The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

29 posts Page 1 of 2
Time to say goodbye?
27 Dec 2016, 03:38
I've been very dismayed visiting the Forum lately. I know, the holidays aren't the best time for online participation, people are busy... but this isn't a recent development.

I've counted on this forum for support, and that's not happening now. The major downturn seems to date from the change in the site. I had some issues getting things to work properly, and wonder if some just got frustrated and didn't come back. Then the rehosting issue... thanks to Moogie for keeping the site, but I'm wondering how much longer it'll be viable at this rate.

Is there any way we could email blast members, ask why they've dropped off, invite them back, offer to help with online glitches? Hate to just give up on this community, you're all great!
Re: Time to say goodbye?
27 Dec 2016, 09:57
Hi @Ferretgal

It has been very quiet here, and many of the regulars seem to have dropped away. A mail out sounds a good idea - I wonder if that can be done?
Next week things might pick up with all those who want to set a goal for the New Year. I agree that this forum has given so much support to so many. I read it regularly but don't often post, possibly like many others. Us lurkers need to become more active :lol:

cheers
27 Dec 2016, 11:45
Maybe we need something to get people to participate more. Maybe a weekly challenge, where people try to work on something just for that week and post how it goes. Or a "getting to know you" QOTD or something. I think if you've been here a while, you've gotten most of the information you need, so if you aren't fasting that week, there's just not that much to post!
27 Dec 2016, 11:46
But I also think it will pick up again next week. I do hope someone will do a new challenge, I don't have the time to do it, but I will join one!
27 Dec 2016, 20:22
I think things have been gradually getting quieter in the forum for a while - when I came back after a break of several months, there was a lot less discussion happening, and correspondingly many fewer active members.

I think we have had threads that have discussed the reasons for this. I feel it is a lot to do with 5:2 not being a novelty anymore. I understand the BSD forum is much more active - whatever is the latest "fad" (sorry) will tend to get the attention, until that becomes old hat.

Presumably people are not participating because they feel there is (relatively) little benefit for them in doing so, and that their time is better spent on other things.

If we want the forum to continue, we each need to think about what we really want from the forum, and what we can offer. I think the main reason I decided to become active again, is to be part of a(nother) community that offers social interaction.

I would like more discussion on what works and doesn't work when trying to establish healthy food management strategies, rather than so much focus on the actual weight and small gains and losses. And a bit of debate to make things interesting! I know we all try hard (generally) to not be critical of others, but I think some real discussion of issues may help.

In terms of getting support, maybe we could resurrect the fasting buddies? I also like the idea of longer term members mentoring newer members.

I no doubt have more thoughts, but I have to get moving for the day!
27 Dec 2016, 20:49
Hi folks, ive posted here a lot over the last three plus years,but ( i hope without sounding ungrateful) i do find the new format tiring somehow and i feel less keen on coming here for that reason, and also because it IS so quiet these days.
I think like has already been said,its coz so many of the regulars now know 5:2 and its variations inside out.having been a member of various forums over the years, they do tend to have a shelf life of about three years and then people start to drift off
However i agree,i expect to see an increase in posters from next week,tho i am sad to say i dont think we will ever be as enthusiastic on here as we were back in the old days..remember all the Tents?
I am very fond of this place and all the members..but many old pals havent been here for a long time..and i worry about some of them who posted about their personal probs, and i wonder how theyre doing these days. Hope theyre ok xx
28 Dec 2016, 12:41
I would say though, why would you have to leave. It doesn't take much time to just check in, and if there's nothing going on, you don't need to do anything and if there is, you can post!
28 Dec 2016, 16:57
Good afternoon fasting buddies.
My life has been very very busy since getting our puppy and many other things have jumped into my life since I was a regular here and for that I apologise. If it wasnt for this site I would be a few so
Tones heavier and prob going to SW by now. Eating too much sugar and saying you need breakfast to everyone.
I send people here regularly from a fb running group I am a member of as many want to lose weight and want help.
Fasting is still my way of maintaining and if I stick to a good 600 cal fast a couple of times a week I see instant results even now.
I will have put on a bit after Xmas and will be here to declare my fasting g days from new till I go on my summer holidays next August.
Have a fantastic new year everybody.
29 Dec 2016, 14:56
Hi. I have not been around much this year either. As they say, life gets in the way. I am grateful for this site and without it I too would be mahoosive and have also made lots of new friends. We need two things a)new members and b)a chat room for social interaction and support. I don't see either of those on the horizon in a proactive sense at the moment given @moogie's situation, so it is up to us to keep it going and welcome newbies.

Happy New Year everyone and here is to a successful fasting 2017!
30 Dec 2016, 16:19
I don't post to much.. i check in 2 time a month. But I LOVE 5-2 and it is really working for me. I love this sight and the resources it has.
01 Jan 2017, 18:19
I rarely post on here these days.

It is so inconvenient not being able to log in on my tablet.

I still fast, my daily fasting is now OMAD and I do other fasts which are not approved of on this site, so naturally I spend more time on places where I can get support and advice on what I want to do.

It is so long since I did 5:2 (3 years!) and my Fast-5 window has slowly and naturally shrunk to an hour, so I'm not much use to newbies.

I still hang around to see what old friends are up to, and many of them have moved on to other WOEs (with great success - calling @nursebean and @candicemarie!)

Happy, healthy, successful 2017 everyone.
01 Jan 2017, 19:53
I read the forum quite a lot, but can only post in a different browser from the one I normally use. I don't want to risk removing all my cookies from that. As a result I don't post very often but would miss the forum if it disappeared so i will have to make a bit more effort this Year.
02 Jan 2017, 08:23
@merlin and @barbarita has that old cookie really not expired yet? Can you try the 'delete all board cookies' link at the bottom of the forum again and see if that helps? You may need to switch to desktop view for that. If more folks are still having this problem than I realised, I can try renaming the forum cookie so everyone will get a new one and it should solve the issue (though everyone will also get logged out).
02 Jan 2017, 17:32
Hi sweetie -- sorry I have been MIA! I have had a super busy autumn, on top of the fact that I just don't diet and don't want to deal with thinking about how naughty I'm being.

But it's January, and I'm back on track and hope to be coming on every day. I imagine I am not the only one

I hope you check back in and find a warm welcome :-)
03 Jan 2017, 09:29
I'm back after over 2 years of being away :/

Maybe the New year will bring new Vigour. Also perhaps 5:2 isn't the trendiest kid on the block at this time. But we know it works, so we should all hang in there x

Here's to a happy and healthy 2017.

L x
29 posts Page 1 of 2