The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

36 posts Page 2 of 3
I couldn't see it either, maybe they grab the posts until someone has chance to check it over. I posted a complaint on the ratchet site just before Xmas as my email has been ignored and there was no other way of speaking to an actual person. It was removed, but it was visible for a short while.
It was there earlier, I definitely saw it.
Yea - its been removed - maybe she, like me couldn't see the point of the post? Can anyone explain it to me lol
Very suspicious about some of these sites - they are managed by PR people, not the real public figures or authors at all. Bet it never appears.
TBrewerton wrote: Yea - its been removed - maybe she, like me couldn't see the point of the post? Can anyone explain it to me lol

Dr Varady claims that people who weigh every day lose more weight than those who weigh less frequently but the research papers she quotes actually only show that people who weigh themselves at all lose more weight than those who do not.

However, I did find a paper that supports her theory: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512320
The reason for the benefit to frequent weighing could be this:
On average, the intervention group self-weighed more days/week (6.1 ± 1.1 vs. 1.1 ± 1.5; P < 0.0001) and consumed fewer calories/day compared to the control group [mean (95% CI); 6 months: 1,509 (1,291, 1,728) vs. 1,856 (1,637, 2,074); group × time interaction: P = 0.006].

Here's another one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16336072
Higher weighing frequency was associated with greater 24-month weight loss or less weight gain.

So, perhaps Dr V chose her citations poorly. I couldn't find any studies that showed more frequent weighing was detrimental.

Of course it's not the daily weighing per se that causes the improved weight loss, it's the fact that it appeared to result in lower calorie intake. Further, none of these studies looked at 5:2 or ADF, which may well be different as it does not require daily calorie restriction. Lastly, just because on average more frequent weighers lost more weight does not mean that for any particular individual daily weighing is essential!

It would be useful to find a proper study comparing daily, weekly and monthly weighing. Most of the studies I found were flawed.
TBrewerton wrote: ... maybe she, like me couldn't see the point of the post? Can anyone explain it to me lol

Varady's summarizing statements seem obvious and reasonable with calls for further study in the conclusion.

"Conclusions
Based on the consistency of the evidence reviewed, frequent self-weighing, at the very least, seems to be a good predictor of moderate weight loss, less weight regain, or the avoidance of initial weight gain in adults. More targeted research is needed in this area to determine the causal role of frequent self-weighing in weight loss/weight gain prevention programs. Other open questions to be pursued include the optimal dose of self-weighing, as well as the risks posed for negative psychological consequences."
ADFnFuel wrote:
TBrewerton wrote: ... maybe she, like me couldn't see the point of the post? Can anyone explain it to me lol

Varady's summarizing statements seem obvious and reasonable with calls for further study in the conclusion.

"Conclusions
Based on the consistency of the evidence reviewed, frequent self-weighing, at the very least, seems to be a good predictor of moderate weight loss, less weight regain, or the avoidance of initial weight gain in adults. More targeted research is needed in this area to determine the causal role of frequent self-weighing in weight loss/weight gain prevention programs. Other open questions to be pursued include the optimal dose of self-weighing, as well as the risks posed for negative psychological consequences."

My Thoughts exactly - I really don't see what all this fuss is about. When I read the book I read her point from the view that she was saying during the study people seemed more aware of their weight when they self weighed which in the case of the study resulted in them sticking to the regime better.

As you say - her conclusion states that there is much more study to be done in that area but it may be a way to help further your weight loss by being more aware of your body fluctuations.
@TBrewerton and @ADFnFuel -

These are NOT her conclusions, these are the conclusions of the study she is referencing in her book!

The point of the post is that she is ignoring the studies she is referencing, by essentially saying that everyone who wants to lose weight should be weighing daily. She is inferring that the studies support daily weighing, when in reality the studies she is quoting support regular weighing, which is certainly not the same thing.
Thanks for your post. First of all, I'm glad intermittent fasting is working for you and I wish you continued success. When we were writing the book, I actually thought that weekly weighing was preferable, but then I was completely compelled by all the new evidence for daily weighing. No matter, I always tell people to do what works for them. So if weekly weighing works for you, by all means, do this. However, several of our subjects swear by daily weighing, so I tell them to continue this habit. Best wishes.

This is the response on the Facebook site
carorees wrote: ...
[1]Of course it's not the daily weighing per se that causes the improved weight loss, it's the fact that it appeared to result in lower calorie intake.

[2]Further, none of these studies looked at 5:2 or ADF, which may well be different as it does not require daily calorie restriction.

[3]Lastly, just because on average more frequent weighers lost more weight does not mean that for any particular individual daily weighing is essential!

[4]It would be useful to find a proper study comparing daily, weekly and monthly weighing. Most of the studies I found were flawed.

[1] My thought as well, but hadn't considered that lower calorie intake might be an independent factor. Had considered instead a greater likelihood of being able to change subsequent meals after a weighing - for better awareness and for quicker adjustment.

[2] Tis' a shame.

[3] Most definitely; don't make it a chore.

[4] Curious - any commonalities amongst the flaws?

thanks,
Most studies did not divide the participants into two groups, one weighing daily, one weekly or whatever. Most just encouraged participants to weigh themselves and later asked them how often they weighed. Thus, people were weighing at different intervals and not necessarily consistently. We don't know what other differences existed between the frequent vs infrequent weighers which might have affected the results.
Can we please be careful about calling authors dishonest etc, I know it's your opinion but I really don't want a libel/defamation case on my hands!
Moogie wrote: Can we please be careful about calling authors dishonest etc, I know it's your opinion but I really don't want a libel/defamation case on my hands!

I believe she was dishonest, I believe in free speech, but I understand well that in the real world people get sued over far less, and so I promise to be more diplomatic in the future on this site. Sorry, @Moogie!! :frown:

And if she is reading this thread, her response to my angry message was quite diplomatic, so "Good on her!" as you folks across the pond like to say. :smile:
Since reading that daily weighing is more effective than weekly weighing, I've changed to daily weighing. However I'm not sure I like the boringly obsessive person I've become. There are so many better ways to start the day...
carorees wrote: Most studies did not divide the participants into two groups, one weighing daily, one weekly or whatever. Most just encouraged participants to weigh themselves and later asked them how often they weighed. Thus, people were weighing at different intervals and not necessarily consistently. We don't know what other differences existed between the frequent vs infrequent weighers which might have affected the results.

I think this is Dr Allison's complaint about the current studies. A proper randomized control is required to determine causality (whether direct or indirect).

I think wendyjane makes a good point that Varady overstated the benefits of daily vs. weekly weighing in the book based on the papers she referenced.

Having said all that, I really liked the book. I thought the sections on exercise and maintenance were great, and a far cry from any other diet book I've read (my low carb one more or less discourages exercise!) it's more science based (even if she got bits wrong) than most (or all?) of the others, too. It's a bit cheerleadery in that way diet books can be, and I didn't like the look of the recipes ( though I guess they could be handy if you're in a hurry).
36 posts Page 2 of 3