The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

26 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: How does hunger feel?
29 Aug 2013, 20:56
mariposa wrote: I just feel empty but find I'm not actually hungry anymore on fast days which I like to think is ketosis kicking in

Forgive my ignorance- what's ketosis?
29 Aug 2013, 21:29
Fat burning mode. I think (I'm not really sure) I read on here that when you lose fat you actually don't feel hungry. I like to think my lack of hunger on fast days means my body is shedding the fat! Even if that's not right I think the fact I think that will dissolve the buggers in some channelling positive thoughts type way!
Clearly I'm no scientist!
29 Aug 2013, 21:38
Yep, ketosis is when your body switches to burning fat stores for energy.

It's funny how little I feel hungry on fast days, I actually feel hungrier on feast days, but I think the reason is psychological, I know I won't eat till dinner on fast days so I put any hunger pangs to the back of my mind!
02 Sep 2013, 20:24
Does ketosis happen in just one fast day?

Today (a fast day) I have paid a bit more attention to my 'hunger' feelings. I still think 'uneasy' is the best way to describe it. I don't really recognize the waves. It is more a permanent feeling. I am still amazed how easy I can function with hardly any food. A big eye-opener!
02 Sep 2013, 20:41
Rasa wrote: Does ketosis happen in just one fast day?

It might do, especially if you keep off all carbs on the fast day and if you exercise. People vary a lot as to how easily they enter ketosis.
02 Sep 2013, 21:23
I very much like the idea that if you wish the fat away, it helps somehow.
Today I was really hungry in the morning as we were sat in a meeting for hours and I could smell lunch being cooked, but told myself my body was melting fat so got through it.
Also, several people commented on how much thinner I looked. That also helped.
02 Sep 2013, 23:24
Those are good motivators, fifipye. I must remember them.

I also think on this when I am colder than usual, remembering Dr. Mosley mentioning that is when the body is in emergency mode and of the fat that is being converted to glycerol.
03 Sep 2013, 06:02
The 'hollow stomage' feeling also helps! It gives a kind of slim feeling :wink:

@carorees Thanks for your answer! I also saw your more elaborate post in another topic. Interesting.
03 Sep 2013, 06:03
I think people definitely feel hunger in different ways. On a fast day if I get really hungry I say if it still hurts like this in half an hour I will just have a little something. Usually by the half hour it's totally subsided and I'm in control again I would say this happens about 3 times during a fast day around 1pm, 4pm and 8pm
03 Sep 2013, 06:30
Am I the only one who feels hunger in my throat as well as my stomach? Its hard to describe, but my throat even has its own hunger noise.
03 Sep 2013, 17:19
Throat hunger is mentioned a lot in connection with fasting.

I thought I had it for a while as I had a sensation of a lump in my throat, but I then decided it was actually a case of reflux irritating the larynx and I got a prescription for a proton-pump inhibitor (omeprazole) from the docs which cured the sensation after about 2 weeks of taking it!

Laryngopharyngeal reflux has been reported as being increased with fasting so it might be worth seeing if an antacid stops the sensation!
26 posts Page 2 of 2