The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Back from my GP's
22 Apr 2013, 16:58
My GP has just congratulated me on my weight loss (12 .7% of my starting weight). He was very impressed! We only see each other every 6 months so he can renew my prescription for Levothyroxine and BP tablets.
I did not tell him I have been fasting, or that I was fasting today. I don't think he would approve...
When he asked how I was managing my weight loss, I said I was "being more careful about what I ate" and I threw in a comment about exercising most mornings (which is true!)

I mentioned a couple of episodes of dizziness I had experienced earlier this month and he pricked my finger to check my blood sugar level... which was low (0.8 gr/L)* :-o
Not really surprising to me, since I hadn't had anything to eat since diner last night! :razz:

My medicated BP was ever so slightly lower than usual at 130/85 and as a result of the weight loss + lower blood pressure, he changed his prescription for my blood pressure medication.
I used to take a tablet which includes a mild diuretic, but this element has now been removed.

I also have a prescription for a range of blood tests and I'll have the results later this week.

Edited after reading the comments below.
* I have doubled-checked the figure and this is correct. The level of sugar in the blood is measured in g/L in France.
Re: Back from my GP's
22 Apr 2013, 17:00
That is great news! Congrats!
22 Apr 2013, 17:16
Excellent news, you should be very proud of yourself!!!
22 Apr 2013, 17:16
Excellent news :)
22 Apr 2013, 17:19
If your blood sugar was 0.8 I think you would not be typing on here. I happened to calibrate my meter this morning and the bottom end test solution is 2.6 mmol/l. Are you sure ?
22 Apr 2013, 17:20
Good news, well done! Now you're really starting to get the health benefits!
22 Apr 2013, 17:24
Thats what I thought Phil! My knees cave in at around 2.5 and my meter would be alarming at 3. I think yon GP needs a new meter!
22 Apr 2013, 17:28
This is so encouraging, sounds like the "health Benefits" we're all hoping for could be achievable. You must be delighted! :smile:
22 Apr 2013, 17:30
Very well done Keihira with your weight loss & also having your medication reduced.
22 Apr 2013, 17:37
PhilT wrote: If your blood sugar was 0.8 I think you would not be typing on here. I happened to calibrate my meter this morning and the bottom end test solution is 2.6 mmol/l. Are you sure ?

Ha! :lol:
Maybe they read it differently in France?

I made a point of asking and compared it to the last figure from Sept 2012, which was 1.04gr (late afternoon, no fast)...

Edit: I have just looked at my notes from last Sept, and the measurement is made in "gr"...
22 Apr 2013, 17:42
Different measurements!!! My sugar is 91 and it is within the healthy range.
22 Apr 2013, 17:50
different units to mmol/litre I think. Typical French ;-)

The internet seems to think France favours mg/dl, 80 mg/dl = 4.44 mmol/l is a low (but safe) level, 120 mg/dl = 6.67 mmol/l is a not overly high level (below diabetic fasting)

So a reading of 1.2 would be in grams/litre to make sense.
http://lecteur-de-glycemie.confort-domi ... -sang.html confirms

"Les valeurs normales à jeun se situent entre 4,5 et 7 millimoles de glucose /litre de sang, soit l’équivalent de 0,80 et 1,26 grammes de glucose /litre de sang"
12 posts Page 1 of 1