergies. They are from the same family as peanuts and can create reactions in people.

thanks but no allergies (that I know of) here @rawkaren
32 posts Page 2 of 3