Re: Thoughts on Yoghurt
07 Feb 2014, 07:13
Here is one I have used @gillymary

Ingredients:
1.2L low-fat milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt

Stove or oven method:

In a saucepan, heat the milk until it is very hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes.

Add lemon juice to the milk and gently stir. This will cause curds to form and a milky liquid which is called whey. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.

Pour through a strainer to catch the curds. Transfer the curds to a container and add salt. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Here is another though

In a large saucepan with a lid, slowly bring 1 gallon organic milk up to 120 degrees F. Remove from heat and pour in 1 cup white vinegar. Slowly stir until the curd and whey begin to separate, about 2-3 minutes. Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a colander with cheesecloth and pour the mixture through it. (Don’t discard the whey: it can be used to make homemade ricotta cheese!)

Gather the curd up in the cheesecloth and rinse under cold water, gently squeezing and moving the mixture under the running stream for about 3 minutes, or until it has completely cooled. Squeeze dry and transfer to a bowl. Use a fork to break into pieces (large curd or small curd, the choice is yours!). Add the salt and stir to combine.

Store the curd and 1/2 cup half-and-half separately, and combine just before serving. The curd will keep in the fridge for a week; if you don’t use it all by then, dry it overnight by placing it in cheesecloth over a bowl in the fridge. Then slice the dried curd and use as you would cheese curd.
07 Feb 2014, 07:53
I love plain yoghurt and eat it every day; I've done two fasts and just had about a third less than normal. Sometimes I make my own which is such a satisfying thing to do. Or I use goats milk to make the yoghurt then strain it to turn it into a soft goat cheese - :goat: :goat: :goat: yum!
07 Feb 2014, 07:56
This is the one I use @gillymary

simplicity itself!

Ingredients:
1.2L low-fat milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt

Stove or oven method:

In a saucepan, heat the milk until it is very hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes.

Add lemon juice to the milk and gently stir. This will cause curds to form and a milky liquid which is called whey. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.

Pour through a strainer to catch the curds. Transfer the curds to a container and add salt. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
07 Feb 2014, 09:01
I make my own labneh now that's a pretty cool way to have yoghurt and that's mixing 1 tspn good salt and full cream Greek style yoghurt pour this into already prepared muslin square in a bowl. You make a bag of the yoghurt and hang it to drain. I tie it to a chopstick and it is then suspended in a long jug to drain for 72 hours in fridge. Pour out the whey. Form the resultant cheese into balls with olive oiled hands. Lay balls into a wide necked squat jar cover in olive oil good quality which you have seasoned with some dried herbs fresh rosemary chilli flakes and a grated clove of garlic. Use it as a dip as a dollop or straight, it is heavenly. (Thanks to Charlotte Wood for this recipe in her book Hunger and Love)

Thank you @Debs I am onto it suggest you make the above and you will thank Charlotte too am sure
07 Feb 2014, 09:18
That sound beautiful and I certainly shall when I go home!
07 Feb 2014, 09:28
I do like Yeo Valley plain natural greek yogurt, just yummy over cut up banana, sprinkled with almond flakes and chopped Brazils :0)
07 Feb 2014, 09:51
There's no need for a yogurt maker. I make yogurt in a thermos flask. I buy a small pot of natural yogurt and use a teaspoon of that as the starter each time as I find that using a teaspoon of the preceding batch seems to end up being contaminated with other microorganisms and tasting not so nice.
07 Feb 2014, 10:15
Your goat's cheese sounds fantastic I can do it! how do you strain the yoghurt? Just through muslin?
That's odd carorees, I haven't had a contamination problem. I do change it every four or so yoghurts, but it always turns out ok.
07 Feb 2014, 10:40
Yes, about 4 batches sounds right to me. It doesn't get contaminated immediately (probably yeasts I reckon especially as I make my own bread!). I think keeping a starter culture (the store-bought yoghurt or just putting aside some home-made yoghurt) and not opening it every day as one does with the main batch helps to minimize contamination as the starter is not being exposed to the outside air very often.
07 Feb 2014, 10:45
My favourite is Chobani yoghurt.
08 Feb 2014, 01:46
Wineoclock wrote: Love black swan gillymary, best yoghurt.

@wineoclock, @gillymary.. is it possible to make this style in a yoghurt maker? Or that of the Farmer's union

in other words, do yoghurt makers only make "set yoghurt" or can you make the creamy ones by doing something to them?
08 Feb 2014, 05:45
I use quite a lot of natural unsweetened yoghurt- smoothies, in soups, as a side for Indian/Pakistani food.
I am very fortunate to be able to buy it in 2kg buckets for about 1.50GBP as it is widely used in the sandpit.
@gillymary your labneh recipe is spurring me on to make more use of it :) I've never even tried labneh! And I'm rather adventurous with food- oh, the shame!
08 Feb 2014, 07:20
You can actually get reasonably cheap buckets of it here too, but you need to go to the more ethnically diverse areas of Melbourne and Sydney. We went to Dandenong in Melbourne when we were home and realised how ripped off we were getting by the supermarkets when we saw the prices of the big buckets of fetta, yoghurt etc. in the shops around there :frown:
08 Feb 2014, 07:27
Wow! You're a a clever bunch aren't you. Making your own yoghurt? I guess its much more healthy.

As for fast days, I do often save a yoghurt for "afters" so after my M&S ready meal I'll have something else to look forward to :wink:

Is it easy to make? Sounds a bit faffy to me

Bean :bowl: :sidefrown:
08 Feb 2014, 07:51
nursebean wrote: Wow! You're a a clever bunch aren't you. Making your own yoghurt? I guess its much more healthy.

As for fast days, I do often save a yoghurt for "afters" so after my M&S ready meal I'll have something else to look forward to :wink:

Is it easy to make? Sounds a bit faffy to me

Bean :bowl: :sidefrown:

The one we make.. terribly easy. ready in around 24 hours. you dont have to have a yoghurt maker to do it either
33 posts Page 2 of 3