The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

59 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: Diet Coke ?
05 Feb 2013, 19:52
What your thoughts on diluted squash? As in Robinsons orange squash for example. I'm lucky in that I've never been a tea or coffee drinker but I get through a bottle of squash per week and would like to carry on with these weak drinks on fast days...
05 Feb 2013, 20:57
I drink dilute sugar free squash most of the time. I worry a little about the sweeteners that are in it, but when I think about all the other things I could be drinking that are worse for me, I soon stop thinking about it. :)
05 Feb 2013, 21:09
I think no one really knows the long term effects of artificial sweetener in the body, or even some of the short term effects. However, we do know that sugar is very bad so, I guess sugar free squash is better than diet coke but if you could cope with water or herbal tea to replace some then probably that would be better. But we have no hard evidence!
05 Feb 2013, 21:42
PhilT wrote: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17023723

"Intake of cola, but not of other carbonated soft drinks, is associated with low BMD in women. Additional research is needed to confirm these findings."

And this one as well
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21772969
"Among the single index components, colas and non-cola soft drinks were negatively associated with BMD. "

But not just cola.
23 Feb 2013, 14:58
I have to say, as I just started this diet, I drink a lot of diet drinks and on fast days helps me a lot, I know is not good for me but one step a the time, it helps just now and I will try to reduce as I progress but just now is what helps me get to the end of the day.
25 Feb 2013, 08:01
When you get right down to it everything we eat/drink can be "bad" for us if taken to excess. I don't drink diet pepsi on fast days as it gives me wind, but I do drink it on non fast days...if it works for you...do it !
25 Feb 2013, 09:30
I'm with Bee on this one - everything in moderation :lol:
25 Feb 2013, 09:54
You're not concerned about dead brain cells, I take it?

Have a look at the link I gave on page one.
25 Feb 2013, 11:12
I am not a diet fizzy drink drinker usually. I like fizzy water and drnk lotsof still water usually.
However, I have been staying away from home and fizzy water has been not available/really expensive and I have been drinking diet 7up with meals (2 cans a day).
I craved fizzy water!
I have found that
a) my lower abdomen is more bulky than usual
b) i have had diet 7up cravings
don't know if it's all in the mind but I don't like it!
Relented and had a can yesterday and see to have broken the 'need' and will keep an eye on the bulk.
Strange
25 Feb 2013, 22:52
Just seen this thread - I've been having a can of Coke Zero or Pepsi Max with my lunch on Fast days which had stopped any cravings to be honest. Likewise in the evening on a fast day I will have about a pint of Aldi Cola Zero (coke zero equivalent). I find that gets rid of any hunger and provided sufficient "treat" for the evening.

I doubt it kills of any more brain cells than drinking beer :-)

I will have a look at other drinks but I suspect done will work as well for me
26 Feb 2013, 21:42
Breadandwine wrote: You're not concerned about dead brain cells, I take it?

Have a look at the link I gave on page one.

Personally, I would not base my intake of aspartame on Christine Northrup's opinions. To quote her stand on meningitis (and vaccines): "Like pertussis and HPV, typically a child will be sick and recover—it’s not fatal. The main reason these adult children get sick is due to a shaky first chakra." For me, that says enough. Others may choose differently.

I prefer this site http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/#more-16107

That being said - everything in moderation is probably a sensible rule for many food stuffs. I prefer to use the real stuff, but less of it, instead of too many tweaked surrogates. Getting used to a less sweet (or salty) taste brought out the "real" taste of food for me (which I happen to like).
26 Feb 2013, 21:56
This link from the Harvard School of Nutrition may also be helpful
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/sugary-vs-diet-drinks/#diet-drinks

They discuss (among other thing) the worry that the uncoupling of sweet taste and energy intake might disturb feedback mechanisms (that make you stop eating when you have had enough calories) off balance. But according to them, more research is needed.

Their conclusion:
Although the scientific findings are mixed and not conclusive, there is worrisome evidence that regular use of artificial sweeteners may promote weight gain. Because of these mixed findings about artificial sweeteners, drinking diet soda may not be the best replacement for drinking sugary soda.
The Bottom Line: Skip Sugary Drinks and Go Easy on Diet Drinks
08 Mar 2013, 09:30
I :heart: diet coke and could quite easily drink it all day and night given half the chance, but I decided as part of my lifestyle change incorporating the 5:2 diet to cut it right down.

I avoid my beloved diet coke until I eat my evening calorie allowance (on any day of my 5:2 diet) and even then I allow myself no more than a 250ml serving. Funnily enough, after about a week I'm not craving the taste any longer, I think I've broken my nasty habit.

If I desire a fizzy fix I have sparkling mineral water/soda water and a slice of lime which is delicious and refreshing. Plus the cost is much better too - you're only about 30-40p for a 2l bottle of shop's own fizzy water compared to £2 for a bottle of coke the same size :like: !
08 Mar 2013, 12:18
totally agree with 150lbs post. Eat natural, our bodies aren't made to cope with processed chemically enhanced sugar filled food, hence the obesity crisis today. Mother Nature won't kill or harm you, man made interference with our food will. As for diet coke...poison.
08 Mar 2013, 12:28
chriso57 wrote: Mother Nature won't kill or harm you, man made interference with our food will.

Not entirely true (e.g., deadly nightshade, fly agaric etc ;-)) but I know exactly what you mean and agree with you too! I was particularly taken by someone saying, oh a while back now, that you shouldn't eat any food containing ingredients your granny would not have heard of (assuming your granny was quite well travelled I suppose :lol:)!
59 posts Page 2 of 4