The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Question to 16:8ers
03 Dec 2013, 16:31
Are you rigid in sticking to the eight hours you choose to eat or are they flexible?

What I mean is this. On my feasting days, I'm thinking of eating from noon till 20:00, which will be the eight hours.

Have you found it best to stick to one set schedule or just eat whenever, as long as you begin the eight hour window with that first bite? :bugeyes:

What has worked best for you? :?: Am I making this too complicated? I tend to do that. :oops:

Thank you,

Bob
Re: Question to 16:8ers
03 Dec 2013, 16:37
It's funny but I'm 16.8ing everyday theses days. I eat from 12 or 1 depending what I'm doing. But I very rarely eat after 8pm anyway, maybe at weekend if I fancy a bit of chocolate which is a non fast day anyway. Lunch during the week is usually at work ,so a mug of homemade soup, fruit, yoghurt, or sometimes a sandwich. Lunch at weekends I treat myself to poached or scrambled eggs on toast.
03 Dec 2013, 16:49
I've been eating in a 16:8 pattern for years, even before I was aware of fasting or this WOE so it's perfectly natural for me not to eat breakfast but to have several cups of tea/ coffee during the morning. I then eat lunch at around 12.30, maybe an open sandwich with protein and salad, soup, omelette or something fairy light. If I feel hungry mid afternoon I'll have some fruit, a yogurt, scone, cake even then an evening meal with plenty of veg, protein and small carb portion. I have always been very much of an evening eater so I do like a snack at around 9 pm with a drink so my 'eating window' may be slightly over 8 hours, but then I fast again until lunch next day.
03 Dec 2013, 17:03
Thanks Carieoates and callyanna. It seems, from your two comments, that you just sort of fell into the eating time that was most convenient for you.

I'm fresh off a fasting day, it's 09:00 and I'm feeling a bit peckish. However, like you callyanna, I prefer to eat later in the evening and I don't want to start my 8 hour clock now. I guess I'll go exercise and keep myself busy until later.
03 Dec 2013, 17:08
Yes, that's a good idea Bob, I often exercise on an empty stomach and suffer no ill effects whatsoever!
03 Dec 2013, 17:11
Hi Bobby. I agree with the others that it is something you do drift into. I changed my routine a few weeks back to eat in the morning and at lunchtime during weekdays as it worked better with my training schedule. I don't normally 16:8 at weekends but when I do, I switch it around and eat later in the day mostly for social reasons.

I'm certainly used to only two meals a day these days with maybe just a small snack. I feel like I have overdone it if I have three 'normal' meals.
03 Dec 2013, 17:33
Hi Bob,

I'm another natural 16/8er, it just was how I realised I like to eat. It makes no difference when you open your window as long as you close it approximately 8 hours later. Like the others have said, it depends on what my day is likely to be like as to when I start eating, for instance, tomorrow will be a late lunch out with friends so it is unlikely I will start to eat much before 2 or even 3 p.m. And I would be surprised if I eat again before the following lunchtime giving me a good long fast. Hope this works for you, it does not suit everyone but if it suits you then it is heaven and SO easy,

Ballerina x :heart:
03 Dec 2013, 17:45
@rawkaren

what ever you are doing with your routine Karen is obviously working, you have changed so much :wink: you have now grown fur and resemble a cat :lol:

Will take me ages to get used to your new avator :smile:

I will try a few 16/8 over xmas :like:
03 Dec 2013, 18:18
Minigill wrote: @rawkaren

what ever you are doing with your routine Karen is obviously working, you have changed so much :wink: you have now grown fur and resemble a cat :lol:

Yes I have shrunk, always been hairy though. :lol: As you know I like hats and I think this one is quite cute. :like:
03 Dec 2013, 18:34
Hilarious ladies. Cats, hats or both?
03 Dec 2013, 19:05
Minigill wrote: @rawkaren

:lol: @rawkaren - I certainly liked the other avatar but cute and fluffy works too.
03 Dec 2013, 19:14
Reading this has reminded me of a work colleague who once told me she lost weight simply by never eating before noon (and yes, she was an early riser!) This was back in the mid-nineties, so well before IF. I thought it sounded a bit too good to be true, but perhaps she was onto something.
03 Dec 2013, 19:29
Yes lizzieh, I believe she was. However, I have am rarely hungry in the morning, so eating later has always been something I have done. My biggest foe has been eating late at night. Instead of going to bed, I'll peruse the pantry and fridge for something to munch on; even if I'm not hungry. I tried the "don't eat after 6:00pm" for a while, which worked but I am too undisciplined. If this self-imposed eight hour time limit keeps me from late night snacking, then all the better.
03 Dec 2013, 20:07
I moved to 16/8 for maintenance as I find it so easy and the hunger monster doesn't rise until late lunchtime (around 1330) and dinner is usually around 1900. I find it difficult to eat late in the evening although I usually have cocoa made with soya milk and mostly hot water around 2100.

So, yes, if you want to 16:8 don't over think, just count 8 hours from when you start, and like 5:2, you do the hours that suit you- they don't have to be the same every day.
03 Dec 2013, 21:01
I think it's best to concentrate on not eating outside the 8 hours and let the fasting take care of itself. some days you'll fast less than 16 hours but on others it will be longer.

However, the research that found a weak link between skipping breakfast and heart disease found a much stronger link between late night snacking and heart disease, so I'd recommend that you try to keep your 8 hour window closing reasonably early in the evening (say 4 hours before bedtime)
19 posts Page 1 of 2