The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

39 posts Page 1 of 3
"I Quit Sugar"
13 Sep 2013, 05:11
I am a committed 5:2 faster. Now my daughter has read I QUIT SUGAR by Sarah Wilson and has me on the programme. Is there anyone else out there in Fast Land that is doing both?
:bugeyes:
Re: "I Quit Sugar"
13 Sep 2013, 05:51
Yes me. I have managed four weeks until last night when I was so hungry I ate a sandwich on the train and I could taste the sugar in the bread. It was disgusting. My OH inspired me as he lost 10lbs in less than a month when he started so I decided to join him. I have not read the book though so open to tips! I'm finding it quite easy to stick to now I'm in the groove but it gets challenging when you are on the move or eating out as it seems to be in just about everything. I'm chucking the kitchen sink into this 5:2/16:8 and no sugar. I have not quit the booze yet though, but have really cut back. I'm interested to know what you are eating Lynnieannie. I'm keeping it simple with fish, meat, eggs veggies and fruit and keeping away from too many starchy veggies and sweet fruits and they seem more like treats! I ate some sweet fresh black figs the other day and they tasted wonderful!
13 Sep 2013, 06:14
Hi

I have been low sugar since 2011 when I started my weightloss journey. You can see what its done for me on my progress/diary page, all good stuff in terms of inner health and weight loss.
I only eat a few berries whilst I still have weight to lose. Keep off Low fat food they are full of sugar. Eat natural full fat food, watch your portion sizes. Have a little treat occasionally, I like chilli chocolate but only have a couple of squares. I do still drink Alcohol at weekends :razz: , Dry wines, mainly reds, Lager, and Vodka splash of lime with soda. If I do buy anything in I look at the label and go for stuff that has less than 5 grams of sugar if possible.

Good Luck :clover:

Chris x
13 Sep 2013, 06:39
I forgot to add, have your bloods done at the outset. I wish that I had. If you are in UK Sainburys and some of the large chemist chains do health checks for a small charge, if your medical centre will not offer the service.
Chris x
13 Sep 2013, 06:48
Very helpful Chris. Thank you. I must add, since eating that horrid sandwich last night, this morning, I'm the hungriest I have been in the entire last four weeks and my stomach is growling angrily. I'm mad with myself and East Coast rail!
13 Sep 2013, 06:57
I've been doing 5:2 since January but recently I read 'Fat Chance - the bitter truth about sugar' by Robert Lustig (there is another thread about sugar and how toxic it is for you.) Since reading this, I have looked at all the labels on food and also find that anything labelled low fat or 'light' etc. is really heavy on the sugar! I now take the full fat version but limit the portion size.
It has also meant that I cook a lot from scratch, as anything processed seems to contain loads of sugar (even things like tomato ketchup!), and at least I know that when I add some sugar I can control the amount! It is hard though, as fruit contains sugar so I now limit my intake of fruit to mainly berries, although Robert Lustig states that you can eat most fruits limitlessly.
Anyway, having cut down my sugar intake, I do feel so much better and I'm still losing weight.
13 Sep 2013, 07:01
Sarah Wilson is a nutjob. She "quit sugar" but still eats fruit? What does she think fructose is? Not to mention the fact that it makes no sense whatsoever to cut out one particular food entirely. To quote from this article: "It's not crack. Just food." http://www.mamamia.com.au/health-wellbe ... uit-sugar/
13 Sep 2013, 07:39
I haven't read this book but I have read quite a lot about the effects of sugar on the body,and I believe that overloading on sugar causes harm. You can't eliminate all sugar from your diet, you can stop eating processed food and if you wish to lose weight choose low sugar natural foods. A GI Chart will point you in the right direction. I am not prepared to get into a debate on this, we have been there before. The proof is in the pudding. I know that my body thanks me for embracing this way of eating. Low sugar and Intermittent fasting is the way for me.
13 Sep 2013, 07:41
Totally agree with you chriso57. It's the way I do 5:2 too
13 Sep 2013, 08:10
I won't quit sugar as it is impossible anyway. Maybe you can quit refined sugar but, even that, it's difficult and I don't even think about my social life if I did quit sugar...

For those who want to quit sugar but still drink, there is sugar in alcohol, a lot of it may I say so if you want to stick to it, you should quit drinking as well....

One shouldn't quit a food category but use it with moderation. I believe it's the key. It's my key anyway. I don't believe it would be a life to quit chocolate. Imagine at Christmas, for exemple.You are with your family but you don't eat this or that because there's sugar on it ? You don't participate and so isolate yourself ? I couldn't. But it's just my opinion.

Also keep in mind that if you do quit sugar it's forever or you will put the pounds back on as soon as you will eat just a little of it. Are you sure you are ready for a commitment this big ?
13 Sep 2013, 08:14
chriso57 wrote: ... I am not prepared to get into a debate on this, we have been there before. The proof is in the pudding. ...

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realise you weren't looking for opinions unless they align with your own "toxic sugar" theory. I mistook this for a forum. :confused:
13 Sep 2013, 08:43
I have got to an age where I'm not puritanical or extreme anymore on excluding things completely which is why I still eat all fruit and the occasional glass of wine even though that is tantamount to sugar in liquid form. However the main benefit I have found is that my mood has improved immeasurably!
13 Sep 2013, 08:49
I'm with you Chriso57 - sensible avoidance of sugar in processed foods and not adding sugar to drinks/sauces etc. High-cocoa chocolate is OK, I still eat baked beans but prefer sugar to sweeteners. No sugar in alcohol but fructose and alcohol both seem to have the same effect on your liver. Some alcoholic drinks are sugary as well but dry wines and spirits are OK in my book, just not to excess!
I'm struggling to maintain weight at the moment, however, partially because I don't want to eat cake/biscuits and other sugary treats (except cheesecake!) just to get extra calories - and I'm eating 3 meals a day with no fasting...
13 Sep 2013, 08:55
All is in moderation. I don't eat sugar during the week (and I only drink water and black tea and coffee) but it's not because I don't want to, just because I don't have the occasion.

On the other hand, during the weekend I have fruits, chocolate, even pudding and pasta because I love pasta, and one or 2 glasses of wine. All in small quantities. I feel better than before, that's true, and I think it's because I don't "binge" on it anymore and, as my taste changed these past months, I only need a small quantity. Now, a simple square of chocolate can be the most delicious thing in the world and I won't need another one, that's the big change.
13 Sep 2013, 09:27
Tara25 wrote: Sarah Wilson is a nutjob. She "quit sugar" but still eats fruit? What does she think fructose is? Not to mention the fact that it makes no sense whatsoever to cut out one particular food entirely. To quote from this article: "It's not crack. Just food." http://www.mamamia.com.au/health-wellbe ... uit-sugar/

Why doesn't it make sense to cut out one particular food entirely?
39 posts Page 1 of 3