The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

59 posts Page 4 of 4
Re: Diet Coke ?
01 Aug 2013, 16:38
I dont want to be critical but I can't readily think of anything worse....a rush of purified sugar whislt fasting.....hmmmmmmm

Keep a glass of spring water in the fridge. Just remind yourself it's good for your soul....

(as an aside my brother did a little experiment with coke whilst he was a universsity during the 80's. involved dropping a nail into a glass of coke. he never touched the stuff again.

aside 2

I had a coke moment earlier this year when I wasn't well...... which is why (partly) I'm having to sort out now)
01 Aug 2013, 16:55
I'm satisfied that aspartame in ordinary usage is safe. Have a look at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671 .

The thing that always irritates me are these ridiculous click bait "news" articles on how "Diet soda is making you fat". The general thrust of these articles is that the fake sugar makes you crave real sugar and then you binge on that. The headline should be "You may eat too much after drinking diet soda and if you do eat too much you will put on weight".

I drink heaps of Pepsi Max/Diet Coke on my fast days and I don't feel an overwhelming (or indeed any) urge to eat any more than the 2,000kJ I usually eat, nor do I excessively binge on feed days.

That being said, I love stevia (have it with tea, even peppermint tea) and if there were a readily available stevia cola at around the same price I would probably switch to that on taste grounds(I can get Zevia which is made in the US which come in cola, as well as about 10 other flavours, but that costs in excess of $2 a can here vs 30-60 cents a can for Pepsi Max).

TedE
02 Aug 2013, 00:30
TedE wrote: I'm satisfied that aspartame in ordinary usage is safe. Have a look at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671 .

The thing that always irritates me are these ridiculous click bait "news" articles on how "Diet soda is making you fat". The general thrust of these articles is that the fake sugar makes you crave real sugar and then you binge on that. The headline should be "You may eat too much after drinking diet soda and if you do eat too much you will put on weight".

I drink heaps of Pepsi Max/Diet Coke on my fast days and
I don't feel an overwhelming (or indeed any) urge to eat any more than the 2,000kJ I usually eat, nor do I excessively binge on feed days.

That being said, I love stevia (have it with tea, even peppermint tea) and if there were a readily available stevia cola at around the same price I would probably switch to that on taste grounds(I can get Zevia which is made in the US which come in cola, as well as about 10 other flavours, but that costs in excess of $2 a can here vs 30-60 cents a can for Pepsi Max).

TedE

Each to his own but it doesn't like 5;2 dieting to me.
02 Aug 2013, 01:26
David F, Diet Coke doesn't have any sugar in it. It has 0 calories (or very few calories, it depends on the sweetener used). Why do you think it doesn't fit into 5:2??

I totally agree, TedE about the news stories saying that Diet Coke makes you fat. The press is so bad at interpreting scientific studies. I don't feel that DC makes me crave sugar, but I do get hungry sometimes after having one. As I've said elsewhere on this thread and forum, I am trying to cut down, mostly because it's highly processed and I'm trying to cut out all processed foods. I have one a day, which is a major reduction for me. I drink alot more plain water, fizzy water with lemon, and lately, cold green tea. I don't know if I'll ever cut DC out completely. I'm certainly not convinced that I need to!
02 Aug 2013, 09:54
Must say that I haven't noticed any hunger pangs or cravings for food after drinking diet coca cola, but I only drink it when we go out with other people in the evening because if I drank water it would necessitate an early morning wake up call for my bladder!
02 Aug 2013, 10:04
I have a weakness, diet cherry coke but I only drink some from time to time as I prefer water and home made fresh juices. I don't have hunger pangs when I drink some nor have the need more sugar. In fact it's the opposite, it calms my sweet cravings when I have some.
02 Aug 2013, 17:33
All I can say is AMEN... if you are not over-eating after drinking diet soda then what's the problem? I have the self control required on the diet days and drinking diet soda is not causing me to over eat.
TedE wrote: The headline should be "You may eat too much after drinking diet soda and if you do eat too much you will put on weight".

