The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

61 posts Page 1 of 5
I obviously don't drink wine on fast days but like to have a glass or three on other days. I haven't lost much at all but I've had a stressful couple of months and haven't stuck to 5:2 very well. Back on it now and missing breakfast on other days to keep calories lowish without having to count.
I'd love to know if there are other winos out there who have had some success!
Yesh you can indeed hic!

I've cut down to mostly a couple of bottles at the weekend now but yes and wouldn't give it up. That's the pleasure of this WOE.

Also weigh yourself the morning after and see how much weight you've magically lost :wink:

Yeah I know it's the dehydration but in my book wine makes you lose weight. :grin:
I'm sure you can but it just takes so much longer.
Catalena wrote: I obviously don't drink wine on fast days but like to have a glass or three on other days. I haven't lost much at all but I've had a stressful couple of months and haven't stuck to 5:2 very well. Back on it now and missing breakfast on other days to keep calories lowish without having to count.
I'd love to know if there are other winos out there who have had some success!

No.

I took one look at the (empty) calories of booze and realised it wasn't working any more.

It was booze or loose the timber and I want to loose the timber.

I too have had a pretty grotty month.
Alf wrote: Yesh you can indeed hic!

I've cut down to mostly a couple of bottles at the weekend now but yes and wouldn't give it up. That's the pleasure of this WOE.

Also weigh yourself the morning after and see how much weight you've magically lost :wink:

Yeah I know it's the dehydration but in my book wine makes you lose weight
. :grin:

That, with respect, is the biggest load of crap I ve heard in a long time.

No offence intended.
I would say that cutting back or cutting out on alcohol should be part of any weight loss plan. It's not just the "empty calories" but after a few drinks you are more likely to eat naughty foods. Nobody drinks a lot and then thinks "I'd really like a salad".

Currently I'm trying to cut back so I only drink one or twice a week (and never on a fast day). Not only should it be good for my weight but it should be good for my wallet too.
Yes you can.

But it will be slower than if you don't. The calories in wine are admittedly empty calories, but are no worse than the other empty calories you might consume instead. I only drink at weekends now and find I'm a bit of a drinking lightweight. I have lost 35lbs so far and I could have had miserable tee-total weekends and got here quicker, but that was the trade off I chose.
SianS, I agree with you. Yes, it is possible but it will take longer. For me that's fine because I don't want the day I reach goal to be some magical "thank God - now I can finally eat all the stuff I've been depriving myself of the last few months!" moment. That's what has made me a yo-yo dieter for all these years. I want the day I reach goal, and the days after it, to be like any other day in terms of what I eat and drink.

If you don't intend to give up wine forever (and if you do, there's nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't sound like your goal) I would suggest that you find some way to work reasonable amounts of it into a sane, sensible eating plan, one that you can keep forever and maintain your weight and not feel deprived. But that's just my opinion.
David F

It was a joke hence the smiley.

I'm losing weight, SianS is losing an incredible amount, so yes you can drink wine and lose weight. I'm sure we can all work out that like any other calorie they are factored in to overall consumption.

Good for you if you need to go down the teetotal route. I and others don't
SianS wrote: Yes you can.

But it will be slower than if you don't. The calories in wine are admittedly empty calories, but are no worse than the other empty calories you might consume instead. I only drink at weekends now and find I'm a bit of a drinking lightweight. I have lost 35lbs so far and I could have had miserable tee-total weekends and got here quicker, but that was the trade off I chose.

Interesting statement.

If you guys are miserable without alcohol....your words not mine....it maybe begs a question in it's self. (as indeed it did me)

"The calories in wine are admittedly empty calories, but are no worse than the other empty calories you might consume instead"

so, beacuse if you did not drink alcohol, you might drink some thing else instead, its'ok to drink alcohol

LOL I'm going shopping I've had enough :lol:
Yes you can!! I've not given anything up that's the beauty of this WOL. And have even had the occasional glass on a fastday!!! Well its worked for me, obviously not recommended on F/days because of the empty calories :clover: Sue
In the past week I've drunk 3 bottles of wine and lost 2lbs. Ok, it's been my first week on 5:2 but prior to that I lost 3 stone 9lbs on Weight Watchers and drank wine every week.

But yes, it obviously adds extra calories so it'll take you longer - but if you're not in a hurry why not still enjoy a drink or two? :drink:
David F, again, with all due respect, I don't think it's really helpful to suggest that someone has a problem with alcohol because they wouldn't find it pleasurable (or indeed would find it miserable) to have to abstain while everyone around them was drinking in a social occasion, when they were perfectly able to moderate and reduce their intake otherwise.

If I'm being respectfully honest your tone is pretty moralising, and I don't think it helps in the OP's getting an answer to her question - can you lose weight while drinking wine? The answer is patently yes. You may find the road so much harder as not to be worth it if you don't go teetotal, and by your own admission you may have your own issues with alcohol, but many of us don't need to be that rigid about it. It's perfectly legitimate to say that we would prefer to be able to enjoy all the pleasures of life (of which wine is one) while taking perhaps a slower journey to an ideal weight.
Thanks everyone.
Mummybunny, that makes a lot of sense. I need to find a balance which I can live with but allows me to lose weight. I know if I gave up wine altogether I would lose lots of weight but as I don't want to give it up permanently I'd just put the weight straight back on once I got to goal. I've done that so often before you'd think I'd have learned by now!
David F
Thank you for your comments.
You are obviously perfect in all ways.
The rest of us will just muddle along
61 posts Page 1 of 5