The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

35 posts Page 1 of 3
Hairy Dieters Cookbook
31 Oct 2013, 00:39
Hi everyone,
I finally just bought the Hairy Dieter's Cookbook after hearing a lot of you mention it on the forum. It looks great and I'm excited to start. What's your favourite dinner dish that you love? They look like nice chaps. Do they cook on telly and is there any way i could watch it do you think?
Thanks,
Julianna
Re: Hairy Dieters Cookbook
31 Oct 2013, 02:38
It's my favourite cookbook Julianna, and the rest of the family love the recipes too. I think my top favourite is Jalfrezi chicken (with couscous) but we have the Easy Crispy Chicken often too. Enjoy discovering your favourites!
31 Oct 2013, 08:55
I have it and I like it a lot but I've barely cooked from it, unfortunately, as I'm only cooking for one and most of the recipes are for four. There's a couple of one-person omelette ideas I tried and some of the two-person recipes can be halved without too much trouble but the ones I'd really like to give a go are just too big and not always freezable in portions.
31 Oct 2013, 09:25
I love the Hairy Dieters books (have both of them!) I like the curries and they freeze well. Which book do you have? I even said that the only reason I find 4:3 easy is because I eat 'properly' on the evenings, nothing better than ending a fast day with a curry!

Let us know what book you have and I'll tell you which recipes I use the most :smile:
31 Oct 2013, 09:36
@julieathome is a fan as well - am sure she will be along to tell you her faves ...

I tried the spanish chicken and it was fab

And they do have a website http://www.hairybikers.com/
31 Oct 2013, 09:40
I'm a bit "cheffy", (so was hoping not to like it), but I have been pleasantly surprised by some of these dishes. I have the second book "eat for life". The chicken tagine is one of the nicest one pot meals I have cooked in a very long time. The fat free, sugar free tea loaf is wonderful but I need to try it with coconut flour as I get wheat belly.

Watch the calorie count though. I always check on MFP, and frequently the count comes out higher than the book.

On telly, the only series I enjoyed was Bakeation. Some of the countries they visited on their bikes in Europe to understand their baking culture was actually quite interesting and they went to places in Eastern Europe too, so a bit different from the usual suspects.
31 Oct 2013, 10:30
I only have the first book so far (Christmas is coming though)my favourites are Spanish Chicken, the Roast Fish in parma ham, and the Bulgar Wheat salad. All of which have been used a lot with various tweaks and modifications.
31 Oct 2013, 10:31
Thanks everyone. Great tips. @Chickvic, I believe I have the first one but I'm not sure. Its titled 'the Hairy Dieters' how to love food and lose weight. Printed in 2012.
Xx julianna
31 Oct 2013, 10:45
Yes that's the first one J
31 Oct 2013, 11:31
The recipes we use most are:

Spanish Chicken
Sweet & Sour chicken
Chicken jalfrezi
Chicken and mushroom risotto
Lamb and spinach curry

Using chicken obviously saves a lot of calories - lol! All really tasty and the sweet and sour, chicken jalfrezi and lamb curry all freeze really well. As only the 2 of us do this we freeze the other portions for another day although I do sometimes have it for lunch the day after :wink:
31 Oct 2013, 12:30
Chickvic wrote: The recipes we use most are:

Spanish Chicken
Sweet & Sour chicken
Chicken jalfrezi
Chicken and mushroom risotto
Lamb and spinach curry

Using chicken obviously saves a lot of calories - lol! All really tasty and the sweet and sour, chicken jalfrezi and lamb curry all freeze really well. As only the 2 of us do this we freeze the other portions for another day although I do sometimes have it for lunch the day after :wink:

Hi Vicki

Which book are these from ? Page open ready on Amazon.... :smile:
31 Oct 2013, 12:35
Spanish chicken - 43
Sweet and sour - 122
chicken jalfrezi - 131
chicken risotto - 145
lamb curry - 128

The second book has loads of great recipes too :wink:

Edited to add these are from the first book ( I have pages marked with sticky notes!)
31 Oct 2013, 12:35
http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/celebrity-c ... 1407239866

Don't know how much it is on Amazon but I've just bought it from The Works for £7.99 and there's a 20% off discount code too! Bargain! :wink:
31 Oct 2013, 12:40
£7.00 on Amazon, bit less for Kindle. For those that prefer a paperback copy :)

Just managed to open the link for The Works :) Now do I get both books ..... :grin:
31 Oct 2013, 12:47
Second book recipes we like:

creamy haddock and broccoli bake
baked fish and chorizo
pork shnitzel (we don't use lemon- found it was too overpowering)
Pan haggerty
Mince and veg pie
Spicy pork and rice
Beef stroganoff
egg fried rice
doner kebab
beef madras

we love these!
35 posts Page 1 of 3