The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

38 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: Enough is enough!
26 Apr 2013, 15:44
Wow! If I had your BMI, I'd eat like that every day and wouldn't worry about gaining a few pounds!
26 Apr 2013, 19:04
I personally like the 1:2:2:2 way of eating as well, so that is one with unfettered treats, 2 fasts, 2 well below TDEE, and 2 pretty close to TDEE.

But for me I feel like there is a difference between overeating and binging.

Overeating to me is about not being able to stop eating something because it is so very good. I do this much less in my (admittedly limited) 5:2 experience. Now that I allow a day of unfettered treats they are not as beguiling. To keep from "finishing" something off I just ensure I have way too much to every possibly finish it, then I feel safe just having what I really can enjoy.

Binging is about a more crazed shoveling of a mass quantity of anything (I once binged on Brussells Sprouts because I only had "healthy" food in the house), so getting rid of all the good stuff doesn't really stop that.
26 Apr 2013, 19:17
I must say, if I don't like something I don't eat it. I'd rather starve than eat okra or cauliflower.
If I don't adore something, I can't eat too much of it. Healthy good is fine but I could never binge on Brussells sprouts.
I'm starting to think that I probably don't binge. I just like to eat big amounts of the foods I fancy.
26 Apr 2013, 19:24
oh, I love Brussell Sprouts raw dipped in homemade ranch dressing. Binging on them is not recommended unless you are very near a restroom the next day though.

Usually though when I binge it is just me standing in the pantry putting things in my mouth. Luckily not done it in a very long time.

Overeating on the other hand, more than I should, maybe once every couple of weeks.
26 Apr 2013, 19:45
I could overeat everyday. Twice a day. Easily... ;-)
27 Apr 2013, 00:32
I laughed when I read about the jaffa cakes. They're moreish - I can eat a box of 12 in one sitting no probs!
27 Apr 2013, 00:34
TML13 wrote: I could overeat everyday. Twice a day. Easily... ;-)

Me too TML13 - if there was a competition for overeating I would win it hands down if let myself.
27 Apr 2013, 01:19
*Sigh*, so many of us can commiserate! I am actually read a book on dieting throughout the ages, and believe me, this is not even a recent phenomenon - she has dieting advice going back from before the Greeks! People have been being made to feel bad and guilty about being overweight and their eating habits for thousands of years!

I still binge occasionally, usually when I think I've ruined my week, or when I cave and have a *little* something, think I've ruined the day, then it's all out uncontrollable eating, hating myself as I'm doing it, but not being able to stop. My last true binge was two weeks ago - I went for a bike ride in the afternoon, and then just came back and started eating. Started with 4 cruskits slathered in butter and honey. Then another 4. Then around of toast with same. Then 4 biscuits. Then a big bowl of weetbix and sugar and milk. Then 6 homemade muffins slathered in butter. Daily calories - over 4000. Then I felt very ill.

I find that once I do binge, I seem to have near misses or more binges every week until I really crack down and consciously break the habit. Usually I start by aiming to not binge the next day. The go a week without it. Then go a month without it. And eventually you stop getting the binge urges. So then I can go a few months without one. Then eventually I lose it, binge again, and have to start all over again!

I'm working on trying to take little setbacks for what they are - little - and not requiring an all out binge, and on working little treats into my diet more regularly, such that when I do have a little slip, I don't see it as an 'Oh well, I may as well eat ALL the things I've been denying myself now that today is ruined, as who knows when I'll get them again' sort of thing.
38 posts Page 3 of 3