The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

47 posts Page 2 of 4
At the last count Weight Watchers 6 times. Slimming World 8 times, maybe more. Calorie counted 3 times. Low carb once, but only because of gluten sensitivity.
I never did anything 'radical' until 5:2 and like many others I wish I had done this many years ago before I spent so much money.
Oh yes, Karen I'd forgotten about the Hay diet. I tried that and was encouraged to learn that Sir John Mills used to live in it...and kept the same trouser size he has in his youth. However, it was too fiddly for me. No, 5:2 is straightforward. I think I'll stick with this WOL :bugeyes:
I spent the last 15 years yo-yo'ing with Slimming World. I lost 2-3 stone about three times over the course of those years by eating loads of carbs and hardly any protein ("green" days) I now realise that all I was doing was literally feeding my carb addiction and not learning anything about portion control. THIS was the year I finally looked at my eating habits, cut the carbs, the calories AND the portion size.....
Thanks @callyanna, I'm happy to lose it slow and I think I've got the hang of the highs and lows. I'm a faster for life now, it's what my body wants. I've never been on any eating plan that didn't totally take over my life, until I found 5:2. :) For the first time in my life I'm losing weight without stressing, feeling guilty and/or counting something. If I want to eat it, I do, just not on mondays and fridays. The great thing is I don't want to eat as much. LOVE 5:2 :heart: :heart:
Dee
Remember Ayds? Various flavoured caramel squares to be eaten before a meal. An appetite suppressant. Ha! I could eat half the box and then my meal. There was also PLJ (Pure Lemon Juice) similar thing but I didn't try that.

I always counted calories and bought into Rosemary Conley's 5% fat rule. Actually it did work a couple of times but I always ended up putting on more weight. For the last 10 years every time I lost a couple of pounds I'd treat myself for being good and ended up putting on 2.5ilbs. I did go to Slimming World once, signed up -and like Julie? - won the raffle, chocolate Weetabix! I did intend to go back, but never did.

No, 5:2 is the only real way for me.
I'd forgotten the Hay Diet too. I've still got one of his books.

In my late teens the 'bread diet' was popular in Holland; one day only dark bread, high with fibre, and only water to drink, and next day all you wished for. I tried to eat as few slices as possible so didn't last long.

About 10 years ago in Australia the CSIRO diet became popular. High protein (mainly red meat), lots of vegetables and low carbs. Great recipes, easy to fit around family life. I was successful like many others but doing it every day was hard to sustain.

So this is my fourth and by far the most sustainable.
Oh yes, I tried Ayds! If I was the size now that I was when I thought I needed to use them, I'd be really happy.

Since them I tried the F plan, RC's hip and thigh diet, Atkins and good old calorie counting.
AnnieW wrote: Remember Ayds? Various flavoured caramel squares to be eaten before a meal. An appetite suppressant. Ha! I could eat half the box and then my meal. There was also PLJ (Pure Lemon Juice) similar thing but I didn't try that.

I always counted calories and bought into Rosemary Conley's 5% fat rule. Actually it did work a couple of times but I always ended up putting on more weight. For the last 10 years every time I lost a couple of pounds I'd treat myself for being good and ended up putting on 2.5ilbs. I did go to Slimming World once, signed up -and like Julie? - won the raffle, chocolate Weetabix! I did intend to go back, but never did.

No, 5:2 is the only real way for me.

Annie how could i have forgotten Ayds..deffo could eat at least half the box including the cardboard and still have a square meal afterwards...was cheaper just to go and buy a bag of caramels for all the use Ayds were..and i think good old Rosemary put the fat down to 3% in the end..that reminds me i did her " Something something Jeans " Diet? GI jeans diet?
And its me who was the fellow raffle winner! :grin:
Could have cut the atmosphere with a knife when a newbie won the raffle :lol: :lol: :lol:
I strolled out with £12 and probably spent it in the chippy or off licence! I never returned to that particular SW
Another Sw class i went to a few times,the instructor had put back on all the weight she lost...excuse me? Arent the leaders supposed to be our role models? :confused:
And yep drank PLJ every morning ..xx
I heard on the radio that the CSIRO are bringing out a new diet based on the latest scientific research blah blah blah. Guess what? Its shakes twice a day then real food at night. I couldn't believe it. I feel so sorry for all those people who will do it and have a horrible unsustainable WOL then what happens when they reach their target- drink shakes for the rest of their life? Of course not- so back on all the weight will go. Sad.
I am a WW on and off for 26 years and a bit of liteneasy thrown in.
@CandiceMarie you are hilarious, I had tears rolling down my face as I read your post. :lol:
Xxx yay 5:2! :victory:
Xxx julianna
carorees wrote: Oh yes, I tried Ayds! If I was the size now that I was when I thought I needed to use them, I'd be really happy.

Since them I tried the F plan, RC's hip and thigh diet, Atkins and good old calorie counting.

:oops: Mm yes, and I can remember only too well the 'F' word my husband gave to those recipes by Audrey Eyton ! Thankfully now gone with the wind! :lol: :oops:
callyanna wrote: My gran who had type 1 diabetes used to eat those Energen rolls. Can picture the big box they came in now, they tasted like cotton wool as far as I can remember.

Well, she was ahead of her time as according to the 'daily mail/fail/Snail/whale/trail/grail/hail/jail/male/pale/rail/sale/sail/tale/wail etc eating cotton wool balls is the latest diet craze.................I think 'craze' is the operative word here

Ballerina x :heart:
Hi, I am very new to 5:2, having started just over a week ago. I am in my 60's and have probably tried that many diets *eek*. I have done Weight Watchers many times (in fact I made Life Membership there), Herbalife, Nature's Way, Jenny Craig, Atkins, Slimming pills (cant remember the name but I remember the heart palpitations they gave me), Dr Timms, High Protein Low carb, and probably many more. I lost weight on all of them but regained it as soon as I lost motivation and went back to old bad habits. I like WW but get tired of the points counting after a while. I am hoping the 5:2 way of eating will be the last one I will be doing:)
I added some more to my original post this morning after looking at my bookshelf. The one I can't believe I forgot about was the lemon and maple syrup cleanse. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Very interesting topic! I think some of you should write a book about your experiences :)
Has anyone mentioned the Israeli Army Diet - awful!
I had forgotten how many diets I had tried til I read everyone else's lists!! I can't think of any more that others have not mentioned, tho.
Most my fad dieting was done when I was much younger - once I was in stable relationships generally my weight was more stable too and I didn't bother with dieting, especially as my partners did not see my weight as an issue and I was only a bit overweight I guess.
The only way I have lost weight since the fad diets, prior to 5:2, was through extreme stress and extreme exercise - of course, once those situations stopped the weight just piled back on!!
Thank goodness for 5:2!
Most of the above! Im not familiar with Slimming World, I dont think we have that in NZ. Yep, did the Irsaeli army diet, and anyone else do the Scarsdale? And the Mayo Clinic diet? All of those + WW for a few months every year, although did do quite well on that at one stage. Was still the biggest I had ever been when I stated this WOE, and am now the lightest Ive been in at least 10 years.
Arent we all doing well!
47 posts Page 2 of 4