The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

28 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: What are you aiming for?
17 Feb 2013, 08:41
Pat, I wonder at times if my high cholesterol is familial as mom has it even though shes skinny, and my late dad had it. We have never really been into heavily fried foods although I do like chocolate.
17 Feb 2013, 09:06
I need to get my BMI down to 24 and with that my tummy should have melted away giving my energy levels a boost and no more hot flushes. My parents died of cancer and a stroke so I don't want that for me. Cholesterol at 7.3 though the doc declined to give me anything for it. Perhaps too many ageing people so best to off us quick! Long live a healthy, sane us.
17 Feb 2013, 09:43
Cholesterol levels have very little to do with fatty foods. Insulin resistance as seen in obesity and type 2 diabetes does cause high cholesterol. Fasting lowers insulin so hopefully will lower cholesterol too.
17 Feb 2013, 10:24
Hi Precilla 55. My cholesterol was not very high, but I was referred to a consultant who took a detailed family history. Because my dad, and 2 of my grandparents died from heart attacks, and my brother and sister both have raised cholesterol, my doctor prescribed a fairly low dose statin. (20mg Simvastatin) My last cholesterol reading was 4.5, and when I go back for tests in April, I'm hoping it will be lower. Ideally, I would like to stop taking the medication, and if my levels are low enough I will ask about doing that. I don't have any other health issues apart from asthma, which amazingly seems much better since starting this WOL, but it's early days yet, I will wait and see if it continues. Let's hope the fasting helps lower your levels.
Pat
17 Feb 2013, 12:37
In the short term I am hoping to lower my BP to the point where I don't need to take med any longer.

Long term I would like to avoid the age related diseases claimed for this diet, particularly cancer as my parents both died of this.
17 Feb 2013, 13:19
Last very nice GP told me 85% genes and 15% diet for high cholesterol. Mine is 8.3 and they run all the risk things but it didn't warrant statins then due to my age. That was a while ago...
17 Feb 2013, 18:17
Hi,

My aim is to lose weight for sport. Obviously being lighter means ill be able to run and cycle up hills quicker!!

Im also training for an Olympic weightlifting competition which has weight categories, if I were to compete at my current weight I wouldn't stand a chance!

The health benefits are also very desirable as there is a family history of cancer and diabetes!
17 Feb 2013, 19:14
Don't want to be fat and forty.....
17 Feb 2013, 20:40
mwah, that ship has sailed for me...
17 Feb 2013, 21:46
To be more comfortable in my clothes and know that I am getting healthier inside too! :D
24 Feb 2013, 22:04
Ooh I like this post...I have TONS of things I'm aiming for :)

1: can't wait to go into a shop and just buy what I like...skinny jeans...dresses....sleeveless tops.
2: to get undressed in front of my hubby! He is completely wonderful and I hide :( TMI I know but this really upsets me and annoys him. Once I'm confident I might get some new undies lol!
3: I want to take up a martial art and not be the fatty.
4: I want to run about the park with my kids.
5: I want to go on holiday and not cover up in the lovely sun.
6: I need some confidence, I need to learn to walk with my head up and not down avoiding eye contact with people.
7:I WANT TO OWN A FULL LENGTH MIRROR!! I only have one mirror and its for brushing my teeth lol!
8: and lastly, I want to be healthy and live a long happy life with my family.

I don't want much eh?! Oh we'll it's worth a good bash. Xx
24 Feb 2013, 22:39
Do all of these things from now on. And it will help with both losing weight and your confidence. Confidence comes from within and takes practice.

I probably weighed the same as you last Oct. Hiding doesn't help and it sounds like it annoys those who love you. Losing weight may mean you are treated differently and can buy wee clothes but you also have to like yourself.

You say you're disgusted to have 60 lbs to lose but think about it, that means you restricted your weight gain over the years. Look at all the posters expecting to lose more than a pound a week and how hard that is to do. If people put on weight as fast as they expect to lose it, we'd all be 20 tonne. :)

Plus running round the park with the kids will help with muscle tone when the padding goes. I just remembered that it was my sister making fun cos I couldn't keep up with my wee nephew that got me exercising. I'm still big but can run around & starting Cross fit next week. The lads at the gym have been great as was the Guys at British Military Fitness were last year.

Be kind to yourself.
28 posts Page 2 of 2