The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

33 posts Page 1 of 3
Thoughts on Yoghurt
07 Feb 2014, 03:15
My better half now makes yoghurt.. not the cheat packet mixes with skim milk powder but with a culture from a special gourmet shop and with good whole fresh milk.

Anyway its great and its made yoghurt extremely economical

Anyway in the context of 5:2 and its variants, what do you think of yoghurt for a fast day. Is it better from a calcium intake point of view than say cheese or milk. I'm thinking its good for breaking a fast too as its gentle on the stomach

I only consume the non-flavoured variety so sugar isnt a problem. I used to eat bucket loads of the sweet natural varieties but i've weaned myself off them.

And i cant drink straight cow's milk, so yoghurt and my sweetened almond milk are my calcium sources in the dairy arena.

I love to mix it with fruit on my fast days as nothing more refreshing and low cal.

yoghurt-fruit.jpg
Re: Thoughts on Yoghurt
07 Feb 2014, 03:29
My son got me a yogurt maker for Christmas & my life has been transformed! We now make fresh yogurt each week w/organic whole milk & yo-baby vanilla or pear flavors as a starter. I do eat it on my fast days w/2 chopped walnut halves & 2 chopped dried apricots. Yum! I will never buy store bought yogurt again :)
07 Feb 2014, 03:30
Perfect! Sometimes I just have fruit and yoghurt, usually berries of some sort.
We make ours too, and just use two tablespoons from the previous batch to coninue the culture, that way you don't need to buy it very often. I like flavouring mine with vanilla extract. Full fat organic milk is my favourite, even better if you can buy it with the cream on top!

Whether you make it from scratch, or the packets, it is so much cheaper!
07 Feb 2014, 03:38
MLCDz wrote: I will never buy store bought yogurt again :)

Im the same. reckon im saving at least $10 a week just on that cause the culture we buy is very inexpensive.

Just finishing off some renovations in our kitchen after which OH tells me we can explore the art of cheese making. I buy 4 tubs of cottage cheese a week.

Love that kind of thing... do it yourself food prep

between yoghurt, cheese, bread, quail eggs, and sprouts and the occasional vegies i can definitely go bush.
07 Feb 2014, 03:41
Debs wrote: We make ours too, and just use two tablespoons from the previous batch to coninue the culture, that way you don't need to buy it very often. I like flavouring mine with vanilla extract. Full fat organic milk is my favourite, even better if you can buy it with the cream on top! !

i must try that one day. im nervous about that though.

I go back so long i remember milk in glass bottles being delivered.. with the cream on top!!!
07 Feb 2014, 03:44
Yoghurt in Japan is too watery. Some of my friends here discovered the secret of straining it, basically, to thicken it up. I'd make my own, but it's just me, so its hardly worth it. Maybe I should start a yoghurt club at work...
07 Feb 2014, 03:47
MaryAnn wrote: Yoghurt in Japan is too watery. Some of my friends here discovered the secret of straining it, basically, to thicken it up. I'd make my own, but it's just me, so its hardly worth it. Maybe I should start a yoghurt club at work...

But it lasts a while and you probably can consume the litre tub you get from most yoghurt makers over a week. I also use yoghurt to serve with curries, and sometimes when bake use yoghurt for cake making.
07 Feb 2014, 04:27
Love love life yoghurt, am in love with a very creamy Mediterranean one, no other one comes close. Serve with fruit and seeds my favourite break-the-fast yum. Never on a fast say though.
07 Feb 2014, 04:50
gillymary wrote: Love love life yoghurt, am in love with a very creamy Mediterranean one, no other one comes close. Serve with fruit and seeds my favourite break-the-fast yum. Never on a fast say though.

What's the brand?
07 Feb 2014, 05:25
I was given a bread proofer at Christmas and it also has recipes for yoghurt. I must get it out and try.
@Juliana.Rivers I've made a ricotta type cheese, it was really easy (once I figured out how to read the cheese thermometer properly). Really nice cheese too.
07 Feb 2014, 05:34
Black swan low fat, tell me what you think
07 Feb 2014, 05:37
One of the best Aussie Greek ones I have found is Farmer's Union, full fat and lowish sugar.Jalna Biodynamic European is lower but I don't particularly like set yoghurt.
I made cottage cheese for a while, easy and cheap as well! Oh and paneer for curries!
07 Feb 2014, 05:38
Love black swan gillymary, best yoghurt.
07 Feb 2014, 06:08
@Debs how did you make your cottage cheese
07 Feb 2014, 06:27
Wineoclock wrote: Love black swan gillymary, best yoghurt.

thats funny cause when i was buying yoghurt in the shops, it was the only one id ever get (might stoop to Farmers Union greek if i was desparate) but yes, Black swan is the best)
33 posts Page 1 of 3