The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

42 posts Page 1 of 3
Butter or Margerine?
23 Jan 2015, 18:24
Hi
Do not know if this has been talked about but what do people use on their bread? I used to have Flora light spread but isn't that margerine and what other spreads are margerine, the reason I ask is because my hubby and I was in a supermarket last week end looking at all the spreads their are so many to choose from lol
I do not want margerine any more and bought a tub of Cant believe its not butter does that mean its marg he says its margerine!!
Got quite heated debate between us and I just walked away in the end, since I been on this WOE I do not eat much bread any way and don't miss it and if I do want bread its Warburtons thins I eat :-)
Just after peoples opinions of what they use.
Re: Butter or Margerine?
23 Jan 2015, 18:34
Yes it's been talked about before , I'm in the butter camp. Now that i know more about nutrition and that a little bit of fat isn't bad anymore,
23 Jan 2015, 18:39
Hiii Marion, i deffo go for butter these days..and from grassfed cows if poss
Grassfed brands include Anchor and Kerrygold
Another lovely butter is President
I carefully weigh butter and bear in mind the cal content as i now believe we are better iff having full fat rather than low fat when it comes to spreads,yoghurts etc.. I feel its better for me specially as i am gettimpng older and want to look after my bones and feed my face..
I still have semi skimmed milk in tea and i now have full fat milk on the rare occasions i have cereal ( i could eat cereal til it came out of my ears but more or less stopped when i rwalised it never filled me,just woke my carb monster)
Another thing that put me off marge type spreads was i read its actually grey! And they have to colour it to make it look palatable! X
23 Jan 2015, 18:41
Butter all the way!
23 Jan 2015, 19:02
100% butter for me - Kerrygold actually. Like you @mariondot40 I don't eat nearly as much bread as I used to so when I do I have a generous amount of butter and don't worry about it.
23 Jan 2015, 19:28
Butter only in this house, none of that artificial marg rubbish! We eat loads as well as we love our bread and toast and I'm also a pastry chef.
(I can't believe it's not butter and all other spreads are just marg BTW and full of really unhealthy trans fats, avoid if possible)
23 Jan 2015, 21:12
Butter - grassfed!
23 Jan 2015, 21:46
I don't eat bread by and large (not the stuff made with flour anyway but that's way off track). However, I make a butter spread for the household because of the convenience of having something spreadable for those who eat bread and because no less a baking authority than Delia ( :) ) has proclaimed that spreadable butter is OK to use in most cake recipes without the faffing round of bringing it to temperature for creaming.

For eating purposes and most cakes I use 70% butter to 30% cold pressed rapeseed (I bring the butter to beating temperature and then beat/whip in the oil until smooth before tubbing and keeping in the fridge).
23 Jan 2015, 23:07
Organic butter.

I avoid omega-6 oils as there is far too much of it in our diets already and it is pro-inflammatory. Butter has various healthy things in it, a bit of Omega 3, and it tastes wonderful.
23 Jan 2015, 23:16
During the great Christmas butter shortage of 2014 in Japan, I used margarine for baking. I felt dirty. :-(
24 Jan 2015, 16:03
Butter fan here too! :grin:
24 Jan 2015, 16:09
Thanx for replies may be my hubby was right then ( but not going to tell him lol) well next time I need spread it will be butter. And after having a back to back fast Thurs and Fri I have been a naughty girl and eaten some Maryland biscuits :-( but did share them with my grand-daughter though and still counted them on MFP and have 100 cals left Ekkkkk.
24 Jan 2015, 17:58
Butter! Image
24 Jan 2015, 18:23
I love butter but we use Clover because I cannot be bothered with butter which is never at the right temperature for spreading! :curse: It seems to always be too hard or running all over the place, so for me Clover serves a useful purpose.
I am, however, interested in the idea of making my own spreadable butter as described by @Ssure, so may well give it a whirl! Has anyone got any idea about what they put into commercial, spreadable butter? I suppose I could go and read the labels in the supermarket but generally one needs a science degree in order to make any sense of food labels! I'll report back if I have a go at making my own. :angel:
24 Jan 2015, 18:32
StowgateResident wrote: I love butter but we use Clover because I cannot be bothered with butter which is never at the right temperature for spreading! ...
I am, however, interested in the idea of making my own spreadable butter ...I suppose I could go and read the labels in the supermarket but generally one needs a science degree in order to make any sense of food labels! I'll report back if I have a go at making my own. :angel:

I worked out mine by looking at the label for Lurpak Spreadable (brand recommended by Delia) - I think choice of oil is very much as suits you, @StowgateResident :)

Butter (64%) (Milk), Rapeseed Oil, Water, Lactic Culture (Milk), Salt

Tho' I could swear when I looked it was originally 70% butter not 64% but that probably makes it more spreadable - I'm happy without the water as they might make it spoil faster tho' I doubt it's more than 2tbsp.
42 posts Page 1 of 3