The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

25 posts Page 1 of 2
Question from a silly Moo...
02 Mar 2014, 17:47
What do folk think ..
I have eagerly embraced going full fat....full fat will hopefully help keep skin plumper and bones stronger..
I weigh out 10 g butter a day,about 80 cals i think,BUT - i have A BUT about BUTter..
Has anyone noticed ( have tried a few brands)that butter no longer seems to be the creamy delicious stuff i used to enjoy..it has a very greasy feel,doesn't taste as nice as i seem to remember, and even has quite an odd texture when i cut it straight from the fridge? Chips into bits instead of into ..well, pieces..
Can anyone recommend a good brand to use? I' ve read we should eat " grassfed" but no idea as havent seen any packs of butter boasting its from grass fed cows. :?: or am i just a daft Moo
Is butter acceptable as full fat? I thought that meant olive oil, coconut oil etc. I am a butter lover too and I find nothing tastes like it used to including meat. You can make your own butter by whizzing cream in blender then squeezing out the water then add a speck of salt.
We eat Kerrygold. Have tried a few and that got the most thumbs up from everyone in the family. I don't like unsalted and I think Kerrygold does mention grassfed cows (but who knows how true this is!).
I love butter and I never abandoned it even when the government told me I would drop dead if I ate another portion of the toxic substance. I can't say that I have noticed a change but these days I only buy M&S Normandy butter with sea salt crystals, fabulous. As hubs has a progressive kidney disease I get their luxury brand of unsalted butter, I would normally rather eat razor blades than unsalted butter but this one is fantastic, VERY creamy but twice the normal price, ouch :shock:

Ballerina x :heart:
Try President butter Candice, delicious and french :-) xxx
Like Loulou51 I understand Kerrygold is from grass fed cows and I wonder about why your butter would crumble CD, not good. The better quality ones are not much dearer than the cheap ones, about 10 or 20 p at most so buy the best you can and ENJOY! And as Angie says, president French butter is quite yummy! yum! yum

Ballerina x :heart:
All this talk of butter makes me want to buy some scali bread.
I' ll try the M n S and the President..thanks @Ballerina and@angie090465
I don't mind paying more if i can get that childhood taste of goodness back!
Anchor and CountryLife are the ones i've tried so far..i recall one from years ago called Friary from the Co op..wish that was still available,it was delish.
@clairemarie think we must be cousins - Claire and Candy! :lol: :grin: Think a little butter is acceptable alongside olive oil etc..will never eat low fat spreads/ margarines again after reading ( was it here) that its actually grey in colour,just made to look a more palatable yellow.
Makes me want to throw up :confused: PS all this talk of butter means i am gonna have tea n toast watching Call the Midwife!
@clairemarie what's scali bread...like the sound of it already :razz:
And pps..i wonder if i have my fridge too cold and thats why it chips rather than cuts..need to turn it down a bit praps...
I'm another one who loves the grass fed Kerrygold. I went full fat when I started this way of life. You need to get the right balance or you could put weight on but full fat does mean feeling fuller. My latest is berries, full fat greek yogurt, a wee splash of double cream and a teaspoon of flaxseeds. I can have that for lunch and be stuffed until dinner time.
Here you go, I have only just started buying butter in the last few weeks, I reached for Lurpak as that is what we had when kids, but it's greasy :shock: - Neal's Yard Dairy recommends Netherend Farm butter, Keen's, Denhay, and Berkley butter. After years of decline, artisan butter makers started to reappear all across Europe, and with them, sour-cream butter returned. In the UK, Wardhall Dairy in Cumbria now sells its cultured butter online, as does Ivy House Dairy Farm in Somerset. I'm definitely going to try some of these.
I usually buy Yeo valley organic. I've not noticed the chipping effect...I think it must be the fridge being too cold surely?
Dear Cousin Candy, those soft spreads/margarine are chemical experiments for sure. Margarine alias oleo came into popular consumption during WW11 due to rationing. If you can find grandma's recipe book you probably won't see the word margarine. Scali bread is an Italian bread with sesame seeds baked on top...so good.
Call The Midwives? What season are you in? Love the show two seasons aired here in US but nothing recent. Maybe, in the spring I hope. I also like Doc Martin.
We are up to episode seven,season three @clairemarie CousinClaire !
Ive got to try that bread,sounds yummy :razz:
25 posts Page 1 of 2