The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

223 posts Page 6 of 15
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15 Next
Normally polite people seem to easily become very rude when the topic is weight, weight loss, etc. Some people, not even particularly healthy people, seem to love to give weight-loss advice. I tend to chose carefully who I discuss any diet with. I tell friends I know will be supportive.
We as a race are so easily influenced. In a world of constant "on media" we continually absorb bites ( no pun intended) of information. Just the snippets of media created by media made nutrition gurus reach massive audiences like never before, and this can drive both positivity ( Dr Moses) or negativity. I feel like an ostrich who has, after many years removed my head from the sand. Let the mockers and naysayers remain in the sand. I am enjoying the metaphorical sun...long may it shine
I tried not to tell anyone apart from family I was doing this but as someone else said it's hard when it's obvious you've lost weight. I then discovered a significant number of people were doing it at work, so I'm 'out' there too. I wouldn't say I've experienced negativity so much as people not understanding why anyone would want to 'starve' themselves. I haven't always got time to explain.
I've only told my husband and I'm keeping it a secret from my 3 girls. Having said that in the past 6 months I've gradually lost over a stone frost from calorie counting and then from 5:2. No one has noticed! I'm dying for someone to ask me how I've lost weight. Maybe because I've done it so gradually that people have missed it :?:
I met one couple recently, who stated they were on 5:2. They were most pleasantly surprised when I not only supported them, but was following it myself!
My penny's worth (after all, I am Penny For them!) is that if you had to have a gastric band fitted, what sort of eating regime would you have to follow then?
Far better to take control yourself.
The proof of the pudding will be in a few years' time, when the WOE will have been evaluated properly; if we are all still on it, albeit in maintenance mode, then it will have been shown not to be a fad.
Those companies who have most to lose are those in the diet industry - those individuals with the most to lose, will be the ones to gain.

There, penny's worth said! I feel better for that!
Interesting...I also have only told family and a few people at work who are also doing this WOE, but several people have commented recently on how well I look...just said thank you and grinned to myself!! I get the support needed from the forum and find that a much better way of remaining consistent...thanks!!
My OH knows, of course, and one friend. I will wait until anyone asks before I discuss the plan. We are still in heavy winter clothes here in Canada so i probably don't look smaller in a heavy sweater. The belt on my jeans is over 2 spots to keep them up. And I am starting to dig out the smaller clothes. I know that I am smaller. I hope this WOE will speak for itself.
I have not told anyone other than my husband. I've been on every diet invented so if I told my daughters that I was on a different way of eating, they would just roll their eyes. I used to watch Dr.Oz because he had a different weight loss remedy almost every day but I don't bother to listen to the "experts" anymore as I finally found a woe that suits my lifestyle.
I don't spend too much time proselytizing anymore. I posted links to information on the diet on facebook and a few friends. Nobody reads it, nobody cares. A lot of people just accept being overweight, smoking and drinking too much. (I'm talking about a few of my friends.) They don't want to make the effort to change. I hope they have good health insurance, because they will need it to pay for all the meds they will be taking in a few years. Me, I'll stick to my fasts, my vegetables, and my beans and lentils. All we have is our health. When that's gone, nothing else matters.
I've only had people saying it's a fad and "just eat healthily" on the internet but people IRL I've told have been very supportive, even curious and wanting to know more.
I find people who have an opinion about a diet are generally those with a weight problem they can't get under control, and like to slam it as yet another thing that hasn't worked for them. It almost gives them an excuse for struggling with their weight....something to blame. I tend to be quite secretive about what I try ( and I've tried them all) because I usually have varying success. I don't like people asking me how I'm getting on if I'm struggling at the time. I also don't want people trying to sabotage me, or mock as in 'should you be eating that on your diet?'
HelenHighwater wrote: I've only had people saying it's a fad and "just eat healthily" on the internet

And I guess the answer to that is, "You're right about eating healthily - and that's exactly what I'm doing!"

(PS: Love your online name! Brilliant!)
It is hard telling people when they ask what your doing, I've told my hubby, mum and friends and everyone has been really supportive, except one friend that's a nurse. She said fasting isn't good for you and it won't last long term, I kind of couldn't be bothered setting her straight and she knew all about it anyway due to one of our favourite kiwi magazines doing an article on it...unfortunately they had a 'health expert' say they quote 'aren't happy about this diet hitting our shores...that's an eating disorder'. I guess everyone's got their own opinions. I love this WOE however and know that its healthy which is all that matters :)
Lots of people know I am do intermittent fasting. I have had a few people roll their eyes (including one of my best friends, who is a dietitian) but on the whole most people have been supportive, or at least interested. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one ;)
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15 Next
223 posts Page 6 of 15