The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

47 posts Page 1 of 4
I think 4:3 is easier than 5:2
01 May 2013, 02:16
I started out doing 4:3 for about a month with the plan to switch to 5:2. I'm finding 5:2 difficult. It might be that I've timed it badly: my first 5:2 week was a hectic week with lots of parties, people staying at my house, etc. But, there was something simple and habit forming about 4:3--fast every other day and then have a nice two day treat. I went back to 4:3 this week because all the alcohol at all the parties. Maybe I'll stay on it a while longer...

Any thoughts on this? Any other 4:3ers find this?
I'm still super new to the diet but am also starting with 4:3 to sort of kick-start myself. I find it easier for the same reasons you stated. I think I will go down to 5:2 once I've reach my goal to maintain. Let me know how you go making the transition.
Interesting to hear your thoughts on the matter. I have only just started 5:2. First fast last Wednesday followed by Friday.

Then a splurge weekend with friends over. And a return of some of the weight. I was hesitant starting 5:2 but have not had issues. Today is my second fast this week, as I have settled on Mondays and Wednesdays. My concern is how I will fare with regaining lost weight over my 4 day non fast period. Tossing up whether to fast Friday as well to maintain the weight loss.

My only concern coming to the diet as a skeptic is any possible long term damage/deleterious effects of more fasting days
That`s an interesting view on the habit forming part of 4:3 Mary Ann. One of the things that I don`t like about 5:2 is that you`re always stopping and starting with no sense of continuity.
i did 5;2 last week and lost 4lbs, trying 4:3 this week to see how i get on, fingers crossed!
I've done a couple of weeks of 4:3 and now back to 5:2 and I have eaten so much the past day and a half, I'm thinking of going back to 4:3 again next week. I have also dropped any food on my fast day (i'd been eating less anyway, only a small dinner) so it's a 36 hour water fast, so not sure if it's that or going back to 5:2. Hmmmm.
I do 4:3 most of the time and find it very easy to do.
I think habit is really important. I work in the office 2 days a week, and they are my fast days - I always know that I dont eat in the office, and I do eat at home.

Mind you, causes me great consternation if I have to have a day off work !

One mans flexibility is another mans insecurity
Its nmuch easier on days when you can be busy isn't it? I've toyed with the idea of going 4:3 but with being stuck in the house on my own a lot its hard to be that focussed. I'm experimenting with two proper fast days and one day of around 700C to see if it gives me a more consistant loss.
Ok so I started on Monday - first fast. I must say I'm leaning towards the 4:3 - Monday, Weds and Friday - I think I'm just a bit scared of having 2 long gaps in between fasts and all the weight piling on again - Had planned to do Mondays and Friday. I may just find some kind of natural pattern - I tend to lose my appetite a bit the week of my period and then drastically the following week, so week 3 may well be a 5:2 week - we'll see. Has anybody who has been doing it for a while found they lost considerably more weight on 4:3?
The habit forming aspect is what appeals to me about 4:3 but I want Fri/Sat/Sun for feed days. This week I decided to go with Mon and Wed as typical fast days and Friday a fast day with a splurge meal at the end...so like a 7pm to 7pm fast. We'll see...
Mummydogg wrote: Ok so I started on Monday - first fast. I must say I'm leaning towards the 4:3 - Monday, Weds and Friday - I think I'm just a bit scared of having 2 long gaps in between fasts and all the weight piling on again - Had planned to do Mondays and Friday. I may just find some kind of natural pattern - I tend to lose my appetite a bit the week of my period and then drastically the following week, so week 3 may well be a 5:2 week - we'll see. Has anybody who has been doing it for a while found they lost considerably more weight on 4:3?

If you go to the progress tracker and click on forum stats and then filter the data by diet type you can see a graph of week by week loss and compare the filtered data with the whole forum data. You will see there is hardly any difference between the two diets. It may be that the folk doing 4:3 are using it as a way to allow more food on feed days or that those who have some medical reason for losing weight slowly are choosing 4:3 so that these factors obscure the benefit. However, you should bear in mind that you might not see much faster loss on 4:3. Of course if you prefer it generally then that's fine!
I'm finding it quite easy on the 5:2 fast days, so cutting down a bit on weekday food when not fasting is proving not a bad idea, just eating what I fancy at weekends and only having a drink of Friday & Saturday nights.

Must admit, only week 3 but feeling rather well!
Thanks Carorees will have a look. My sure my body will find its own pattern - love the fact this offers so much flexibility.
For me, the great thing about 5:2 is how you can fit it around your social life. For example this week I went out on Monday which is my normal fast day so I just fasted yesterday. I'm confused as to how doing 4:3 is going to make a hectic week easier to cope with...
47 posts Page 1 of 4