The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

223 posts Page 3 of 15
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 Next
I had to look up "autophagy" and found it interesting. This is from Wikipedia: "Research suggests that autophagy is required for the lifespan-prolonging effects of caloric restriction.

Autophagy degrades damaged organelles, cell membranes and proteins, and the failure of autophagy is thought to be one of the main reasons for the accumulation of cell damage and aging."

People sometimes have nutrition beliefs that cannot be changed and they will be offended if you have different beliefs, which you found out. And it's not just this diet, I had the same experience when I was low carbing.

I avoid talking to anyone about my diet unless they ask and then I tell them as little as possible.
There are definitely mixed reactions to this way of eating. The mere mention of fasting seems to scare the hell out of some folks! I wouldn't say that all doctors are against it though, I know of several who are interested by it and in fact have tried it themselves to good success.

I saw someone here (sorry, forgot who >.<;; ) mention a good way to tell others about this way of eating. You can describe it as eating like a naturally thin person does - you have a couple of days a week where you eat less :)
Ok, thanks. It's somewhat reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who got my head bit off for mentioning it, although I wish people wouldn't be so touchy!

I wonder WHY people get so riled up about nutrition issues? I understand the vegans and their deeply held moral beliefs about animal rights: that could get heated. But just discussing what works and what doesn't work with food, for you personally, would seem to be less contentious. Maybe people are worried that they're too fat, and that they could actually do something about it, but they don't want to. So if you talk about something that seems to work, they get very defensive. It's easier to assume that there's nothing you can do. Plus, in this case, there was an argument being advanced about "fat as a feminist issue": that even TRYING to be less fat was somehow not feminist. I think that's BS! (But I didn't say so, obviously.)
I'm happy fat and I'll be happy thinner, always suffered more from people's perceptions of larger people and how you SHOULD be. I suppose that is the feminist stance but really it's better to be thinner for your health. But it really is up to the individual and not really anyone's business. (Not changing my surname on marriage evoked similar reactions.)

Ironically, those hassling me to lose weight are equally freaked now that I have! So I tend to tell people that ask about this WOE and say to others I'm doing a bit of calorie restricting and more exercise.

I think people who can't stand the idea get very defensive.
You can describe it as eating like a naturally thin person does - you have a couple of days a week where you eat less :)[/quote]

I think that would have really made my fat doctor friend mad! Her belief seems to be that it's ok to be really overweight; that it's ok to exercise in order to be more healthy, but not in order to lose weight. She had posted an article that said that, too. The article talked about "fat-shaming" especially in regard to women. The author said that formerly, when she exercised, she felt that she was "fat-shaming" her own body. But now she is not trying to lose weight, just be healthy, so that's not "fat-shaming."

I don't really understand this point of view. It seems to me that if you feel ashamed of being fat, you could just lose some weight, and then feel less ashamed! But the idea seems to be that the CULTURE is shaming you for being fat, and that there's really nothing wrong with being fat, and that the fat-shamers just don't want women to take up so much space! (The article in question really did say that!)

It may be true that the culture is shaming people, esp. women, for being fat, and that may cause pain to some people, but it is also true that being fat is in itself a risk factor for diabetes, and maybe cancer. Cigarette smoking is generally recognized to be unhealthy, and we don't find it offensive to say that; but saying that being fat is unhealthy seems to be impolite, "fat-shaming," sexist, etc.
I think you need to let her stew.

I can sort of see the argument as you do get a lot of abuse for being fat, I get a particularly hard time at the GPs, ironically but no, if you can lose weight sensibly at a pound a week, gaining control of your weight, what's the problem.

I didn't diet before as I wanted to get off the yoyo thing.
I have also met hostility & found it difficult to explain 5:2ing without the word fast coming into it. I think it is that word that alarms & frightens people or else they think I have a screw loose & have become weird & endangering my health. It is also that people find change difficult & trying something that at first glance appears new & radical is alarming, even though various religions have advocated daily fasting for many years. I only discuss it with my family now who have noticed my weight loss & think that is good.
Happily I am the stereotypical fat jolly person....getting thinner and no less jolly. I personally would'nt even engage in an arguement over this programme, I stick firmly to the " if it works for you do it" system.
Alot of people including me are not able to be very active so lots of exercise is out of the question.
I can see where your friend is coming from - Western culture does "admire" slender people (especially women), and regard fat people with a degree of contempt or dismissal or disrespect.

But personally, I think she needs to take a more "live and let live" attitude. If it's OK to choose to be fat, it's also OK to choose to be slim!
Ok, thanks. I guess I will just not discuss this with people, except the one friend who is also doing it. But if it were not being discussed, how would I have found out about it? My sister sent me an article about it from the NYTimes and mentioned that she was doing it, so I tried it. If I'd just gotten mad at her for suggesting it, I would have missed an educational and healthy experience!

I guess I'm tired of people complaining about being fat and unhealthy, but then being resistant to trying any solutions. One woman I know is at least 100 lbs overweight, and in the US she has not been able to buy health insurance as a result. One prospective insurer told her that if she lost 100 lbs, they would consider insuring her. She was telling me this, so I said I thought I might be able to help her come up with a plan (involving cutting carbs and walking, nothing too drastic). But she just complained more about it, and was clearly not interested in changing anything.
I found if I tell people that im fasting to regenerate cells and give my body a break from digesting to it can consentrate on repairing what needs it, people are alot more inquisative and understanding then if I tell them Im doing it to lose weight. Ive had someone ask me if im becoming anorexic...lol what people dont understand scares them. (sorry about spelling)
I'm a great one for giving advice but I've worked out some people just want to offload, not actually fix anything.

I now try to stick to positive people, rather than wasting precious energy on those just wanting to circle around their issues endlessly.
At my last weigh & measure at my gym I was asked how I was managing to lose weight. I guessed they would be anti- fasting because I have often been told not to miss breakfast, and to make sure I ate something before exercising to 'keep up your blood sugar levels'. I said I am calorie counting, but allowing myself more at weekends and making up during the week by having a couple of low calorie days in order to have an average daily intake of around 1500 calories. That was fine with the instructor.
I haven't really talked about this WOE to anyone else except my close family, who are all so used to me trying all sorts of diets that they just let me get on with it. None of my children can remember a time when I haven't been trying to lose weight. I try to explain that because I tend to eat more than I need, for me this is an easy way of reducing my overall consumption, which may also have added health benefits.
I don't tell people about it - I mentioned it to one person and although they were polite I could see the skepticism in their eyes, so I haven't told any else. My mum knows about it because she's doing it too, and my husband knows because, well, he's my husband :smile:

Re the 'fat' thing. I think that it can't be good to have your organs surrounded by a load of fat but I also think fat-shaming is awful and that we have to remember to treat people, whatever they look like, with respect.
I haven't told anyone. Not even hubby. I did mention that I'd downloaded the book onto my kindle but that was all. I have 3 beautiful happy teenage girls & for this reason decided to give it a go on my own. My eldest girl 16 thinks that she is overweight & wears a size 12 so is definitely not overweight at 5ft6". & it's not like I'm not eating at all. All I'm doing is waiting til dinner time to sit down & eat a meal with the family. I get round eating different as I don't eat meat & family does so I give them something meaty or similar to me, but obviously I'll have a smaller portion. I just didn't want to discuss how I might go all day without eating & am not after huge body changes. Just reducing my belly fat. I think it's that FAST word that shocks people. We have been told by so many to eat little & often so I suppose anything different to normal calorie counting & exercise is a bit scary. It's a shame your friend reacted so badly & hasn't taken time to listen to you.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 Next
223 posts Page 3 of 15