The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

22 posts Page 2 of 2
salt is not a problem if you are low carbing as your body tends to lose salt. carbs cause salt retention...
Read Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth About Wheat, Carbs, and Sugars – Your Brain’s Silent Killers by Dr David Perlmutter. Might help you reduce the bread buys. ;)
Thank you for the explanations, it's mainly about commercial breads. Fortunately, now retired I've got plenty of time to make our own.

The Guardian link article was spot on. I've had Andrew Whitley's book for many years, for those of you who have to buy commercial bread best not read the chart of what chemicals go into it. Also, be aware that some artisan bakers throw certain chemicals in to ensure the loaf rises to a supermarket height.

justdee. Just to say, the salt part of the recipe I was using goes in with the second lot of flour not the first. Sorry about that.

For anyone who finds the rising times difficult, here's another way - make dough one evening, oil a bowl and put dough in, cover and leave in fridge overnight. In the morning, shape into a tin, cover and put back in the fridge. When you get home from work, take out loaf tin, oven to required heat - if you can let dough warm up but I've taken a loaf straight from fridge and put it into a hot oven. And on one occasion when I was really short of time, put the dough into a cold oven and then turned it to about 230C.
I've recently cut down the amount of bread I eat - from about 90g/lunch to about 70g, to reduce the amount of carbs I eat.

Here's an overnight, no-knead recipe that fits into any schedule (method C):

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/basic-loaf-of-bread.html

Since I'm the only one eating this, it lasts me about a fortnight!

Hi Dennis! :smile:
I'm praying that my efforts yesterday were not a fluke - but I made some low-carb gluten free rolls that honestly tasted like proper brown bread rolls...

I'll do them again today just to 'confirm' their yumptiousness but, if you can't wait, the recipe is here: progress-f4/topic6427-360.html#p117689

If you try them, please, please, let me know how you get on!!!
We hardly eat bread anymore. I tend to have a shop bought sliced loaf in the freezer incase anyone fancies beans on toast! A loaf has never lasted so long!
Yeah it is so useful in maintaining health too!
22 posts Page 2 of 2