The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

19 posts Page 1 of 2
It's feed day! Yay!
11 Jan 2013, 20:31
Yesterday, what got me through the hunger was knowing I had a bit of chocolate pudding in the fridge as a treat today, and that I would be making my hubby a steak and ale pie for our evening meal.

What's awesome for you about feed day? What keeps you motivated and looking forward to "tomorrow" when you're feeling hungry?
Re: It's feed day! Yay!
12 Jan 2013, 09:15
I have found I need to be careful on the day after fast day. If I eat what was normal I think I create a glucose spike which makes me feel awful.
My routine seems to have become:
Mon - fast day
Tues - normal but with less carbs or sugar
Weds - normal - with a gym visit
Thurs - fast day
Fri - normal but with less carbs or sugar
Sat & Sun - normal
12 Jan 2013, 14:49
I have found I'm not as hungry on the day after fast day, and I'm eating less than "normal" simply because I am not that hungry. I suspect my bowl of chocolate pudding would have been bigger last week, served with a side of guilt ;-)
12 Jan 2013, 16:25
I'm also finding that my appetite has reduced after fast days, which is a positive effect of this plan :)
14 Jan 2013, 09:16
I'm on a pre fast feed day and I have no enthusiasm for food, I feel hungry for breakfast but absolutely nothing is floating the breakfast boat. I feel like I will just be eating for the sake of it - now that's an odd feeling.
14 Jan 2013, 09:59
Hi

I haven't noticed this at all. I am no more or less hungry the day after a fast day. This is my second week and I've lost 7lbs. The only benefits I've noticed is the weight loss and how flipping easy it is. I've finally found a lifestyle that I can stick to and it works.

I try to stay off the carbs the day after a fast day. I eat exactly what I want on other days, but try my hardest to inculde as many veggies as possilbe. I stay away from fruit, except berries, because of the sugar content. I always promise myself something naughty to eat after my fast day, but most of the time I don't fancy it, which is good I suppose. I love Salmon, so I normally gorge myself on this the day after, breakfast, lunch and dinner. LOL!!
Michelle x
14 Jan 2013, 10:16
shell wrote: "I love Salmon, so I normally gorge myself on this the day after, breakfast, lunch and dinner. LOL!!
Michelle x"

I usually have salmon and lots of veggies as my one meal of the day on fast days and am getting a bit sick of salmon. Going for a very small sirloin steak with lots of veggies tonight...hope that doesn't take me over the 500 but it should taste really delicious after no food all day!
15 Jan 2013, 09:17
I have mixed feelings about eating a lot more today after my first fast yesterday.

I suppose I don't want to undo all my good work and also I feel like I have learned I don't have to eat so much just to get through a normal day.

As I had a good breakfast, I'm tempted to skip lunch or just eat fruit.

I wonder if I will be undoing the benefits of intermittent fasting if I don't eat enough?

Jo
15 Jan 2013, 10:16
Hi Jo

Dr M says the point is not to feel you are on a diet on the off days. I would just go with what your body tells you. I don't now if the much talked about "starvation mode" where your metabolism slows down actually happens in normal dieting or only in times of severe famine. However, just in case it does, I would not try to go much under what your daily recommended allowance is (i.e., 2000 cals for an average woman)
15 Jan 2013, 11:05
Thanks for your reply Caroline.

I was expecting to feel like eating a lot more today after the fast yesterday. In fact, I promised myself cake this morning! But I don't really feel like it.

I'm sure there will be other cake opportunities later in the week though ...

Yes, listening to your body sounds sensible and eating what you want, when hungry seems like the best plan.

Onwards and upwards!
Jo
15 Jan 2013, 11:46
This is my second week on the 5:2 diet and in the first week I bought myself loads of cake and snacks on my first feed day, just because I figured 'hey! it's allowed, why not?!'. But I didn't really feel like eating all of it (but I still did because habits die hard).
Today is exactly the week after and until I read this thread I kind of forgot that I could do that. It just doesn't seem appealing at all.
Had never thought to have such a quick turn around in mind set. Only 1 and a bit weeks and I feel like a total zen food guru, haha!
15 Jan 2013, 12:26
So fast day went rather well and I made a lovely breakfast to share with hubby - a few small chicken breakfast sausages, sliced up, sauteed with a sliced onion, 1/2 sliced red bell/sweet pepper (do you call them capsicum?) and some frozen shredded potato - with lots of seasoned salt, pepper and HOT paprika. Topped it off with a couple of eggs over easy and it was an amazing feast :-)
15 Jan 2013, 18:14
Hi Danau
Yes I feel the same. I thought I might splurge on cake but didn't feel like it. Weird! And most unlike me!
Today after my first fast yesterday, I missed lunch and had no snacks. I felt completely fine which is a massive revelation for me. Wish I'd discovered this years ago instead of stuffing food in!
Tracieknits - chicken breakfast sausages? Frozen shredded potato? That's exotic stuff! I've never seen either here in the UK!
Jo
15 Jan 2013, 18:50
Hi

I had a fast day yesterday, which went really well. Today, however; I have done nothing but think of food and have eaten loads. I have walked 6 miles today in the snow and I wonder if that is why I've been so hungry. I usually stick to 2000 cals on my feed days, but I must have eaten 2500 easy today. Feel a failure :(
15 Jan 2013, 19:33
Exercise will really increase your appetite, but the good news is that it also burns calories. Don't beat yourself up too badly - just keep going. Nobody can be perfect always!
19 posts Page 1 of 2