The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

23 posts Page 1 of 2
I'm a huge fan of making my own bread but I have not made any since the end of January when I started on this WOE.

Now I am ready to start making bread again (I've missed it too much) I was wondering if anyone knew of the best / most accurate way of counting the calories in a loaf of home made bread.

I've noticed big variations in the calories for shop-bought bread, so figured things might not be straightforward for the home made stuff.

Any advice gratefully received.

Kev.
This sounds like a job for breadandwine!
Sorry, can't be more helpful. And am also rather jealous as I am having so much bother with getting viable yeast at the moment. Usually make all my own bread and, like you, am missing it...
Add up your ingredients and get their calorie count off labels, web sites etc. That gives you the total calories then weight the whole loaf and a slice and use the ratio to get to the calories per slice.

If stuck post the recipe :smile:
Use the recipe calculator in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=641
Go directly to the source (at least on this side of the pond): the USDA! I use it all the time to add up the exact calories in my homemade bread and other recipes.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
carorees wrote: Use the recipe calculator in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=641

Agreed :) this is the best site for analysing calories of homemade recipes. i cook from scratch and this site has been so helpful.
I use MyFitnessPal and add the Recipe to the My Recipes section, at least there aren't a huge number of ingredients in bread. I have found because we are eating less bread, baking rolls and freezing half saves me from throwing bread away and also you can control the portion size
I make my own bread too, I've never bothered with working out the calories.
Janeg have you tried making sourdough, that way you don't need yeast.
tell me about sourdough....
Sourdough is the best bread. It's made with a starter instead of yeast, that's made from water and flour. The water and flour sort of ferment. It's also supposed to be easier to digest. Harder to make than yeast bread but very worth while.
sounds like a plan
and the yeast I've started off is growing - YAY! home made bread (and I'll have a look at doing sourdough- thanks for the tip)
I've never tried making yeast although that's probably what I'm doing with the starter. There's plenty of stuff in the Internet about sourdough bread. Hope you get your homemade bread soon.
Yum :like: love sour dough bread - just about to make a starter myself using the Hugh F-W's River Cottage Sour Dough recipe for starter and bread to have a go at making full grain.(Found on the internet.)
But as janeg mentioned must have a look at breadandwine's website to see what he does http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/
I use the river cottage recipe. I ended up buying the River Cottage Bread Handbook it's very good. For Mother's Day my kids gave me a sourdough bread making class from Brasserie Bread in Botany (Sydney). :grin:
When I first got my breadmaker I had wondered about calories but I don't bother as I only eat it on non-fast days and limit myself to 2 slices a days and I also think that the homemade stuff has got to be better than supermarket stuff as there are no additives - justified!
23 posts Page 1 of 2