The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

35 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Hairy Dieters Cookbook
31 Oct 2013, 12:50
Reading these on a fast day..... :-P
31 Oct 2013, 13:15
The point is you can use most of them on fast days! I wasn't aware of the 2nd book so will definitely be hinting at it for christmas!
02 Nov 2013, 13:05
It sounds weird but I love the Hairy Bikers 'Mince and veg pie pie with tumbled spuds' in the second book. Its a lovely take on the traditional Shepards/ cottage pie. Its actually better than the one I used to do for the family, so its become a favourite.
The 'Chicken and ham tangle pie', 'Cajun Chicken' Medicterranean burgers (juicy and big) and Spanish style Chicken bake' from the first book are a use again favourites too. One that surprised me was their version of the cooked english breakfast, with balsamic tomatoes, yummy.

I cook for the whole family, even on fast days, which makes it awkward as one is a chef (so can be a bit of a food snob), the other is autistic (and won't try new foods), the third doesn't like too much chicken in a week and none of us really like fish. So the options on a fast day are restricted. The Hairy Dieters book helps me by giving the low calorie twist on 'normal' everyday foods that will satisfy us all, with all our quirks.
02 Nov 2013, 13:56
We love the Hairy bikers and we bought both books. Spanish chicken and the chicken and ham tangle pie are favourites from the first book, the chicken bake in the second book is fabulous too but we're still working our way through it.
02 Nov 2013, 13:59
I use it on feast days too so I can have large portions :lol: :lol:
02 Nov 2013, 15:09
Love it
Crispy chicken
Spanish chicken
Chilli and ginger salmon
Cottage pie
All regulars here. I gave the crispy chicken to French friends who came to dinner and was asked for the recipe they loved it so much!
04 Nov 2013, 13:08
Looks like I need to download the second book as some of the recipies recommended don't appear in the first one :wink:
04 Nov 2013, 14:01
Ok guys I have read lots about this and now think I'm going to get one of the books- also I'm obsessed with curry. If you were to recommend one of their books - which is the best for someone who works lots of hours and lives only with OH. I'm happy to do big batches of food that can be frozen at the weekend too
04 Nov 2013, 14:08
Excellent! Thank you for such an excellent tip. Have just bought both books for hubby for Christmas. He is the most difficult man to buy pressies for. We have "detoxed" for a month in January for the last 5 years, but I can't bring myself to do that again...and anyway, thanks to 5:2, I don't need to. Instead we can work through the recipes. Yum!!!
04 Nov 2013, 17:46
I am such a donkey sometimes (no disrespect to donkies, I love em :heart: )....

Wondering why I couldn't see the recipes from book one.... well thats because ol blondie here downloaded book two :lol:

Doh :oops:

Good job Amazon keeps a check and tells me which one I ordered :wink:
04 Nov 2013, 19:03
jmousey wrote: Ok guys I have read lots about this and now think I'm going to get one of the books- also I'm obsessed with curry. If you were to recommend one of their books - which is the best for someone who works lots of hours and lives only with OH. I'm happy to do big batches of food that can be frozen at the weekend too

I only have book two and there are five curries, PLUS other spicy dishes like Thai, Moroccan, etc. I only cook for two and curries taste nicer one day later :wink:
04 Nov 2013, 19:33
:grin: I was eyeing up those curry recipes and spicy dishes at lunch time (as I have the same book) :grin:

And I am fasting today :eat:

I love all the pictures, I am very much show me a pic, then the recipe !

Was looking for the chicken dishes recommended here and was puzzled as they weren't there !

Doesn't take much to puzzle me :geek: :smile: :wink:

Quite fancying the duck in lettuce leaves from book 2. Gordon Ramsay does mince pork/beef in lettuce leaves with chilli and dipping sauce, its fab :like:
04 Nov 2013, 21:35
Minigill wrote: :grin: I was eyeing up those curry recipes and spicy dishes at lunch time (as I have the same book) :grin:

And I am fasting today :eat:

I love all the pictures, I am very much show me a pic, then the recipe !

Was looking for the chicken dishes recommended here and was puzzled as they weren't there !

Doesn't take much to puzzle me :geek: :smile: :wink:

Quite fancying the duck in lettuce leaves from book 2. Gordon Ramsay does mince pork/beef in lettuce leaves with chilli and dipping sauce, its fab :like:

Chicken tagine. Gorgeous :heart:
05 Nov 2013, 07:53
Can't wait to try the currys and crispy chicken next week. In regards to the crispy chicken- I usually use thigh fillets all the time as I find breast fillets dry out. For those of you who have cooked it is the breast still moist or dry? Actually it reminds me or a recipe I saw on Oprah a hundred years ago recreating a healthy-ish southern ( non) fried chicken. You skin some chicken drumsticks then dip in natural yoghurt then coat in fresh breadcrumbs. Bake for 1 hour turning every 20 minutes. Seriously yum and tasted naughty but is not. The bone juices do their yummy thing to make it really tasty. Thanks for your replies everyone.
Xxx Im very happy because a perfect job for next year fell in my lap yesterday and I accepted today. Yay xx Julianna
05 Nov 2013, 08:27
Well done on the perfect job Julianna :)

New outfit(s) as well ? :wink:
35 posts Page 2 of 3