The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

32 posts Page 1 of 3
New idea triggered by a post in a thread by @GMH
Which are the best mini protein bars to get for the purpose of breaking one's hunger pains on a fast day but not consuming too many calories or are they all very calorific? I want to be able to eat at least a "half-meal" at night on fast days.
Dont think ive ever consumed a protein bar.

Being a bit anti packaged foods... what about a recipe.. these look good
http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/homem ... r-recipes/
or
http://bembu.com/homemade-protein-bars

but anyone make protein bars from scratch here?
I make my own protein bars but their suitability depends on: i) how many calories you prefer per portion ii) how much protein v. carbs you want in the bars iii) whether you want them to be mostly wholefood or are willing to tolerate the use of ingredients such as isomalto-oligosaccharide syrup or powder (if these are available in Australia - they are in the UK).

For reasonable examples of iii) that are said to be akin to Quest bars, see, e.g.,
http://www.fitnesstreats.com/2013/10/ho ... vitafiber/
I like these for particular purposes but it has to be said that I've never had a Quest bar so can't comment on their similarity. Plus, I've an extensive range of good quality flavour compounds and drops as I use them when I bake/cook, and these make a substantial difference to flavouring such recipes without adding lots of calories.

A number of the recipes linked to from the article you highlight deliver 5:1 carbs: protein - altho' they would be very pleasant to eat, much depends on the ratio you're willing to accept for this item and within what kcal count.
@Juliana.Rivers I eat Aussie Bodies low carb high protein, around 100 cals. Exceedingly filling, just had one an hour ago. I'm onto the dark chocolate orange (I dislike milk chocolate, unless it's Toblerone:-)) so if I'm doing a 500 cal day, I set aside 100 cals for milk And 8 cal hot choc (Vitarium from Woolworths), 100 in mini protein and 300 cals of veg. Before I hit goal weight it was coffee for bfst, mini protein when I felt hungry, veggies around 2 to 3pm ish and hot choc during evening. Plus 1 or 2 more coffees. Don't buy coffee out on fast days, too many cals, I have a cappuccino machine at home. Oh and loads if water which has been my habit for 20+ years. Good luck!
I eat cottage cheese in this situation. Or a bit of roasted chicken (which is sold at the work cafeteria in convenient ~100g packages).
GMH wrote: @Juliana.Rivers I eat Aussie Bodies low carb high protein, around 100 cals. Exceedingly filling, just had one an hour ago. I'm onto the dark chocolate orange (I dislike milk chocolate, unless it's Toblerone:-)) so if I'm doing a 500 cal day, I set aside 100 cals for milk And 8 cal hot choc (Vitarium from Woolworths), 100 in mini protein and 300 cals of veg. Before I hit goal weight it was coffee for bfst, mini protein when I felt hungry, veggies around 2 to 3pm ish and hot choc during evening. Plus 1 or 2 more coffees. Don't buy coffee out on fast days, too many cals, I have a cappuccino machine at home. Oh and loads if water which has been my habit for 20+ years. Good luck!

thanks @GMH. ill try getting the Aussie bodies one next time at supermarket. Just went out now and completely forgot
4pm on fast day.. Itching to eat something as the growls were getting strong, jumped in car to local pharmacy and got
Swisse Protein bar 25 g (coconut flavour) about 90 calories
Musashi Bulk Mass gain (peanut flavor) 90g about 120 calories for a 1/3 bar serve

the big one i only ate a small bit and only got it cause i like anything peanut flavour not cause i want to add bulk to muscles lol .. most protein bars are in revolting strawberry and cherry flavour in this particular shop.

studying the ingredients ... gee a lot of those. to see if i can find something i can come up with from my little recipe collection i have here. these bars are so exxxy to eat daily. i guess 3 days a week aint bad but even so... im so anti commercial anything in a cellophane wrapper if i can help it.

Ill keep looking for one.. of the two i like the Musashi one for flavour

20 minutes later and no longer hungry so they work from that point of view.
Hi Guys. I spotted a home made protein bomb recipe in a book tonight. I'm off to bed now but will post it tomorrow for you.
rawkaren wrote: Hi Guys. I spotted a home made protein bomb recipe in a book tonight. I'm off to bed now but will post it tomorrow for you.

why thanks @rawkaren.
Ah, I've just seen that you don't permit IMO syrup or powder in Australia as yet.

http://travellingdietitian.com/grape-se ... r-in-2014/
@Juliana.Rivers have you considered a late lunch instead of dinner? Rather than snacking. I'm sure Krista Varady didn't just happen upon lunch for her research. When I changed to lunch instead of dinner I was no longer hungry all day. ...Or at night.
Agreeing with @GMH on Varaday. I thought I was an outlier on this forum for preferring lunch but I have a big lunch every day now and then close my eating window in the afternoon.
POWER PROTEIN BALLS
Makes 12 servings, 2 balls each.
1 cup almond or peanut butter
1 scoop protein powder
1 medium ripe banana mashed
3/4 cup quick cook rolled oats
2 tbspn sunflower seeds.

Combine all ingredients and shape in 24 walnut sized balls. Put in fridge for an hour before serving.
Calories 171
Fat 12g
Carbs 11g
Protein 8g. I guess if you wanted to up the protein even more you could put more protein powder in with a dash of water.
:like: looks a great recipe @Rawkaren. Is that from your raw food days? How long would those last in the fridge. Stupid question really as soon as hubs spots them they're history. Which is one reason I over eat as I feel I must get my share of stuff before its scoffed. Don't like missing out.
In UK moat health shops do a good range of mini protein bars. Do like them as calories are defined and I tend to have it as a treat to look forward to at work instead of biscuits or toast, which are all too readily available. Feel as though they're better as low gi/gl.
@peplum41. No I found it in a workout book I had as a birthday present. I guess you could freeze them so greedy people can't scarf the lot in one sitting!
@Rawkaren yes I only recently stumbled into lunch and I find it so much easier. Instead of spending all day starving, dreaming of food and waiting till night fall to be "allowed" food, eating a good amount when hungry, suits me. Don't find I am hungry after that.
GMH wrote: @Juliana.Rivers have you considered a late lunch instead of dinner? Rather than snacking. I'm sure Krista Varady didn't just happen upon lunch for her research. When I changed to lunch instead of dinner I was no longer hungry all day. ...Or at night.

@Gmh when you say late lunch what time would you call late lunch? I've noticed when I've had a bash at 19:5 eating that a good lunch does see me through the afternoon,but if it was 500 cals until bedtime, I'm not sure.
At what time, I wonder, does late lunch become early tea? :?: Does Dr Varady ever mention the reasons for her lunchtime model? Just wondering if it helps the hormone side of things with regards to appetite satiety.
32 posts Page 1 of 3