The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

24 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone

Well my first day's fast is going really well and I've felt great!

I had more breakfast than I would usually eat (2 boiled eggs and 2 slices of weightwatchers toast - 322 cals)nothing all day and am eagerly anticipating my veggie stir fry later.

But how do people cope with cooking dinner for kids? I wanted to wait another few hours before my dinner and it was torture! My 6 year old wanted to help make a veggie frittata and salad so it prolonged the agony.

Any tips you'd care to share?

Thanks x
Ha ha that is the hardest thing, I completely agree!!
I have been saving up my calories and having an evening meal with them. I'm busy at breakfast time doing packed lunches and making sure they're washed, dressed etc and on time so breakfast isn't an issue and obviously they're in school at lunch time.
Half term was a nightmare though! Took them to the museum last Monday and got them their lunch in the cafe, I had nothing (told them I wasn't hungry as I don't want to influence their perfectly healthy eating habits) and it was my biggest test to date. Did it though *proud*
I often give my son a special "treat" that I find repulsive. For example, he really really loves pizza, even horrid, frozen pizza. So I might pick him up a couple of slices from a pizza place I don't particularly care for, or make him his favorite frozen barbeque chicken pizza. He also loves grilled cheese sandwiches and spaghetti and meatballs. He could eat spaghetti and meatballs twice a week, easily, while I can tolerate it once or twice a month. So when I make a batch, I freeze small, individual servings of meatballs and sauce so I can pull just one serving out for him. I boil up some pasta fresh, and he's thrilled.

I do save almost all of my calories for the evening meal and there are some things he enjoys (like when I pound chicken breasts thinly and pan fry them in a bit of spray oil with lots of seasonings).

We do eat together, but not necessarily the same things.
You should be proud! I delayed starting the plan until after half term :-) I'm also saying I'm not hungry and I'll eat later as I don't want my skinny daughter getting any daft diet ideas! I might switch to just dinner when I've got used to a few fast days. x
I save all my cals for dinner and cook the same thing for all of us, usually lots of veggies and some fish or chicken. The rest of the family get potatoes but I don't.
Yes, my 12 year old is quite thin, naturally. He eats whatever he likes, but he has naturally better eating habits than I do! He can eat a bit of sweets, and walk away from it, with half uneaten. I have no idea how he does it! The last thing we want to do is give him any daft diet ideas or mess up what is working so well for him.
Tracie - I love the idea of the repulsive treats! I was thinking that if I feed them at a soft play I won't be interested in the food there (except for chips) and they will love it. But having food cooked just to reheat for them is a great idea. I'm always picking at stuff I'm making for them.

Carorees - yes I think one meal with them will be a better plan long term. I'll try a few weeks of 2 meals first as I think I'll find that easier.
Thanks :-) x I feel the summer holidays may be even harder although at least then I'll enjoy healthy "cold" foods such as salads and fruit *she says hopefully!!!*
I also have a skinny daughter (she's 9) and I try to avoid talk of "diets" etc around her unless I'm reinforcing balanced healthy eating etc. The last thing I want to do is give her a complex!
Yes, lets not make it easy for them - they can grow their own body complex when they get older ;-) Or hopefully never.

We'll be skinny ourselves by the summer holidays and only need one day a week to avoid getting too thin. Well, I can dream!
It might take me a while before I'm at that stage!! We'll get there though, eventually :-)
Generally eat with the kids...will either leave the carbs off my plate, or replace them with salad....so for me it is chicken and veg or venison (lower cal) meatballs and salad....or I make it a stir-fry or other healthier option night....x
It's very difficult. Have managed 9 fasts without caving in so far but my daughter's 5pm dinner time is my hardest time of day when fasting.
I knew there was a reason that I didn't have kids! :lol:
I also make something for the kids that I don't particularly like, which is usually accompanied by ketchup. Because I'm terrible at picking at leftovers, whatever they leave, I smother in ketchup, because I can't stand the stuff. That way, I don't eat it! We eat our evening meal at the same time, but I busy myself cooking my healthier dinner, whilst theirs is on the go too.
In lots of ways I wish I'd discovered this WOL 10 years ago - but then the kids would all have been at home and I'd be going through what you ladies are now trying to cope with. I truly wish you luck and willpower Being of that age that we ate what was on our plate I found myself a bit like a hoover when the kids left stuff on their plate - a downfall of a lot of us mums I'm sure. Now, with just 1 fledgling still in the nest but working shift hours, so sorts himself out for eats, I only have to think of me and hubby (both doing 5:2) so it's SO much easier - it's bordering on pleasurable :lol: Wishing you lots of willpower - hang in there ladies - you CAN do it
24 posts Page 1 of 2