The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Cross my fingers and hope
12 Jun 2015, 07:06
Seriously, I can't for the life of me figure out why I have had such a hard time after the thyroids drop to get back at fasting. Even though I haven't eating a lot of food, the intake of wine have been a bit on the heavy side though. I have managed one day here and there at times one per week, the other days my body have screamed "feed me!!". The end came last weekend when I stepped on the scales and it showed 88,8kg. Again!!!! That is +6,8kg from the best result I had in ages. :( So enough was enough and I have managed two good fast this week and this morning the scales showed 87.0kg. Small cheer! Can't stand being that overweight again (well, there was still too much of me even at 82kg) although some of it might be muscles since I walk Diego almost every day for 45 minutes.
So now I cross my fingers and hope that I will have the willpower to overcome the hunger pangs for a long time being.

In a couple of hours me and The Dh will drive down to Norrköping for Sams secondary high school graduation called "ta studenten". My baby is all grown up :heart:
Hugs allaround!
Re: Cross my fingers and hope
12 Jun 2015, 07:19
Great to hear from you Wolfie and well done on your successful fasts this week, here's hoping the fasting scares away the hunger monster :clover: sounds like a lovely afternoon you'll have with your big boy.
12 Jun 2015, 07:32
Just echoing what @lizbean said Wolfie x
Glad youre fighting off that carb monster, i do battle with him every day! Image
Congrats to yr lovely boy x
12 Jun 2015, 15:07
OMG Wolfie, I've been the same way. I had radioactive thyroid ablation in January (they killed my throid) and I've had zero motivation to get back to regular fasting.
I had to start meds last month, and I've found that I take my levothyroxine on an empty stomach at about 6:15am, and an hour later, I'm *very* hungry. I've never been one to be hungry in the morning. This is making it very difficult to fast.

I need to read up, but I seem to remember that people with low thyroids should not fast for more than 12-16 hours, but to be honest, I haven't gone back to find the studies Caro had posted. She posted them back when my thyroid was too fast, and now I need to learn about life and weight loss when a thyroid is too slow.

Congratulations on your baby's graduation!! I can't believe how fast time flies. My son is only 4 years away from graduation now. It's so hard to believe
12 Jun 2015, 15:40
@tracieknits iTHINK i read that those of us with low thyroid shouls fast 14 hours at most,tho i know ive done more than that several times
For the last six months Ive been on a medication for other health probs which initially helped my underactive thyroid but now its back to struggling again :( grrrrrr ....
I feel for you Tracie as i know youve been thru so much with thyroid related probs ..my Nan and Mum both had overactive thyroids which caused them a lot of trouble ...Nans went untreated and she just died one day sitting in her armchair..Mum had op which ( i think) was to cut out some thyroid...they were worried it wd damage her voice box but it didnt..however by then her heart had been very badly affected ..in fact she wasnt expected to survive carrying me but as a Catholic could do nothing about it..luckily we both survived and she lived another 50 years after giving birth to me! X
12 Jun 2015, 18:08
Aw, CandiceMarie - it's tough, isn't it. I'm glad your mom did so well with it and definitely glad you both survived :-)
12 Jun 2015, 21:36
Feeling for everyone coping with medical challenges. While I find it hard to understand some of the intricate details, I'm still here cheering and supporting as best I can. :clover: :victory: :heart:
13 Jun 2015, 03:28
Go , @Wolfie. What days are you fasting?
13 Jun 2015, 08:13
It certainly helps when you can find that naughty little fasting mojo. Like many mojos, they like to go and hide for a while then pop back when they feel like it. :oops:
13 Jun 2015, 10:48
https://www.fastday.com/fasting/intermi ... disorders/

Briefly, don't fast more than 24 hours; eat during daylight hours only, reduce carbs especially refined carbs, but don't go very low carb. Eating red meat, green leafy veg may help thyroid function. I'm still keeping my eye on any new research on the situation.

Good luck to all those with thyroid problems, here's hoping you can find a way of eating that works for you. :clover:
13 Jun 2015, 12:48
First - THANK you all for being such a lovely and caring people. :heart:

Sally, I used to fast Mondays and Wednesday (or Thursday) but now when Monday at times goes impossible, I do Tuesday and Thursday.

My thyroid levels are back to normal (after lowering the dose of Levaxin from 150 to 100) so I really can't blame that. or, during the time when the levels was bad I just couldn't fast. I take my meds round 10am and honestly never thought the time could make any difference. And I already does a 24 hr fast - that is I eat dinner on day 1, nothing until the same time the next day and then nothing more that day..... Have I got it all wrong?

Yesterday and today was a glorious day - summer warmth, blue sky - just lovely. And Sam's graduation was emotional and he was so darned happy :grin: :victory: I might post a pic later iaf anyone is interested. Tonight homemade souvlaki, tsatziki and grilled flatbread along a substantial dose of rose wine :cool:
11 posts Page 1 of 1