The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Fasting and fertility
17 Feb 2016, 08:33
As some of you have read in another post, my partner and I have decided to try to make a baby - just writing it, I am all giddy and excited. I am in a healthy weight range (nearly 19 BMI), no major health issue however I am no spring chicken (42 next month) never had a full term pregnancy (had a miscarriage years ago) which, I read, could make things harder.

My question is this, does fasting can have an effect on fertility ? I still have my periods like clockwork, never took the pill or any hormones (I did an allergy when I was 20 and never took anything since) so that won't interfere but I wonder if fasting can cut back my chances of getting pregnant - if I can get pregnant, of course

Re: Fasting and fertility
17 Feb 2016, 10:22
@carorees might be able to answer your question.
17 Feb 2016, 21:02
Until carorees catches up with this thread, here one link (of many) from a google search for "fasting and fertility":

http://www.drsarasolomon.com/intermitte ... fertility/

and another using "fasting and fertility low BMI":

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/health/p ... fertility/
18 Feb 2016, 11:20
I have no answers to you question, so I wish you the very best of luck on your new endeavor. :clover: :clover: :clover:
18 Feb 2016, 11:51
@Manderley Congratulations on your new venture!
ADFnFuel has found some good articles. Fasting itself is unlikely to affect fertility (how did we as a species survive if our reproductive ability required a constant supply of food?) but if through fasting you over-stress your body or lower your weight too far then your fertility could well be affected. Although BMI is quoted in those articles, what actually counts is whether you have enough fat stores. The body shuts down ovulation if you don't have enough fat stores to supply a growing baby, so the fact that you have regular periods is reassuring. Certainly you should be aiming not to lose more weight and you may increase your chances of success if you allow yourself to gain a little.
I hope that helps!
Good luck :clover:
18 Feb 2016, 12:12
Thank you all for your input and well wishes :rose:

I know it's a long shot, so there's no pressure, even if, the more I think about it, the more I would love to carry a child.
I have to put on some weight, just 4 kilos to be 53 kg with a 20 BMI - which will please my partner who wish I was less skinny anyway. We also have to watch my stress level, especially after these past 2 years and even if it's much better now. I think the first step is to be sure that I still have a normal ovulation and go with the flow when it comes to food, fast only when I want, even if it's not regularly, and trying to relax as much as possible.

And practice, practice, practice ! :grin:
04 Mar 2016, 23:32
I got pregnant with #2 child in 2014 when I was 5:2ing while training for a half marathon. In fact, I found out I was pregnant with him two days after the half marathon! I actually found that my periods were more regular when fasting. I think losing weight (about 4kgs) really helped. It took about 18 months trying to conceive, the last five months were when i was also fasting. I definitely found no issue although I did ease up a bit on the fasts in the two weeks post ovulation - it had taken us so long to get pregnant that I didn't want to jeopardise anything so I had maybe 1,000 cals on a fast day post ovulation but I was also running about 5 or 6km on fast days.

I stopped fasting as soon as i found out I was pregnant.

Good luck to you! Hope that you have a quick and easy journey to having a baby!
06 Mar 2016, 20:23
Well, I had my daughter at 39, first child although I had an ectopic pregnancy about 2 years previously. We weren't trying to get pregnant. Actually, were kind of avoiding it, sort of. :oops: I was not thin, but not overweight either, watching food intake at the time. I had a great pregnancy except for gestational diabetes--watched diet, checked blood, and had zero complications. In our Lamaze group (only 3 classes, before labor :confused: ), the oldest 2 moms both had natural childbirth with no problems! My daughter was born 45 minutes after our arrival at the hospital, beautiful, completely perfect! So, go for it! Get plenty of rest and think about meditation if you don't already do it. It helps in everything! :victory:
8 posts Page 1 of 1