The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

22 posts Page 1 of 2
I used to buy maybe 7 loaves a week, then some bread rolls at probably the cost of say $50 a week maybe $40 if i got the cheaper loaves

down to only 2.5 a week, at a cost of only $7.00 (from a local bakery that does amazingly fresh loaves, and not the commercial "plastic bread" crap full of preservative at vast expense or at cheaper price if you buy 2 at once (never wise unless you have a huge family)

anyhow. the gain is

at least $40 saving a week, thats $150 plus per month
and a better weight loss situation and health no doubt.

btw I have 3.5 people in the household. we all used to love bread with multiple sandwiches

Did you know the average 2 slice sandwich is like 300 to 280 calories for just the bread part! and we used to easily consume 2 at a time.
ive been on this diet for a good 7 months and it never really hit me the damage bread does. even on a feast day it can be a problem. and its an expensive way to consume calories.

I like making bread if i have time but even then its got its issues.
I've stopped buying bread. I got a breadmaker early this year and and have now got into the habit of making bread about 3 times a week. Much nicer bread though it does take longer to toast than commercial bread. I usually make a 60:40 mix of white flour and a seeded wholemeal flour. I've no idea if I'm saving money yet as the breadmaker was about £100. We are a family of 3, 2 of whom try to be lowish carb.
I too bake bread. I use the mthod taught by baker Peter Reinhart so it is all hands on but with very little kneading (Artisan Breads Everyday) for the IMHO superior taste to "plasticy" supermarket bread. I basically don't eat bread (or other farinaceous food) unless I have bakedit from scratch. This stops me from just going out and buying some mass produced croissants and stuffing myself full (which I would happily do b/c I love that kind of food.

What I do when making a sandwich is I only use one slice of bread. I either toast the bread and filling flat under a grill/ sandwich press or I cut the piece of bread in half and make a sandwich out of one piece of bread. It cuts the carb cals down but still lets me have the occasional sandwich.
My downfall was always bread - I used to think I couldn't live without it, and now I don't buy it at all. I eat things like oatcakes (and then not often)with some protein to reduce the blood sugar hit and while I think that bread cravings are most likely to be my 'downfall', so far so good! Never thought it would happen :-)
loversghost wrote: My downfall was always bread - I used to think I couldn't live without it, and now I don't buy it at all. I eat things like oatcakes (and then not often)with some protein to reduce the blood sugar hit and while I think that bread cravings are most likely to be my 'downfall', so far so good! Never thought it would happen :-)

oh me too @loversghost.For as long as I can remember I have automatically eaten some sort of sandwich at lunchtime and never thought I'd be able to give up such a staple part of my diet. I still buy bread for hubby and son and for myself a small low G.I. seeded loaf but am finding I'm not even getting through that in a week now and am satisfied with a thin slice now and then. :like:
Bread here is my downfall too. Even though I had managed to go gluten free for 6 months and the subsequent bread free diet, it was bread that drew me back. The smell of it coming out of the oven and the butter melting on toast.
I try to only buy one loaf a week for hubby and make my own the rest of the week if its needed.
If you want a sandwich or tortilla type roll, whole lettuce leaves are a good substitute. I love smearing a lettuce leaf with cream cheese, adding sliced red pepper and a good grind of fresh black pepper, then rolling it up. Now why have I thought of that? Its a fast day today and I could eat 6 of those right now, wait a minute, I can't, no soft cheese. Yay! saved by being too far from the shops for cream cheese to be an option.
The bread manufacturers Im sure really dont like "the 5-2 crowd" :-)
I'm pleased to report I'm down to one sourdough per month (between two of us). In between its coconut wraps and home made paleo bread
I started baking bread at the end of last year and stopped buying it. We even stopped eating bread at one point. But I started buying it again when we had family to stay all summer, I couldn't keep up. Now it's turn colder I've not baked any for about 2 weeks (just takes so long to rise). I just realized we've had 3 supermarket loafs this week. Thanks for this thread, It's reminded me that I don't want us eating the plastic bread. I'm not going to buy anymore. My bread is so much nicer too. I just wish I had one of those supermarket slicers :)
Dee

@rawkaren What are coconut wraps? Are they homemade?
justdee wrote: I started baking bread at the end of last year and stopped buying it. We even stopped eating bread at one point. But I started buying it again when we had family to stay all summer, I couldn't keep up. Now it's turn colder I've not baked any for about 2 weeks (just takes so long to rise). I just realized we've had 3 supermarket loafs this week. Thanks for this thread, It's reminded me that I don't want us eating the plastic bread. I'm not going to buy anymore. My bread is so much nicer too. I just wish I had one of those supermarket slicers :)
Dee

@rawkaren What are coconut wraps? Are they homemade?

@justdee. They are wraps made from dehydrated young coconut meat http://www.rawliving.eu/catalogsearch/r ... onut+wraps. I normally buy them from here, but they seem to have been out of stock for a while. You can buy them alot easier if you are in the USA.
I’ve baked our bread for a few years, the only difference now is that two days a week I don’t eat it. Experience tells me sourdough is better for my digestion than yeast based breads.

On normal days my lunch is no longer a sandwich, but one slice with a salad - cheese, ham or what’s around.

I’d be truly grateful if someone, or many of you, could explain why bread has been a downfall for you. What’s wrong with the stuff? Or is it a question of eating too much of it and that applies to anything.

justdee, yes rising times are sometimes difficult to deal with but you can get away with just one rise. Or, I use an overnight recipe which is basically all of the water, yeast and salt with half the flour. Mix, leave covered overnight, add rest of the flour in the morning, shape, let it rise and bake. Or, do the first part first thing in the morning, leave all day and bake in the evening. I’m just off to start a mix now.
I think its our downfall because of its convenience. Its quick and simple to just slap something between two slices of bread for lunch, toast it for breakfast, or have a roll with soup. You could easily have a different filling or combination of fillings for every day of the month and not repeat yourself the entire month.
That plus the fact that wheat is actually addictive, one of the molecules in bread can get past the blood brain barrier and is just the right shape to fit into the receptors that heroin and morphine lock into. You basically get a mild euphoric hit when you eat it. After time you relate eating bread to the pleasure and sneakily, you are addicted.
Im pretty sure commercial breads have a dose of those NASTY TRANSFATS we talk about

see this thread on tranfats the-5-2-lab-f10/transfats-what-are-they-and-how-does-it-relate-to-our-wol-t9417.html
This article explains some reasons why shop bought bread can be problematic beyond the fact of its carb content: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... odanddrink
I've just bought a bread mix called Sukrin, which says on the packet that it is a sunflower and pumpkin seed mix and "1g carb per slice" and is wheat free. I will try it and see what it's like - anyone else ever tried it? It LOOKS like bread on the packet but what does that mean?! It says one slice (40g) contains 58cals,3.4g fat, 1.0g carbs, fibre 8.5g, protein 3.5g). Also 0.4g salt :-( which is nearly as bad as commercial bread. Oh well.....
22 posts Page 1 of 2