I drink heaps of Pepsi Max/Diet Coke on my fast days and I don't feel an overwhelming (or indeed any) urge to eat any more than the 2,000kJ I usually eat, nor do I excessively binge on feed days.

TedE
15 Sep 2013, 02:53
This is a brilliant source of information from the European Food Safety Authority on aspartame, dated this year (they're currently re-evaluating all food additives):

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/faqs/faqaspartame.htm

A specific point that I've taken from here is this:

"19. What are the Panel’s conclusions regarding specific safety concerns?

The Panel’s draft conclusions in relation to potential safety concerns in humans are as follows:

• Studies do not suggest an increased risk associated with aspartame consumption for pre-term delivery in pregnant women, leukaemia, brain tumours or a variety of cancers, including brain, lymphatic and haematopoietic (blood) cancers.
  • The weight of evidence suggests that aspartame ingestion has no effect on behaviour or cognitive function.
  • There is no evidence that consuming aspartame causes seizures.
  • There is no convincing evidence that consuming aspartame causes headaches.
  • The weight of evidence shows that aspartame is not associated with allergic type reactions.
  • In addition, available data do not indicate a genotoxic concern for aspartame (i.e. it does not affect DNA, the genetic material of cells)."

Also:

to reach the ADI for aspartame (40 mg/kg body weight), an adult weighing 60kg would have to drink 12 (330ml) cans of a diet soft drink (containing aspartame at the maximum permitted levels of use), every day for the rest of his/her life. However, in reality, aspartame is used at lower levels and amounts found in soft drinks can be 3 to 6 times less than the maximum permitted levels; this would increase the number of cans required to meet the ADI to 36 or more.

Of course, it's up to you make up your own mind, but their findings are quite convincing and take into account a lot of external studies, theories and supporting information.

I personally enjoy many sugar-free drinks ranging from Coke to the no-added-sugar supermarket drinks and squashes. I also ensure I'm drinking less than 12 cans' worth per day (just to be on the safe side!).
15 Sep 2013, 04:26
There are studies around where aspartame is dumped straight on cells that show aspartame is dangerous. People cite this data, sometimes innocently, because they don't understand how aspartame is metabolized and what cells in the body actually see. Others cite the data less innocently--they're convinced aspartame is poison and refuse to believe evidence to the contrary.

Personally, I am trying to cut down on all processed food, including diet soda. I've been doing a bad job with diet soda lately...
15 Sep 2013, 10:55
I get a banging headache a few minutes after consuming anything with aspartame in, so I try to avoid the stuff. Surely anything that causes a reaction like that isn't good for me?!
24 Nov 2013, 20:37
How about sparkling water instead?

You get a stomach full of bubbles, but no calories or bad stuff... You can even add a splash of sugar free cordial if you want flavour....
24 Nov 2013, 21:04
Wow bit of a ripping thread

Can't stand stevia literally it makes me sick, since trying it a few times in the quest to cut out honey on my fast days which I use to sweeten my tea. Nothing comes up to honey but I do use it sparingly and much less since starting 5:2.

Rather grateful I never really got into Pepsi and coke as I'd rather have a cuppa
24 Nov 2013, 21:08
Dean wrote: Hi Folks,

As I'm an all or nothing chap I've found its easier to stick with not eating at all during the day and then getting my 600 cals in as late as I can bear it. This way I also get a better sleep.

Anyway, I've got into the habit of necking a lot of diet coke --Pepsi Max is best- during the day to fill me up. I'm sure its probably bad -aspartame etc--

comments/ thoughts ?

x

I think maybe water maybe better.

I keep several glasses filled with spring water in the fridge.

For me it's go to be spring water and it's got to be chilled.
28 Jul 2015, 00:39
I'm bumping this thread to add this nice summary of the evidence that sweeteners are safe, for future reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/upsho ... 0002&abg=0
59 posts Page 4 of 4