The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

36 posts Page 3 of 3
Lelibelle wrote: Since reading that daily weighing is more effective than weekly weighing, I've changed to daily weighing. However I'm not sure I like the boringly obsessive person I've become. There are so many better ways to start the day...

I'm another daily weigher who isn't crazy about it. On this particular diet, as spiky as it is from day to day, I see the need in case you hit a weekly high or low on a weekly weigh in and don't get a good picture of your progress. I like the idea of keeping it up on maintenance at first because I think I'll feel more confident with a closer eye on things. Eventually, though, I'd like to step back to weekly weighing.

Back to topic: I thought Dr. Varady's response was very diplomatic.
What she has said on her facebook page earlier on about daily weighing in reference to ADF is that you always take the average of your fast and feats days. if you weigh 65 kg on a fast day then 66 kg on the feast day your weight is 65.5 kg.

For 5.2 that would be like averaging the couple of days surrounding the fast I would assume.

I still think the subject matter is a pretty tiny fleck to be picking a fight over - I also thought her book was very well written and liked the points she made. I understand what she was meaning by the originally posted comment and think this takes it way off track from the meaning of her context.

Im gonna leave this subject where it is :-)
While I agree with Caroline that better studies need to be designed & undertaken, ultimately each person has to do what makes them least crazy. Decades ago, daily weighing brought me to the brink of self harm, so I stopped. With 5:2, I decided to weigh monthly figuring any true losses will show up over time. For me, I'm finding I'm actually more compliant on my fast days because I want to see results at the end of the month. So far, its working, even though its only been a couple of months. So, if what you're doing works, more power to you! There is more collective wisdom on this board than I've found anywhere else.
wendyjane wrote:
Moogie wrote: Can we please be careful about calling authors dishonest etc, I know it's your opinion but I really don't want a libel/defamation case on my hands!

I believe she was dishonest, I believe in free speech, but I understand well that in the real world people get sued over far less, and so I promise to be more diplomatic in the future on this site. Sorry, @Moogie!! :frown:

And if she is reading this thread, her response to my angry message was quite diplomatic, so "Good on her!" as you folks across the pond like to say. :smile:

Thanks @wendyjane I also believe in free speech but unfortunately I'm becoming increasingly aware that this can't safely exist online, as I see more and more people getting locked away (I know, it seems absurd!) for what they say on twitter and other sites being sued for user posted content. I gather from what you say that she has replied to your message and hasn't taken issue with it so hopefully no problem here. It's nothing personal against you which I'm sure you understand, I'd just hate for us to lose what we have here because someone with deep pockets decides they don't like something that's been said!
I am thinking that the whole thing is a bit like the chicken and egg situation. I know when I am loosing I tend to weigh often. When I am going off the rails I don't. The implication would be that daily weighing helps me lose weight but I just think that I have my head in the sand the rest of the time. A scientist ought to be able to figure out the inaccuracy of her observation.
TBrewerton wrote: Im gonna leave this subject where it is :-)

Agreed! Since I started the discussion, maybe I have the right to end it. Though I stand by my complaints, the book and the author seem to be getting good reviews from our crowd here on the forum, as well as in the limited number of amazon reviews (the one star review says she and her husband have been on this diet for two weeks and she hasn't lost one ounce and her husband has only lost a pound...I have one word for this person - PATIENCE!!)

Any good source for IF information gets a thumbs up from me!

And here's the official thread ender :smile:

:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:
36 posts Page 3 of 3