The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Body fat %age
08 Mar 2013, 15:40
I've just bought some Tanita scales which measure body fat as well as weight. My body fat is apparently 20% which according to charts is underfat for my age group according to a chart I found on the internet. I don't know how accurately the scales measure, but is there a chart on this forum which shows what %age body fat should be? I just don't believe I am 'underfat'!
Re: Body fat %age
08 Mar 2013, 15:56
See what this calculator estimates: http://www.halls.md/bmi/fat.htm

I think it's pretty common for these scales to underestimate BF anyway.
08 Mar 2013, 16:21
Hi Frangelaise. Michael Mosely recommended getting those scales that measure fat percentage, but there was a clause! He said unless they cost a fortune, they aren't very accurate at your true %, but what they are good at is measuring how much fat you have lost. So unless you are thinking of mortgaging the house to buy state of the art scales, it might be good just to see the difference between the % you are now to the % you will be in a month :lol: There's always the other well known method of course - "if you can pinch an inch". I can pinch several :bugeyes:
08 Mar 2013, 17:05
I'm 44% fat and would aim for about 30%, given I'm over 40 and have a large frame and don't want to look gaunt. Doing Pilates has helped with tone and length so I'm not so worried about the % fat, other than getting my visceral fat down.

If you can jump and down in front of a mirror without too much of a ripple, you're ok!
08 Mar 2013, 17:10
Indeed, at 19 BMI you are getting near athlete anyway! (18% fat apparently?)

I was 39.2% fat last week with a BMI of 31 ish. Again sub 30 would be nice!
08 Mar 2013, 18:30
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. I think there is a definite underestimation, Ubizmo.
Monty, I remember reading what DrM said about only the super duper really expensive fat measuring scales being any good, so I'll just keep a look out for changes in body fat level. I still have various inches to pinch, but not as many as before starting the 5:2.
I should have bought the new scales before starting really!
Good luck with getting below 30 Boboff - what do you use to measure your fat content btw? The Tanita scales had very good reviews on Amazon - the weight certainly is accurate.
08 Mar 2013, 18:38
I have some Salter Scales, which I bought really for OH as she wants to loose weight but is training for a half marathon, so I thought the Fat % might give her a boost in the weeks where the weight stayed the same, which is working ( only 4 weeks in)

They seem ok at the minute, and they have a long guarantee!
08 Mar 2013, 18:40
The calculation gives me a fat percentage of 22.5 - so there seems a long way to go yet! Anybody know offhand the recommendation for a 62 year old male?
08 Mar 2013, 18:45
Franglaise wrote: Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. I think there is a definite underestimation...

In that case, I'm half-fat... :cool:
08 Mar 2013, 18:56
CreakyPete wrote: The calculation gives me a fat percentage of 22.5 - so there seems a long way to go yet! Anybody know offhand the recommendation for a 62 year old male?

According to this table, http://ibodycare.com/body_fat_guidelines.htm, you're doing well.
08 Mar 2013, 20:53
Sorry, Susan, you are definitely under-fat by this calculation!
08 Mar 2013, 22:12
Is it really true that it's OK to get fatter as we age? I know we all do it, but is it really healthy to let it happen? Surely it's better to keep within a healthy BMI whatever your age.
09 Mar 2013, 07:02
Catscratch wrote: Is it really true that it's OK to get fatter as we age? I know we all do it, but is it really healthy to let it happen? Surely it's better to keep within a healthy BMI whatever your age.

I found this explanation regarding the acceptable increased fat as you age
"You may have noticed as your age increases, your acceptable body fat within these ranges increases as well. Why you ask? In short, these charts are based on statistical assumptions. Older individuals tend to have a lower body density for the same skinfold measurements, which is assumed to indicate a higher body fat percentage. Older, athletic individuals, however, might not fit this assumption because their body density may be underestimated.

Digging a little deeper, there are 3 types of fat: subcutaneous (under the skin), visceral (around the organs), and intramuscular (in between muscle, like a marbled steak). The amount of subcutaneous body fat you have may stay the same, but the visceral and intramuscular fat may increase as you age."
09 Mar 2013, 07:09
I weighed myself again this morning and the %age body fat was 23.4, which is probably about right. I don't think I was standing on them in the right place for the fat to be measured yesterday. Either that or the scales are really rubbish.
09 Mar 2013, 07:36
Hello everyone, I'm new to posting but I've been reading the forum for a week or so now.

I've got Tanita Bodyfat monitor scales too and I get different readings in the morning and evening too. I re-read the instructions and they said that you get the most accurate reading of bodyfat in the evening before your evening meal because in the morning your body composition is less balanced due to dehydration.
I love the Tanita scales and think they were a very good buy.

I look forward to getting to know you all. I'm at my target weight after losing 7 stone by various means over several years. I've stayed at target for over 3 years which is a miracle after years of yo-yoing (I'm 55).
I use 5:2 now to deal with any gains and to maintain.
18 posts Page 1 of 2