The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

21 posts Page 1 of 2
...I am thinking about doing a water/liquid only fast. Was on 500 cal day today, and when I started eating at 5pm I just couldn't stop - so I failed my fast day.... :frown:
Reading posts in the forum I am wondering whether no food at all may be way forward - would really like to hear from others - how do you feel? How do you cope with hunger?
Hi Maddy

There's a whole community of liquid only fasters here on this thread:

http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4809#p48464

Come over and join us.

Check out the link about the appetite - it really chimes in with your experience about eating kick-starting the appetite.

There'll be a new thread starting tomorrow night, but I'll link to it from the old thread.

See you over there! :smile:

Cheers, B&W
I find water fasting a bit easier than having 500 calories. It seems to me that eating trips me into hunger, more than just sticking to water/green tea. Give it a try, and see how you go.
My main worry would be the insomnia...is it worse than after having had a 500 cal dinner?
The liquid only fast suits me reall well as there isn't the point at which I can start eating again... Until the next day. I like the totally 'off' nature of it. For me it gets easier as he day goes on, as I have more fasting hours under my belt and am less inclined to break it. First thing in the morning is the hardest oddly.
Do you remember the first time you did a 500 cal fast? That's what it is like when you do a liquid fast for the first time. My body is still programmed to be hungry at dinner time but it is mind over matter and the hunger pangs come in waves. Surprisingly once I've fed the family at dinner time the evenings are fine and by then it's nearly bed time so its nearly over. Personally my sleeping is no different on a liquid fast/500 cal fast/normal day. It's like anything else you need to try it once to see for yourself.
My sleeping is no different either. I'm not actually hungry when I go to bed, like Wildmissuss, I'm hungry at usual dinner time but it passes.
I did my first water-only fast last Monday, and am planning to do one tomorrow as well. I have been having only one meal in the evenings on my fast days from the beginning, and discovered that it wasn't really that much harder to stretch the fast into the next day. I didn't have any issues with excessive hunger or sleep problems. If you're interested, give it a try. You can always have your fast day meal if you find it too hard.
I've done three so far. I had two relatively easy ones and one awful one last week, but i was ill and i think i was fasting as I was coming down with it. I have no more difficulty sleeping than on any other night.
I did my 2nd liquid fast this week and so far they don't feel any different to 500 cal days. Tea-time is the most challenging part of the day for me, psychologically, but once that's passed and I'm in bedtime territory it's practically done and dusted. I don't go to bed hungry, but I can tell I haven't eaten, there's a kind of empty feeling which is hard to describe other than it's not hunger. I find I sleep normally as well.
I'm tempted, but as a normal fast day means waking every 1 to 2 hours through the night (compared with waking every 2 to 3 hours on a normal night), I'm naturally worried about the sleep aspect. I sleep appallingly badly anyway so dread making things worse!
Im trying to get in to liquid fasts......I did my first partial one on thursday, and just had lemon/ginger water through the day, then 300g of soup in the evening, and it worked pretty well. Next time I will try to forgo the soup!!
carorees wrote: My main worry would be the insomnia...is it worse than after having had a 500 cal dinner?

I'm a dreadful sleeper normally, made worse by drinking. I slept better on my 500 cal fast days, often the only good nights of the week. I think I sleep even better on liquid-only days. It feels like I need bed more, as I'm cold and haven't had the comfort of food, so I'm more settled in bed if that makes any sense
can I ask if soup is acceptable on a liquid only day?
Completed my first liquid-only fast this morning. It wasn't planned, but I decided to give it a go after having used 150 calories of my allowance on morning coffees yesterday.

After the coffees, I stuck to water with a little lemon juice.

I felt OK during yesterday, but not great this morning, until I had eaten something.

I won't be doing it again. I lost a kilo overnight, and, as I haven't much weight left to lose, think that it was a little too drastic for me.
21 posts Page 1 of 2