The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

26 posts Page 1 of 2
Blood pressure suggestions
05 Apr 2013, 02:37
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a natural blood pressure remedy. I've had good success with 5:2 and eat healthily. I prefer not to take drugs to reduce my bp (can be 144/82 after walking around). Seems dangerously high considering that I eat veggie, exercise lots, do yoga and don't smoke. I still have some worrisome abdominal fat to lose but the diet seems to be helping with that. Let me know of natural products etc that might help.
Re: Blood pressure suggestions
05 Apr 2013, 02:47
Hi not sure how old you are but if that is not your resting BP it looks pretty good to me you should give your resting BP
05 Apr 2013, 06:20
Hi Tompan, If you're on meds for your BP you should not take any herbal supplementation without checking it out very carefully with a qualified herbalist or your doctor. If not on meds then herbal teas with hibiscus, hawthorn berries, yarrow and lemon balm should be fine. Aromatherapy with lavender, camomile and ylang ylang are all good. :smile:
05 Apr 2013, 06:34
What is your resting bp? Sitting still not talking for 15 mins beforehand; warm room; feet flat on the floor, cuff at heart height, arm only slightly bent, straight back, no talking or moving; no exercise for an hour before, no food or coffee for 30 min before. If your bp is not high under those conditions you have no problem.
05 Apr 2013, 07:31
Reduce salt (both added by you or hidden in prefab food). Do endurance exercise (if you don't already). Lose weight if you are overweight or apple shaped.
As Caroline pointed out: Resting BP (repeated measures) should be used, not BP after activity. "Dangerously high" seems a bit of an overstatement here, as a one-off BP after activity it wouldn't worry me.
If it were a resting BP, ideally one would aim for a somewhat lower reading, also depending on other risk factors (blood lipids, family history),
Your doing a lot of good stuff already (regardless of BP).
05 Apr 2013, 14:53
As well as keeping sodium intake low, keeping potassium intake up helps to regulate blood pressure.
05 Apr 2013, 15:29
That's my average resting bp...

I'd be looking at salt intake, I think. Not supplements.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart
05 Apr 2013, 16:00
Personally I wouldn't worry about your blood pressure.

The best way of reducing BP will be your diet. Get rid of the fat and your heart will do less work pumping the blood around the body. Assess after that.

I notice the chart you showed has a pre-high blood pressure implying there is a natural progression to high blood pressure. It also says that pre-high blood pressure is a normal blood pressure.

Speaking as an RN, your diastolic is at 82, so I wouldn't worry too much about 144. See what the diet does and re-assess later.

Reduce sodium is the mantra that will help. And don't panic, be aware!
05 Apr 2013, 16:05
dohpeterchina wrote: Speaking as an RN, your diastolic is at 82, so I wouldn't worry too much about 144.

What about isolated systolic hypertension and the risks of LVH? (Not that I think the OP has this as the BP was not resting BP). Just commenting that a low diastolic is not always a sign that all is OK. Increasing pulse pressure (difference between systolic and diastolic) is a warning sign, at least as we age anyway.
05 Apr 2013, 18:06
carorees wrote: What about isolated systolic hypertension and the risks of LVH? (Not that I think the OP has this as the BP was not resting BP). Just commenting that a low diastolic is not always a sign that all is OK. Increasing pulse pressure (difference between systolic and diastolic) is a warning sign, at least as we age anyway.

Good point. Get your blood pressure checked regularly so that trends can be picked up...
05 Apr 2013, 18:44
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I'm 57 and don't currently take any meds. I guess I'm not really sure what my resting bp is since I haven't tried taking it the way that is suggested here. I'll do that. When I look at the charts, it says my range is in stage 1, hypertension so I just wondered what else I can do considering all the other factors (and since I don't eat too much processed/prepared foods I don't think salt is the main factor). Family history with major heart disease too!
05 Apr 2013, 18:52
Bread? That's a major source of salt in the diet.

Yeah, but you're not measuring it right atm so I expect it'll be lower and normal when you do.
05 Apr 2013, 18:54
@BBT053 Wow. I had no idea!
05 Apr 2013, 18:54
05 Apr 2013, 19:02
Again, check your BP a couple of times after resting etc. before you classify yourself as hypertensive . Knowing your blood lipids might help to tell you more about your risk.
You could also check here http://www.qrisk.org/lifetime/index.php

Salt may be hidden in unexpected places (some ice creams for ex., and yes, bread). You can also increase potassium. http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/salt/Home Alcohol also plays a role.

I sympathize with preferring not to take meds - but I don't think there are a lot of "natural" alternatives if you really need to lower blood pressure. Besides, the concentration of active ingredients in herbal product may vary wildly, in contrast to "official" drugs. Anything that really works can be harmful whether it comes in the form of a pill or a tea.
26 posts Page 1 of 2