The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

61 posts Page 3 of 5
I can add my testimonial that drinking wine did not keep me from losing weight (at the rate of 2 lbs/week, 22 lbs total, the last 8 without strict 5:2, but more like 6:1 maintenance). But, as Ballerina mentions, consumption naturally went down. Going without wine and other goodies on fasting days helped to wean me away from mindlessly consuming on non-fasting days. I used to drink 1-2 glasses of wine every night, but now it's not a necessary part of my routine, and when I do feel like having some (or if I can't get to sleep) I'm generally happy with a few sips. There have been several studies that have found that moderate drinkers lower their risk of dying over non-drinkers (here's one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10979375), so wine in moderation is nothing to feel badly about.
I drink like a sailor and have still lost 3 stone since January. You just have to make up for any splurges by missing a meal or 2 along with your 5:2. If your just having a glass a night just add it in to you daily allowance but if having a bottle or 2 then defiantly miss out some breakfast or lunches in the week to make up for it :wink:
mummybunny2005 wrote: SianS, I agree with you. Yes, it is possible but it will take longer. For me that's fine because I don't want the day I reach goal to be some magical "thank God - now I can finally eat all the stuff I've been depriving myself of the last few months!" moment. That's what has made me a yo-yo dieter for all these years. I want the day I reach goal, and the days after it, to be like any other day in terms of what I eat and drink.

Exactly! :like:

Once I figured out how 5:2 works and that I could do it, I made a second decision. I decided I would eat and drink what I wanted to. I realized by doing this I would not lose weight as quickly as I could, but felt quick weight loss was not as important as enjoying the weight loss process (unheard of, I know). I know that whenever I get to whatever weight I want to get to, I will just keep on eating and drinking the way I did to get there. There will be no 'now I can finally eat bread and potatoes and ice cream and have a beer' - and gain it all back.

5:2 is magic, and I love it. :grin:
Chipmunkcheeks wrote: You just have to make up for any splurges by missing a meal or 2 along with your 5:2. If your just having a glass a night just add it in to you daily allowance but if having a bottle or 2 then defiantly miss out some breakfast or lunches in the week to make up for it :wink:

My philosophy entirely. And if you're in a rush to lose weight one week, drop the booze and the carbs. Nothing is for ever.
Hi, I'm new to all this and as this is my first day I'm thinking so far so good!! (First day joy) however I like a glass of wine or three and was hoping to do this and enjoy my wine too on non fasting days. Fingers crossed and i will keep on sipping my vino
My love of this WoE boils down to "you don't have to cut anything out"

Some fasts I've been tempted to throw the whole 500 at some vino. Just joking, really!

But seriously, I want to make this plan the way I eat for the rest of my life, so if I don't plan to live a life without wine, why cut it out arbitrarily now? That to my mind is the problem with "diets" - when the weight is lost and the diet is over, then what?
Good grief, feels like there's a little holding back from some on this subject & some of the less helpful comments on here! :grin:

I :heart: wine, but since I've started eating healthily (and now I'm back to IF), I've noticed that when I drink, I don't snack. That was my problem before, I'd have a drink and out would come the crisps or peanuts or whatever.

I say you can drink wine and lose weight - just be mindful of your intake! As someone else said, everything in moderation.

But seriously, let's not get all judgmental about people and their (completely normal) tastes and ways! Live and let live! (As long as everyone is behaving - who cares)

Let he without sin cast the first stone!! :razz:
I know that I often drink too much wine. I also know that I can go weeks without (I do so several times a year). I also know that I can go into social situations & not drink - small one; last night out with customers who necked a bottle each, I was on sparkling water, big one; volunteer driver New Years Eve, no probs (how I WISH I'd been breathalysed!).

HOWEVER I DO LIKE MY WINE. I choose, on a fast day, to save 50 cals for 2 fingers (horizontal, not vertical!) of wine at 22h00 as a treat - I think I deserve it.

It's a choice. I still lose weight.
Yes.
GMH wrote: Yes.

:lol:
I wouldn't have thought so. The body metabolises alcohol quickly, so leaving the peanuts and crisps to sit in gut and go to fat stores. I've seen many a chap with a massive beer gut, but that said, some guys drink like fish and are very slight in body too.
zamale wrote: I wouldn't have thought so. The body metabolises alcohol quickly, so leaving the peanuts and crisps to sit in gut and go to fat stores. I've seen many a chap with a massive beer gut, but that said, some guys drink like fish and are very slight in body too.

I think the lowest calorie alcohol is vodka.
If I gave up wine I would have to change my name!!! I don't normally drink during the week now unless we are out to a meal. But come Friday it's definitely Wineoclock. Come to think of it it's Friday today yay!!!!
And yes I've lost weight not mountains but I've still lost.
I'm very glad I asked the question. It has been worrying me for, well, years!
The answers have been genuinely useful and in some parts funny!
Thank you everyone - see you at AA! ;-)
61 posts Page 3 of 5