The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

49 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: Oh, why do I eat bread!
05 Aug 2013, 08:52
I find exactly the same thing - if I don't eat bread for a while it gives me a lot of discomfort when I do eat it. I have found making bread from spelt flour helpful in the past, and the flour I used to use always had a recipe for "roman army bread" on the back which was extremely simple to make and didn't use yeast. Delicious too!
05 Aug 2013, 21:18
Well thanks everyone for your input and its encouraging to know that I am not alone. now does anyone know how to make sourdough starter?
05 Aug 2013, 21:23
Hi Clairemarie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sourd ... rter_22976

The BBC food site is very good so am sure this will be fine :smile:
05 Aug 2013, 21:44
Because it's yummy? ;-)

Kidding aside, it is not ANY bread that will make you feel bloated. It's the industrial bread that is full of additives and chemicals which make bread all fluffy and perfect. Try bread from a traditional bakery or from your own hands and oven (use flour of good quality, not that fake supermarket white dust) and you will be pleasantly surprised. :-)
05 Aug 2013, 22:27
I do not like bread which is terrible since Norway is a bread and milk country. So during this boring extended annual leave I have made a sourdough starter that I have baked my first sourdough bread that is approved by main bread eater ie the husband. I read a lot of good reason why homemade sourdough bread is good for us. I ate a piece and so far so good. Bread makes me bloat and gas and what not. My asian genes not like wheat.....
06 Aug 2013, 00:04
Aina, why is your annual leave boring? How long is it? In America we have only short vacations and many people don't take them for fear of falling behind.
06 Aug 2013, 07:45
clairemarie wrote: Well thanks everyone for your input and its encouraging to know that I am not alone. now does anyone know how to make sourdough starter?

Unfortunatlely, we're staying with family at the moment and typing on an iPad ain't for me, but Hugh Fernley Whittingstall, Paul Hollywood, Dan Lepard all do them. Look up Sanfransico one, I'm sure you can get that posted.

Forget being told it needs daily feeding. Mine's sitting happily in the fridge and will revive in a couple of weeks.

Have fun. :like:
06 Aug 2013, 08:22
I had a go a making one but it was foul. So I bought a San Francisco sachet from Bakery Bits & it's alive & kicking. Works too & is resilient.
06 Aug 2013, 08:32
I make my own sourdough starter from wild yeast. It's really easy and fun. Lots of recipes out there, but I find pineapple juice really works much better.
06 Aug 2013, 10:15
Sourdough needs feeding only on the first three days of making. It can then stay alive for 10-15 days. We might keep it in the fridge nowadays but in the times before electricity they kept it in a terracotta bowl covered in flour. This made the sourdough dry so they had to put it in lukewarm water for a while to make it soft again.

Mind you, it is not the sourdough that makes bread of better quality. If we use bad quality of yeast to make the sourdough, then we will have bad quality bread. It is very important to use good quality of yeast.

Also, we can make quick sourdough everytime we want to make bread. All we have to do is form a thick batter with yeast, lukewarm water, flour and sugar. Place it in a bowl, cover it with clingfilm and let it develop for about an hour.

For those who make bread everyday, or every other day, sourdough is just a piece of last time's dough. Right before you are ready to place it in the oven, cut a piece the size of your fist, place it in the fridge and use it is sourdough next time you make bread. This is the best way to make tasty bread, far better than having sourdough resting in your fridge.
06 Aug 2013, 10:16
BTW, has anybody heard of "wild sourdough"?
06 Aug 2013, 10:37
Snagging!
06 Aug 2013, 11:01
Not my intention. I was just wondering if it's something global or just Greek. I will happily share the recipe, assuming it is of anybody's interest! :-)
06 Aug 2013, 11:10
If you're near a Whole Foods Market, their sourdough is very decent and doesn't seem to have the after effects.
06 Aug 2013, 11:16
clairemarie wrote: Aina, why is your annual leave boring? How long is it? In America we have only short vacations and many people don't take them for fear of falling behind.

My company has 25 days paid vacation each year that you have to use. They make you take it even if you dont want to :bugeyes: I was suppose to have 10 days leave (plus 2 weekends) but I was put on sick leave from a Thursday and the whole of the week after that. So in total I have 3+ weeks of vacation and has done all the house cleaning, hiking, boat trips and cooking that I want to and I have one more week to go.

So far I have made the sourdough starter and made from it so far:
a loaf of bread
English muffins
cinnamon rolls
pizza dough

Other then that, I have made tempeh. An Indonesian vegetarian fermented soyabean thing.

I will probably make my own soya milk and egg tofu. A nice way to avoid carbs and eat my favourite foods.
49 posts Page 2 of 4