The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

88 posts Page 6 of 6
Juliana.Rivers wrote: thought i would dig up this thread from way back for some of the old timers here and newbies to comment. the opening post brought up some interesting thoughts (myths)

Juliana - What are the myths you refer to in my original post?
Pete, you are right I have not been on here for a long time, and have dropped by thanks to your post/mail alert. I haven't converted to full on paleo but I still think it's the way of eating to aim for.
Fasting for me now means no food all day monday plus 1 day with no food till dinner plus no breakfast on most days. I've also tried to reduce the carbs, no issues with bread, pasta and spuds but still hopeless with confectionary.
Am doing nearly all my exercise, comfortably, in a fasted state including 30-40mile road bike rides, HIIT swimming sessions and the odd day out in the hills.
Weight loss isn't the goal for me. Body shape has stayed the same over the last 2 years and i guess weight has been pretty even. Eating less food, reducing the carbs and plenty of exercise remain my main goals.
Great to hear from you and happy you are doing OK. I don't need to be anything like as ascetic as you, fortunately, but still have long periods without food most weeks. I too like doing a couple of hours on the bike 'running on empty' but overdid it a bit two weeks ago and did not compensate for the glycogen loss sufficiently. Had a week off and now back to normal, but with no weight gain to speak of.
Are you back in the UK permanently now? Maybe we could get out on the hills sometime...
I was Paleo for 10 months, and the experience taught me that category elimination is not the answer for me. That's not saying that it might not be the right answer for you, but slashing the list of "acceptable" food items was not sustainable for me over the long-term.

While I was successfully able to cut out grains and dairy, it was a constant battle. I'd make pancakes or pasta for my family and have to create a modified version (with expensive alternative ingredients) for myself, or not eat them altogether. I'd go to a potluck or dinner party and be forced to prepare and bring my own Paleo-friendly dish, or annoy my hosts by not eating what had been lovingly prepared. I'd take my kids out for a sandwich or burger and be that annoying person making endless modifications to every menu item. I'd gaze longingly at the Greek yogurt and cheese and oatmeal and brown rice and quinoa and think, "how can these delicious, healthy foods not be acceptable?" I'd go out to eat and skip the crusty French bread/naan/tortillas/pita and grumble, because every culture in the world has delicious carby food items that are central to their cuisine and HOW can they all be wrong?

I still think Paleo's approach of limiting refined carbs and sugars and choosing organic veggies and grass-fed meats are valuable. I'm just not interested in obsessing to the necessary degree over every single thing I eat. Food is just food-- we're all human and we all eat, every day. I felt like when I was on Paleo it was occupying my every thought and was elevated to this huge, stressful aspect of my life.

I fell off the Paleo wagon when I got an awful stomach flu that lasted for 5 solid days right before Thanksgiving. While I was sick all I could stomach were good old white flour crackers and toast, and once I got well I decided I'd already blown it and I was just going to eat and enjoy that full, non-Paleo Thanksgiving with cornbread stuffing and pecan pie and buttery dinner rolls! And it was wonderful. :smile:
Pete - Glad to hear all is going well for you too on the exercise front. I like your phrase "running on empty", I created a strava segment with the same name as every time I rode that stretch of road the glycogen tanks were v low. My only gripe currently with this WOE is cramp. I still don't get enough salt (i think?) and too often get night cramps in my calves and feet. Am back in the UK permanently and would v much been keen for a day in the hills. Will PM you.
Great discussion with the resurrection of this threat and ensuring discussion - food for thought - thanks all
skippyscuffleton wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote: thought i would dig up this thread from way back for some of the old timers here and newbies to comment. the opening post brought up some interesting thoughts (myths)

Juliana - What are the myths you refer to in my original post?

I will pass on that question. Hard to formulate an intelligent response @skippyscuffleton
Juliana - What are the myths you refer to in my original post?[/quote]

I will pass on that question. Hard to formulate an intelligent response @skippyscuffleton[/quote] :smile:
Hi I found Mary-Ann's link very interesting and it resonated with me.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/best-diet
I agree with the link above that most diets have three common denominators:
No processed food, no sugar and moderation.
Fasting takes care of all three points for two or three days a week and on the eating days i am so acutely aware that I need to give my body nutrients (low TDEE can 't waste calories) Sugar cravings are almost gone due to no carbs on fast days and I tend to want prefer home cooked food (even if it is only a quick fried/scrambled egg) I also feel more in tune with hunger and/or portion sizes (moderation).
The main point however is that the diet is sustainable, that it resonates with us and that we find a way of eating that we want to do for life which for me means that i don't stress about certain food groups and if I do eat processed foods, or sugar, I can happily go back to what works for me again the next day and fasting definitely re-sets everything. Diets should not be seen as wagons to fall off.
By the way, i don't have a problem with the word "diet". All it means to me is: "what we eat" or "food choices". :smile:
I agree with the whole idea of eating mainly unprocessed foods. I was always into that kinda thing back in the 80's and it was easier then, even though brown rice etc was only available in the hippie food shop. Mind you, there was a gorgeous guy selling them which may have had something to do with it. But I baked my own bread and cooked from scratch, just like most people. Then the kids came along complete with extended PND and I lost control of the whole eat healthy vibe. Nearly thirty years on and as many pounds heavier!
Working on reducing sugar and placing it in the only for special occasions cabinet.
But if fasting works, and makes our brains turn around then keep on keeping on! If it don't, then just eat healthy anyway...feed your body, don't trash it!
Love and peace...
I find I have slipped into Paleo by default. Carbs make me feel ill and bloated so I tried the 21 day challenge on Marks daily apple and loved the way of eating. I don't find it constricting at all. Last night we were out for a meal ( our 41st anniversary ) and I had a prawn salad followed by steak and extra veg instead of chips. Monday is always a fast day for me I know I went a bit over my 500 probably about 800 but hey it was my anniversary. As somebody above said horses for courses.
Congratulations Nessie, wonderful anniversary that really did need celebrating x
Happy Anniversary @nessie and OH x
88 posts Page 6 of 6